1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cocktails

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by basso, Jul 30, 2014.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I recall a liquor thread a while back, but I don't think I've seen one specifically for cocktail recipes.

A while back I bought a bottle of St. Germaine, an Elderflower based liquor, for a recipe that included scotch and an orange liquor. I didn't really like it, so I've had this huge bottle of St. Germaine sitting around for a while and needed something to use it it.

I also have a runaway patch of mint growing out back, so I'm always looking for something to do with it.

In the summer, when not drinking rosé, my go to cocktails are a standard G&T, a Boulevardier (a negroni w/ Rye in lieu of gin), or a Margarita. Margaritas can be a little sweet sometimes (too easy to drink, and I don't always like to drink carbonated beverages. and a boulevardier/negroni is an all alcohol cocktail, and can easily knock you on your ass.

as a general rule, i can't be bothered with anything that has more than 3 ingredients, so i went looking for something that used St. Germaine, was easy to make, wasn't carbonated, and wouldn't leave me completely trashed on a Tuesday night.

here's what I came up with. In honor of this summer, I'm calling it The Entitled b****.

The Entitled b**** (makes one b****)
    • 1.5 parts dry gin
    • 1 part St. Germaine
    • 1 part fresh lime juice
    • 4-5 mint leaves for garnish

put the liquids in a shaker with ice, shake, then strain into an old-fashioned glass over more ice. garnish liberally with the mint.

you could serve it up, but the mint is really essential. the result is something of a riff on a gimlet or cucumber cooler, but doesn't require muddling or soda. it's slightly fruity, but not really sweet, balanced by the tartness of the lime. use a good dry gin. I used Broker's, but it can be hard to find. beefeaters is ideal, but Hendrick's, or similar wold clash with the floral notes in the St. Germaine.

b**** is refreshing, b**** is easy to sip, but b**** is substantial enough that you won't be tempted to guzzle dat b****.

2. VanityHalfBlack

Been waiting for a thread like this. I do love me a good cocktail. Have you tried any of the alamo drafthouse cocktail drinks they got?

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

easy summer drink...vodka, topo chico and a healthy squeeze of lemon Proportions to personal preference.

5. basso

Supporting Member

no- is that an austin joint?

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Oh my, basso. That's a *lot* of St. Germaine. I find a little bit of that goes a long way up in that b****. I use it by the dash or teaspoon.

My favorite cocktail recently has been the Boulevardier. Most typical recipes make it equal parts vermouth, bourbon, and campari, but I cut back on the vermouth a bit. More like

• 1 part vermouth
    • 2 parts bourbon (not rye)
    • 1.5 parts campari

Shake and serve up, or it does well over a big old ice cube.

7. basso

Supporting Member

yes, it is a lot of st. germaine, but it's balanced by the lime juice.

i love a boulevardier, but prefer rye, as the vermouth is already pretty sweet. crater lake is very good in a boulevardier, a bit on the lighter side, and balances well with the other ingredients.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's a movie theatre that serves beer and just got into the liquor game. Started in Austin, but I believe there is one in NYC now.

9. basso

Supporting Member

Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned:

• 1 (brown) sugar cube
    • jigger of good rye
    • bitters

muddle the sugar with a splash of soda or water until it's dissolved, then swirl the glass to coat the sides. add ice, rye, and a couple dashes of bitters. I like Michter's rye, and Woodford Reserve Spiced Cherry bitters. garnish with a slice of orange or some good quality Maraschino cherries.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There's one less than 10 minutes from my house in Southwest Austin. I love the places. If you get there half an hour early (and you can buy reserved seats ahead of time and show up 5 minutes before something starts, which is great), they show old clips of films related to what you're seeing, often hilarious. They have a range of interesting cocktails, besides the usual. I usually have a local draft beer or a margarita, but I'll check a cocktail out next time and post about it here.

Nice thread, basso. :)-

11. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Tequila Shot

1.5 oz top shelf tequila (Anjeo preferred, 100% blue agave required)

Chill bottle in freezer prior to enjoyment
    Fill Glass
    Sip away for maximum pleasure, shoot for faster inebriation
    Repeat as desired

12. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I prefer mine with Rittenhouse rye (and i'll use Bulleit rye if i can't get Rittenhouse) and a orange peel. OF's have been my go-to cocktail for several years now... but this summer I just haven't been feeling them and been going back to an old favorite - classic margarita (homemade without the goddamned margarita mix/limeade bull****)

13. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I love the Old Fashioned even though I feel like a Mad Men nerd ordering them (I swear I started drinking them before I saw that show haha).

The best one I have had was at Prohibition (I think it moved downtown) and they used orange bitters and Bulleit bourbon and a splash of club soda. I thought it beat the classic rye and Angostura bitters recipe I have always made or had at other places.

14. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

This is one of my current favorites-

[​IMG]

15. basso

Supporting Member

an expressed orange peel is great, better than the slice. i sometimes use orange bitters as well (Peel's).

Margarita:
    • 1 part tequila
    • 1 part lime juice
    • 1/2 part orange liquor

I like silver or reposado tequila, hornitos is a good choice. Grand Marnier, or Solerno, a blood orange liqueur are good choices.

shake in a shaker, strain into a martini glass- no salt.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yup, there's one here in Katy. At the same theatre I recieved HJs in junior high (holy **** was I spent after Dances With Wolves). I remind my wife of that every time we go in hopes that I get to relive my glory days. :grin:

17. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Sucker Punch

1 part Everclear
    1 part Gatorade

Serve over ice. Or don't.

18. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I just had horrible flashbacks to Austin. Jester. 1996.

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm huge fan of gin. Usually just with tonic water and a dash of lime. Or just on the rocks with a dash of lime. Gin is def an acquired taste, but once I acquired it everything else just tastes like water.

Not really a fan of dark liqueurs, but Crown and Hennesse are my go to's there. I'll usually go for a French Connection (Hennessy and Grand Marnier with lime).

20. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

1. Good quality scotch such as Macallen 18