1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets need a POWER forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ricealum, Feb 9, 2001.

1. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

Mason would be OK, Webber better. Anyone willing to REBOUND. our current PFs, Mo Taylor and Kenny Thomas, get killed every night on the boards.

Against Detroit, the game was a close as it was largely because we were outrebounded 48-38, 15-2 offensive. This would never have been close if we had protected the defensive boards. Our "power forwards" had 4 rebounds in 52 minutes.

Taylor couldn't outrebound ANY of our guards, even though the injured Norris played only 13 minutes! This has been a recurring pattern all year. Usually, the two of them COMBINED can't outrebound Francis OR Mobley!

I have new names for our power forwards: "Less" Taylor and "Tinny" Thomas. I suggest that from now on, we refer to them as the Rockets' "Flower Forwards."

------------------
    If you don't remember the ABA, you don't know basketball.

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

We won. We have a great tandem of rebounding guards. Hakeem has come on and gotten active on the glass, why are you b****ing?

If we outrebound the other team, who cares where or who they go to? We outrebounded NY and Philly. Detroit outrebounded us, but our defense (they shot 37% I believe) and our stellar shooting (53%) was what got the win for us.

If you are saying we need to get a rebounder instead of Shareef, then go look at his rebound totals for the year. He averages about 10 a game, but don't be surprised if those were to go down if he came here. Steve and Cat are still going to board for us.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

3. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

We knew what we were getting in Mo Taylor, a great scorer who hasn't been a great rebounder.

But he's worked on that and his rebounding has improved, over the last 25 games he's averaged around 14pts and 7rebs. Not All-Star numbers to be sure, but it is a marked improvement from his Clipper days and earlier this season during his adjustment period.

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

boy, I can't believe none of you Aggie, Longhorn or Cougar alumn aren't taking an easy shot at an embarrassing moniker from a Rice alumn.

Let me take the first shot for yeah, since you guys always need help--jab [​IMG]

ricealum must be one salty dog

no wonder a ricealum can't compete with a harvardalumn, we have no "n".

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I am for getting a good rebounding SF. I like Taylor on the offensive end. I think he really has helped out Steve and Cat by catching the ball. It seemed last year the big men just couldn't hold onto the ball much less score.

------------------
    As the wise Ewok philosopher, Logray, once said, "yub yub"

6. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Don't worry playa because on August 1, 2001 all of the front court problems will be solved [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

ricealum, technically speaking neither alum and alumn are recognized words. But, I couldn't make the harvardalumn part funny with harvardalumnus, in my attempt to poke fun at us.

so, what was your class?

8. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

I was low class, but now I'm much better. Oh, you meant GRADUATING class! :-> 1980. And yes, I was there to see Ricky Pierce play.....

------------------
    If you don't remember the ABA, you don't know basketball.

[This message has been edited by ricealum (edited February 09, 2001).]

9. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Wrong forum for comparing college notes...

I'm 2002 [​IMG] [​IMG]

As if you guys didn't feel old already... [​IMG]

------------------

10. DJ

DJ Member

Is Moochie Norris really injured? What injury does he have?

------------------

11. DJ

DJ Member

We do not need a power forward. We have three solid power forwards on our team right now. Each of our power forwards are a vital part to this team. All three of our power forwards fit on to this team well. Maurice Taylor is a power forward who plays well on the offensive end. Taylor has a good jump shot and he can post-up. Taylor also is very athletic for a power forward. His athletic play resembles the way guards play. Taylor can dribble the ball past the opposing player to get to the rim for an easy dunk or layup. Taylor has the best cross-over move I have seen by a frontcourt player! Taylor can also post-up the opposing player to get the easy shot. Taylor's offensive game brings problems to the opposing team. Maurice Taylor has unlimited offensive skills! We are very fortunate because we have two of the most athletic frontcourt players on our team and they are Hakeem Olajuwon and Taylor. The other power forward, Carlos Rogers, is also very athletic. Rogers runs the floor well, plays defense, score off of penetrations by our guards, hustles, plays energetic, rebounds and gives the team an extra lift. Kenny Thomas is also a solid power forward. Thomas is a solid rebounder, although he is an under-sized power forward. Thomas has nice post-up moves and he can hit the outside shot. Thomas can be used in the post where he has nice spin moves. His array of offensive moves is vital to this team. When Thomas does not score inside the key, he can hit the three-pointer. Thomas makes the game easier for the guards on this team to score by bringing the opposing frontcourt player, usually a good rebounder or shot-blocker, to the three-point line so the guards can score with no frontcourt player under the rim.

