1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is a SCREEN: Moving or otherwise

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I no longer know what is a legal and an illegal screen are.

I thought if you set a screen . . . the screen could not move . . .AT ALL
    that does not seem to be the case any more .. . Warriors screens seem to go left and right and body up the player [See Barne's three pointer in OT]

I thought you had to be set before you set the screen.
    I did not think the Screener could initiate contact with the person they blocking.
    That does not seem to be the case anymore cause I see multiple instances where the screener runs into the guy then stops.
    I remember bumps and rubs but not full stop screens

Rocket River

2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

From what I have gathered this post season.

If Dwight Howard sets it, it is illegal.

Everything else is legal.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sometimes yes. . .sometimes no

Rocket River

4. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Depends on who sets it

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Illegal screen calls and traveling calls are the most random calls in the NBA. At least traveling does not cause the player a foul.

6. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

It seems that its legal to box out the person you are screening when you play for the Warriors. But Dwight gets called for offensive fouls when the defensive just runs into him and falls. I don't know either man.

7. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

It depends on who the refs favor.

8. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Amazing how Bogut gets away with holding on his screens

Kyrie even started to complain about it

9. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I think that Golden State performs moving screens that move away from the ballhandler. They don't move towards the baker basket as in a pick and roll but deliberately remove themselves and the defender from the play. The referees have already diverted their attention to whoever has been freed to shoot. I think the referees are more trained to recognize the pick and roll moving screens.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Kerr, a spot up shooter has designed an elegant offense centered around illegal screens for Curry, also a spot up shooter, to thrive on. When Curry makes his shot, he draws either double teams leaving a man open, or single coverage that he can easily get around. Every screen they set are either moving or side screens and are by definition illegal. They also play amazing defense and have an amazing transition game. This is why they seem unbeatable.

What grinds my gears is Omer last year got hit with so many of these calls but now they are non existent.

11. bmd

bmd Member

The only way a ref *might* call a moving screen is if a player flops and acts like he got knocked to the ground. But that's hard to do when the player is being held.

And the ref might not call it because he thinks you flopped... which you did, but only to get the ref to make the foul call that he hasn't been calling.

The whole thing is stupid. They need to start calling the obvious moving screens.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the refs see everything we do and more, and they have the opposing players like kyrie/terry/etc screaming about it every game as well. the only explanation for no calls then is that they've simply been instructed not to call em.

13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I was being sarcastic. Just saying the only person I've seen get called for a moving screen in the playoffs is Dwight.