1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL punished the Seahawks for their dominance?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by UtilityPlayer, Apr 24, 2014.

1. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Due to the 'Hawks apparently blowing out opponents on National prime time games at home. The NFL decided to force the 'Hawks go on the road on the prime time games.

Take a look:

Week 1: Thursday, Sept. 4, Green Bay, 8:30 p.m.
    Week 2: Sunday, Sept. 14, at San Diego, 4:05 p.m.
    Week 3: Sunday, Sept. 21, Denver, 4:25 p.m.
    Week 4: BYE
    Week 5: Monday, Oct. 6, at Washington, 8:30 p.m.
    Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 12, Dallas, 4:25 p.m.
    Week 7: Sunday, Oct. 19, at St. Louis, 1 p.m.
    Week 8: Sunday, Oct. 26, at Carolina, 1 p.m.
    Week 9: Sunday, Nov. 2, Oakland, 4:25 p.m.
    Week 10: Sunday, Nov. 9, NY Giants, 4:25 p.m.
    Week 11: Sunday, Nov. 16, at Kansas City, 1 p.m.
    Week 12: Sunday, Nov. 23, Arizona, 4:05 p.m.
    Week 13: Thursday, Nov. 27, at San Francisco, 8:30 p.m.
    Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 7, at Philadelphia, 4:25 p.m.
    Week 15: Sunday, Dec. 14, San Francisco, 4:25 p.m.
    Week 16: Sunday, Dec. 21, at Arizona, 8:30 p.m.
    Week 17: Sunday, Dec. 28, St. Louis, 4:25 p.m.

2. Major

Major Member

How is that a punishment? It's not like it affects the game in any way.

3. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

It is lil bit tongue and cheek... but the 'Hawks easily have the best home field advantage in the NFL. That place is insane joint which is funny considering how laid back Seattle is as a city. They deserve to have prime time games in front of their fans for winning the SB and being a dominant team at home.

4. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

how is Seattle vs Denver not a prime time game....That is literally top 2 game of the season right behind SEA vs SF

5. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

FOX gets the game as the Game of the week for them.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

It's going to be weird with Fox and CBS trading regional games.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

It's still 8 games away, 8 at home.

I thought there was going to be a different ratio of that, just for the Hawks or something.

8. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

But the Seahawks definitely got hosed with their schedule having their PT games on the road besides the annual opening game for the Champs.

A stadium , crowd , team like Seattle should be showcased on the national stage for the whole country.

9. areyouserious

areyouserious Member

Aren't schedules already set? The NFL just figures out the dates. They played San Diego at home four years ago. So now they have to play them in SD. They played the Broncos in Denver four years ago. So now they'll get to play them at home.

10. areyouserious

areyouserious Member

Oops. I didn't understand the question. My bad.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

NFL = Not For Long. If they regress it won't be because of the schedule.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And both games not in prime time.

The fox of CBS national game of the week is right on par, opponents wise, with SNF.

13. Major

Major Member

I guess I don't understand the benefit here to the teams or the fans. If I'm going to the stadium, why do I care if the game is in the afternoon or in primetime? If nothing else, Monday is even more of a pain due to work and traffic (an 8PM Central Time game would be 6PM on the west coast).

And If I'm watching from home, why do I care if the game is at home or on the road?

The point of primetime games is entirely about the TV audience of the rest of the country - not that of the teams, which will be watching their teams whenever they are on regardless. The idea is to get everyone else to watch. Seattle's home games are generally not very exciting, so why put them on national TV?

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The only people who are affected by this are the season ticket holders.

SNF/MNF = more money for resale

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its the premise of punishing them for being so dominant at home... which is clearly what the NFL is doing. No other elite NFL team is getting similar treatment.

Last loss they had in primetime was 2007.

Last close game at home in primetime was the fail mary game in 2012.

Primetime games are as much a showcase of the city to the nation as it is simply a football game (at least the SNF game tends to be). I know Texans SNF games in Houston meant more to the "prestige" of the game for the local fans, and there was significant hype in the city, vs. their road SNF games. Same thing when the Oilers used to be on MNF.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They aren't on the road for their first prime time game.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's their only home prime-time game.

Unheard of for a Super Bowl champ.

18. Major

Major Member

You're assuming that prime time games on the road are some kind of punishment - I don't think that's the case at all. The goal of primetime games is to put exciting games on TV. Seahawks home games tend to not be exciting, thus they aren't on national TV. I don't see why this is a problem - the TV network's job is not to "reward" or "punish" a team. It's to provide the best experience for their national audience.

The showcasing the city is silly - they show a handful of shots of the skyline during a game - that doesn't showcase a city. I don't even know what "prestige of a game" means.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If you don't think a home SNF or MNF game is more important to the city than a road SNF or MNF game is, I'm not sure what else to tell you. Living in Houston, I've seen first hand evidence over 30+ years that it IS a bigger deal.

It also does take more effort for teams to travel/play road night games vs. day games. Every single road team would gladly give up the national TV spotlight in order to play that game at noon or 3.

The bottom line is that there's never been a Super Bowl defending champion to have only one home prime-time game the subsequent season.

20. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Never discount home field advantage with a relentless beast of a defense on a national stage with fans in a frenzy from drinking , tailgating and being the only game on TV.