1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Clarity] Contrast Texans Draft Failures

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by val_modus, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That's about right. People always bring up Seattle or SF, but the fact is most NFL teams struggle with the draft. Houston isn't that bad, they have trouble hanging onto guys which makes it look worse.

I think we're slightly above average at drafting. Slightly below average in FA. And poor at cap management.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Most teams miss, I can think of the Pats who in recent years have had ****ty drafts. The difference, they've got Brady under center. Elite QBs can makes scrubs look good.

3. Remii

Remii Member

Lynch and Russell disagrees with you...

And so does San Francisco because the refs helped Seattle in the NFC championship.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Most of them - we can start 250 miles north with the Cowboys' offense. The Bengals have built through the draft effectively. The 49ers, the Colts...

Teams certainly supplement through free agency (as the Texans did in '11) - but built through free agency? The foundation of most teams is the draft. Even a team like Denver has a solid nucelus of draft picks as its core (It's why they could pay Pee-Pee $20MM/year...)

5. Summer Song Giver

I am completely certain that given an internet connection and access to the phone that calls in the picks; I would have out drafted this franchise over it's entire existence.

Especially outside of the first round where they seem particularly, though not singularly, inept at finding the BPA.

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Other teams find gems in their drafts.

Seahawks are probably the best example to use since their defense has well known enough personnel, draft picks and FAs alike. Cap flexibility from hitting on Sherman, Kam, Wagner and Wilson allowed them to create this arms race where they augmented the rest of their defense with big (but not superstar) pickups Bennett and Avril, and having the expendable picks/money to experiment with Harvin.

Steelers have been rolling with 3rd rounder WRs since Mike Wallace. I can't remember other examples but teams find value in the later rounds or studs in the 2-3rd and we're here ecstatic about Derek Newton's good start after 30 bad games started. Or trying to remember who these JAGs are rotating at ILB for us.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Here it is again... "Texans draft bad. They must be the worst. Seattle drafts awesome, bro." -- few teams draft like Seattle. Houston ranks in the middle at drafting. It's not easy to do, nobody has much success doing it.

But, but, but... SEATTLE!

C'mon, man.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I have a hard time believing this until I see it quantified.

Can I pay somebody to research this crap?

9. ipaman

We have value too, Arian was undrafted. Newton was a 7th.

From BOBs 1st draft, we got Prosch and Blue in the 6th and both look like great value as of now. Hal also a 7th looks like that could turn into really good value.

Fairest criticism you could say is the Texans have done okay with their 1st/2nd rounds and late rounds. It's the middle rounds where we have sucked.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Too much is made of this, I can go through a bunch of drafts from different teams where they got almost zero production from their entire draft.

It's a lot more common to have terrible drafts than people think.

Rick hasnt been good, he hasnt been terrible...he's about as mediocre as it gets.

The entire franchise has always just been one big piece of "meh", starting from the top and working its way down through every crevice. It hurts to come to terms with that notion.

11. Hey Now!

If you set the criteria for success, I'll do it for any team that's made the playoff mutliple times since 2010 - sound good?

12. Remii

Remii Member

Hold up buddy...!!! Seattle traded for Lynch. They traded for Percy, and two of their best pass rushers they got off the free agent market last year (like Bennett). They also brought in free agents all during the season last year. So they built through the draft, trading, and free agency...

And an argument can be made that Seattle may have been more lucky than good with their mid-round draft picks because they've been pretty bad with their 1st round draft picks.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Drafting is only half of the story. Player development is the other half.

14. Nook

Nook Member

This just about sums it up.

McNair isn't a terrible person, he isn't a spontaneous meddler like some other owners. However, he really doesn't want to win like some other owners do and he is not willing to hire the people have an edge.

Grampa is perfectly happy hiring good Church going men like BOB and Kubiak and Casserly and Smith and Capers that are predictable, hard working men.... that are just not that good at their job.

If the Texans are good anytime soon it will be a fluke.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . .and at this point we still have no idea who makes these picks

Coach? GM? Owner? The Popcorn Lady?

If it has sucked under every coach and every Gm . . .. . .who else is left to blame?

Rocket River

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This was my knock on Kubiak as well . .. .
    Who did he 'develope'

Arian always strikes me as a bit of curiousity
    How did Kubes not know that talent was sitting on his practice squad for like 2 yrs?

Rocket River

17. ipaman

Just to remind folks our first ever player drafted was Tony Boselli. Never played a single down. We wasted our first ever pick!!! Nice way to start a franchise.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Um, how did whole the NFL miss on Arian? Criticizing Kubiak for finding Arian is mind boggling.

Another fan question that needs to be banned forever - "Who did he develop?"

But to answer your question, look at the two Texans rosters that got to the 2nd round

19. Hey Now!

He sent Schaub, Foster, Leach, Johnson, Daniels, Brown, Smith and Myers to the Pro Bowl (IIRC). Other than that? Nobody, I guess. What a LOSER!

And look at how much better that offense is in Baltimore right now with their starting RB and TE hurt. Flacco is having, far and away, the best year of his career and some scrub named Justin Forsett is averaging 5.3 ypc. Kubiak screwed the pooch with the defense - twice, he turned it over to inexperienced hires who fumbled the opportunity. But the offense here was *never* a problem (until his QB went fetal).

20. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

LOL wtf does this even mean ? How much do those guys you listed go to church ? How do you even know ? So they need to go out and hire a bunch of whiskey swilling satanist and we'd be superbowl bound ?