1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(UPDATE: Rockets change stance) Rockets block ClutchFans from training camp

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

<I>9:17pm - <B>UPDATE: <a href="showthread.php?p=2008509#post2008509">Rockets change stance, allow access</a></b></I>
    ------------------

http://www.clutchfans.net/news.cfm?NewsID=1247

This was extremely disappointing to me. The Rockets organization has singled out ClutchFans because they view it as a threat. If not for the high traffic and how well the training camp reports were viewed in the past, this would not be an issue. They believe that if we went to camp this year and wrote what has been written in the past, it would conflict with whatever "exclusive" they are trying to do this year for camp coverage.

What bothers me is ClutchFans is a victim of its own success. No one else was restricted and far inferior web-based sites have access, including Willy the Rocket Guy (who I assume is looking forward to interviewing Latrell Sprewell) ... all because none of them are considered competitors.

32 Rocket employees, 3 Rocket coaches and 2 players have accounts on the BBS, and those are just the ones I know of. I've posted numerous stories on the site -- including Jeff Van Gundy new Rockets coach, Toyota naming rights, new Rocket uniform photos -- and have had employees all the way up to Tad Brown call me asking me to pull the stories because they were sensitive to them being leaked at the time. This is the site's 10th season -- with Jeff running SaveOurRockets.com in there as well. It's just mind-boggling to me that the team would do that to an outlet that is giving them so much free play and exposure.

It's a sad day though for fans because if a multi-million dollar sports franchise is worried that one guy with a tape recorder and a keyboard is going to beat coverage of their own team, we're in deep Pippen.

2. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

3. mishii

mishii Contributing Member

This is pretty outrageous to put it mildly. What a way to win fans here.

4. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

This site has better coverage of the Rockets than any other on the net (that includes the woefully neglected rockets.com)

5. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

Unbelievable……….Who can we send our complaints to ????

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Good call, Rox. Your site has stunk forever and your ability to maintain coverage in the Cronk out of season is p-poor, so -- let's take a successful NONrevinue site and estop it!

7. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Cltuch, would it help for us to email, take any action. This is utterly ridiculous, there should be some type of partnership and I am sure you would work with the organization if given the chance.

I really want to do something, but not if it will make it harder on Clutchfans.

Please suggest any response we fans should make!

8. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

this, to say the least, is complete and utter bull**** (clutch, i think this thread should have swearing enabled).

9. rhester

"3 Rocket coaches and 2 players have accounts on the BBS"

So you 5 stick up for this site and talk to JVG- he has the power to speak up and be heard!

Free Clutchfans.net!

10. JamesC

JamesC Member

Wow. You probably wont answer but just out of curiosity which two players are they?

Also I know this is dissapointing news but keep your head up Clutch, this is by far the best site on earth and it will continue to be.

11. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I agree. Is there a way we Rocket fans can make our voice heard.

Clutch, maybe you can add banner links to the Rockets official site. All we want to do is "partner" with them anyway.

The Rockets need to realize Clutchfans has done a lot more good than harm.

12. rhester

Clutch- Sticky Please!

13. rocketsmetalspd

Enough is Enough. Who do we contact to express out outrage. I can't not believe that the Rockets organization would be afraid of site that is promoting the team. They should get over it and allow cluthfans.net to do what they do best PROMOTE THE ROCKETS!! :mad:

14. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

My guess, the NBA is trying to bank because of people getting the "Insider" account which is utterly crap. Whatever I guess, its not like we are going to ban the Rockets. :p

15. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

That was a good one..

Back on topic, I don’t understand who is doing this.. do people think Les would do something like this or is it someone that works really high up and keeps things like this from Les? I like to think Les would be OK with at least going to media day, I wish I knew someone over there to do more than just call and complain about it.. :(

16. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

wow just because your official site sucks, doesn't mean you have to have others suck with you. Cheap bastards can't hire a professional webmaster/designer. Great, now I'll just purposefully NOT go to the rockets site. Bunch of p*****s.

oh yeah, employees/players with accounts...let our voice be heard!!!

17. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Way to call'em out.

I know from experience that they will disrespect you until they need something. I guarantee if ticket sales were low or if they needed real fan support instead of ticket-paying fans support they would be all up in yours. I know you, Jeff and the guys have invested a lot of your lives into providing the best representation of this team on the net and even though they don't appreciate it, we certainly do.

BE ENCOURAGED, because I don't know what I'd do without this place.

18. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Sofa. King. Weak.

This site is *THE* spot for die-hard Rockets fans. A smarter organization would *CATER* to Clutchfans, which is the undisputed home for the Houston Rockets fan base.

Very disappointing.

19. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

what a bunch of BS.

I think I'll fire off an email to them later today... In a respectful way of course.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Clutchfans has easily become the place to go for information on the Rockets. From a business perspective, the Rockets organization has to hate this. There's really no point in them even having a Rockets.com if the poorly constructed website, as it is, has no material worth reading due to Clutchfans already covering it & getting more hits.

I don't like it, but it doesn't really surprise me. The Rockets can do something like this and get away with it simply because their fans have such an incredible everlasting love for their team.

If the ultimate goal is to upgrade Rockets.com, well then let's see it.