1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fantasy book series recommendation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by arno_ed, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

I always liked the Elric series

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Oh ok, that type of writing doesn't bother me, I know some who it does, like a glorified soft core p*rn.
    I might have to give those a look.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nice bump!

The Black Company series by Glen Cook is excellent, in my opinion. Start with these three:

1. The Black Company (Main Annalist: Croaker) —May 1984
    2. Shadows Linger (Croaker) —October 1984
    3. The White Rose (Croaker) —April 1985

This has the first 3 novels (listed above) in one volume:

[​IMG]

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I read all the black company books. I loved them. I love the books which do not follow the standard path.

Deckard likes this.
  5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Anyone want to give me book pages of sexual content in SoIaF...so I can just read those parts and skip the rest? :grin:

jk, kind of.

Been wanting to read the series forever, but the size of the series kind of has me reading other stuff instead. I'll get around to it some time.

6. arno_ed

Basically every page has sextual content:grin:

It is actualy a bit much for my taste.

7. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

8. arno_ed

Thanks for the e-mail and recommendation, I'll look into it. I have finished the mistborn trilogy. It was indeed a great read.

I'm now going to read Chronicles of the Raven by James Barclay. It was on sale on a bookfair.

9. DarkHorse

FYI, price has gone up on this book, but I found out that if you have Amazon Prime, you can actually "borrow" it on your Kindle for free!

10. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Like many on here have said the Kingkiller Chronicles is one of the best fantasy series to read right now. C'mon Rothfuss I'm jonesing for that third book

My other recommendation would be the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. It is an epic fantasy series that I would love to see made into a movie. Six book series and well worth the read in my opinion

11. arno_ed

Has anybody read the Witcher books by Andrez Sapkowski? I am thinking about reading them (I really liked the games)?

12. arno_ed

So nobody read the books?

13. DarkHorse

I have not. But I asked around at work, and a coworker whom I share book recommendations with said that he read the first book and liked it, but it's definitely a dark, violent, adult book.

Did you ever read the Russo book?

I'm currently reading the Raven's Shadow series by Anthony Ryan, which is very good, especially the first book. (book 2 is very good as well, just not quite as perfect as the first, which is now among my favorites)

http://amzn.com/0425267695

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Black Company is a great series of books. If you like BC, you'll probably like the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Stephen Erikson. He's cited The Black Company numerous times as one of his favorite series.

Deckard likes this.
  15. mikus

mikus Member

The Black Company is one of my all time favorites.

I've been reading Brandon Sanderson lately and if you haven't read his Mistborn series, you should probably start there. I just finished The Way of Kings which is his entry in the 1000 page epic high fantasy genre. I thought it was pretty good and I've just started book 2.

Deckard likes this.
  16. clos4life

clos4life Member

HUGE vote for Wheel of Time, it's better than Song of Ice and Fire, Malazan and Sword of Truth if you are not into pervy stuff.

Wheel of Time books 1-4 are great, 5-6 still frequently awesome, 7-9 kind of drag without direction just adding more and more to the world, 10-11 they start wrapping things up and the last 3 go headlong into the greatest fantasy series finale of all time.

Malazan was too rambly at times for me, didn't tie up loose ends nicely and just seemed to change his vision book to book. It was a bit disappointing because at times his writing is brilliant (loved some of the characters dialogue).

Ice and Fire you might die of old age before he finishes the series and he was loosing his focus over book 4 and 5, going from brilliant the first 2 books to good the 3rd and after that losing steam fast.

Sword of Truth series was rather simplistic and the guy just kept driving his religion home over and over with his worship of art/beauty and the like. Robert Jordan did not like him as he was a clear copycat and nowhere the quality.

Malazan/Ice and Fire/Truth, all of them suffer from too many descriptive scenes of rape/abuse and other perverted stuff for me to take them seriously (plus some pointless rambliness at times), would rather go for writing that's suggestive on those issues rather than descriptive.

I've heard some good things about other series listed here that I have not personally read like Rothfuss and the like which might be worth checking out. I also recommend some lesser series like Deathgate cycle (1-4 setup the world, 5-7 bring all of it together and the story to an epic conclusion), The Empire Trilogy by Raymon E. Feist and some other ones. The list could get kinda long.

17. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Don't know if its been mentioned by I highly enjoyed the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. I'd love to see it turned into a movie.

If I remember correctly it is a six book series and pretty damn epic

18. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

I've been really into Brandon Sanderson's work recently as well. All of his books are surprisingly good, and I personally believe the Stormlight Archive series has been spectacular so far.

What I find really cool is that most of his books are set in the same "cosmere," in a way that's pretty similar to Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series.

19. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

For WoT, I enjoyed the early books on my first read, but they started to go downhill after book 5 or 6. I quit in disgust in the middle of book 9 because they had gotten so slow. When I went back a few years ago to try to re-read the series from the beginning, I couldn't get into it. They just weren't compelling to me at all anymore.

Read the first book of both Black Company and Malazan, didn't like the writing style on either one.

Sword of Truth was pretty interesting up until the books got completely taken over by Goodkind preaching about objectivism, which is total crap. But you're pretty safe if you only read the first four or five. Book two was my favorite.

My favorite fantasy includes Song of Ice and Fire (mostly the first three books, the latest two have been meh), Hobb's Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies (just great high fantasy all-around, plus I love first-person novels in general), Eddings' Belgariad and Malloreon books (they're shallow but fun), Butcher's Dresden Files (chock full of sheer awesome), and Harry Potter (although it's been a while since I read those). I also like some of Brian Jacques' Redwall books pretty well, although they're aimed pretty young, and there's a big gulf between his good ones and his crappy ones (my favorite is Mossflower).

Also, I LOVE Watership Down, but it's only "fantasy" insofar as it stars anthropomorphized bunny rabbits. But it's definitely worth reading no matter how you want to classify it. Watership Down and Ender's Game are the only two novels that I pretty much recommend to everyone regardless of what they say their tastes are.

20. elrond

elrond Member

Just started reading the 1st Witcher book. Right now it feels a bit disjointed, not sure if it's due to the translation or story structure. I'll comment on it again once I finish reading it.