------------------

12. Nomar

Nomar Member

Say what you want about Maurice Taylor. The fact is i think that Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, and Maurice Taylor are collectively the future of the Houston Rockets. Pieces can be added through the draft and free agency, but those three will be the core.

Steve Francis- 23 yrs old - the franchise player
    Cuttino Mobley- 24 yrs old - scoring machine
    Mo Taylor- 23 yrs old - will become a very good power forward. 20, 10 guy.

------------------
    The next time I have meat and mashed potatoes, I think I'll put a very large blob of potatoes on my plate with just a little piece of meat. And if someone asks me why i didn't get more meat, ill just say, "Oh, you mean this?" and pull out a big piece of meat from inside the blob of potatoes, where ive hidden it. Good magic trick, huh?

13. Puedlfor

Nomar : I like MoTay, but he wont be a 20,10 guy, he just wont get enough shots.

------------------

14. cato13

cato13 Contributing Member

Mo Taylor isn't going anywhere. I really thinks that he likes playing for Rudy and along with Steve and Cuttino. I still think this was a good pickup and he should be here for a long time.

It is funny how everyone was bashing him the first month or so, but now that he has gotten a chance to mesh with everyone he is a vital part for the Rockets. I really dont hear anyone bashing him now.

I believe he has the best mid-range shot for the Rockets and his rebounding and inside presence is improving. One other note is that his defense is not as bad as people were saying. I would bet that he has taken more charges than anyone on the team. I have also seen him block a few shots.

What he is contributing right now is all we need to ask of him. He also a pretty strong player. Have you seen those thunderous dunks?

I dont think we give him the max but we at least give him enough to know we appreciate him.

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

15. Nomar

Nomar Member

Mo doesnt really need all too many shots to score 20. He usually starts games really on FIRE, then Rudy will take him out or start to run Cat or Stevie Isos. Then he cools off.

Ive always said just keep giving it to Mo when hes on.

------------------
    The next time I have meat and mashed potatoes, I think I'll put a very large blob of potatoes on my plate with just a little piece of meat. And if someone asks me why i didn't get more meat, ill just say, "Oh, you mean this?" and pull out a big piece of meat from inside the blob of potatoes, where ive hidden it. Good magic trick, huh?

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Webber or Bust. You can say all you want to about keeping Mo but if we can get a man that can instantly lead us to the playoffs I say take him. If we keep Mo then it will be another 2yrs in the lottery and the way Rudy drafts Im not sure thats such a good thing.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

17. Puedlfor

To paraphrase : "A good power forward on the roster is worth two great power forwards in free agency."

And you know, the Rockets will make the playoffs this season with Mo, so your farsighted prediction is incorrect. Also, the Rockets draft record with Rudy and CD compares favorably to every other team in the league during that time period.

------------------

18. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Just name everyone Rudy drafted in the 90's and see how great he drafts. Cassell,Dickerson,Mobley are the only 3 who
    will have great careers. Horry was decent for about 4yrs after that he just didn't have the desire anymore.

------------------

19. Puedlfor

Most teams would kill to have drafted three great players and a decent amount of good ones with the draft picks the Rockets had.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Puedlfor (edited February 09, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Puedlfor (edited February 09, 2001).]

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

LilFrancis-- that's a testament to how well Rudy drafts. We were one of the top teams every year, so we always picked in the bottom half and usually bottom third of the draft. Most players around that range don't amount to anything-- in fact about 4/5 or so don't if I had to bet. And you are also leaving out guys like Thomas, Horry (as you mentioned), and even Collier. These guys aren't stars, and in Collier's case he hasn't done much except in that 10 game stretch, but you have to compare them to their peers. That is how you judge a player's worth and also a talent evaluator. Instead of looking at it like "what players with great careers did we get", look at it as how we drafted compared to other teams in similar draft positions (ie no Clipper comparisons). THAT is how you tell how good of a drafter a coach or GM is.

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!
    Teams win and lose games, not individuals.

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com