1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ROCKETS.com Growing By Leaps And Bounds

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hicklander, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Lock if posted but i thought it was cool...

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Sounds interesting. I don't visit Rockets.com very often any more but this sounds worth the time. Thanks.

3. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I always thought Shawn Respert was a can't miss NBA star.

He not only missed, he was about 5 feet short.

But thanks for the article. I'll keep up with Rockets.com more often too.

4. MONON

MONON Member

Didn't he blow out a knee or elbow?

5. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

Why the hell you posted the WHOLE article without a link! :eek:

6. Tuan

Tuan Member

He had cancer or something?

7. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

Actually he had cancer.

8. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

9. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Respert is the nicest guy you will ever meet, in addition to being a class act. His NBA career fizzled when he came down with stomach cancer. However, he never went public about it until well after his career was over. He never told anybody during his NBA career because he "did not want to make an excuse, even if it was cancer."

Contrast this type of character with the character of a player who might post something like this on his website as an excuse, even before telling the team about it.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

wow. after reading this I found an article from 2005 on Respert and his cancer.
    he even kept it from his own parents and girlfriend at the time...

good story, I'm glad we've got him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nba&id=1962444

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

LOL OK: "I had a knee problem that made me get stuffed by the rim one night, but I didn't want it to be used as an excuse for why I wasn't playing well. I thought it would be selfish of me to burden my team with that kind of excuse. So I let the team go about its business and I went to my website and explained to the world how my knee was not responsible for my poor performance: my doctors and trainers were. A knee doesn't even have a brain, so there's no use making fun of it for being a wuss wuss. And there's no use telling it about how much money we're getting paid. One day I took my salary for that day in cash--over $40,000: I forget--and soaked it in ice water and I wrapped my knee in $100 bills. And I was like 'Knee, this is what cold cash feels like, Baby.' And my knee was like: 'It's the doctor's fault, G.' It was a humbling experience. I mean it doesn't even have a brain and it said that, while here I was twisting up trees like a swingman H.R. Puffinstuff-Alfred Einstein not having the *slightest* you hear me? That was when I realized: there's as many 'knee doctors' in this world as there are dollars in my contract. Well, maybe not. But there's as many 'knee doctors' as there are dollars in my one-day salary for sure! And when one of these 'knee doctors' says your knee is OK, man, you just ask your knee 'What would Shawn Respert do?' Peace out."