1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

It's basically between UT and A&M, both sides are confident they'll land him.

2. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

What happened to our defense? Really surprised.

3. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

That would be a big get for Texas.

4. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

5. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Unfortunately didn't get to watch the game but was pretty shocked to see a score that high - for either team. Our defense had the competitive advantage of not having anything on tape for the baylor and ou games, so I'm not surprised to see ISU be able to recognize and exploit some of our weaknesses, especially our ability to contain. I think we will learn a lot about our defensive staff's coaching/game-planning ability this weekend.

6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I think he's going somewhere else entirely.

Neither program looks particularly promising. He's visited OU and Ohio St. Neither of those programs really have down years. At worst they finish with a few losses. You have to go back 14 years to find the last time OU finished with less than 8 wins.

It would be an amazing pickup. 2 out of the top 3 tacklers on our defense were 5 star recruits. Brown also leads the team in sacks. I'm sure this is some kind of anomaly to some posters on the board since getting the guys who are the best at their position in high school doesn't matter anymore.

#5086 Brando2101, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  7. Major

Major Member

In your world, how did teams like Ole Miss or Miss St become any good? No good player would go to a school that's recruiting against LSU and Alabama and Auburn all around them, would they? And since you can't be any good without great recruits, so it seems like their success should be impossible.

8. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Those close to Malik say there is no way he goes out of state.

9. Brando2101

I think you are putting words in my mouth.

My continued thesis is:
    On average, 5 Star recruits have a better chance at making your team better than lesser regarded recruits.

You are warping that to:
    5 Star recruits make the best teams and no team can be the best without 5 star players.

Those are 2 very different points. There are a lot of other factors like coaches and offensive/defensives scheme that play into that. "5 Star" just means they are among the best in the country at their position and that is based on an in-depth look at stats and people whose jobs it is to go to these games and watch them play. Can a 5 star player bomb? Absolutely but they don't on average.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Stuck on stupid. On Average.

11. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I think what Major is saying is that average or even bad teams can get big-time recruits. If they couldn't, we wouldn't have cyclicality and same teams would dominate year-in and year-out. Robert Nkemdiche, the top recruit in the country a couple of years ago, chose to go to Ole Miss during a pretty mediocre 7-6 season.

If Malik or any other elite talent believes in Coach Strong's system and wants to attend a school close to home with great tradition, good academics, etc..., then it wouldn't be surprising at all for him to choose Texas.

12. Buck Turgidson

The Recruitarama continues unabated.

13. Major

Major Member

vj23k made my point better than I did - sorry about that. My key point was that you seem to regularly suggest that top recruits won't come to Texas because we're not very good, meaning that Texas will continue to suck. But the reality is that good players regularly go to bad and mediocre schools, which is how they become good. The Mississippi schools were meant to be examples of that. Tennessee had a top 5 recruiting class last year according to Rivals, despite having sucked for a decade. Ole Miss had a top 10 recruiting class the previous year, despite having no recent history or program relevance of any sort, and being a bottom feeder in their conference. Recruiting isn't as simple as everyone just going to the good teams.

14. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

Yep, and isn't Tennessee currently ranked third in recruiting this year? That's a program that could turn it around quickly.

15. Buck Turgidson

Said every major conference program ever.

Coach 'em up.

16. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

Butch Jones will.

17. Brando2101

I understand what you're saying. That's true. I hope some of these guys come to Texas regardless of what is on the field.

18. Brando2101

cool post bro.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we beat KState, then that would be a signature win.

Hookem

20. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

anyone think UT has a shot on Saturday? I think an early kickoff might help them but usually playing in Manhattan has been treacherous to say the least.