1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here are some of the blatant holding screens the Warriors are getting away with...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 21, 2015.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well, when I say not illegal... I mean not illegal enough to be called. Refs could call something every 20 seconds in an NBA game... so they have to give some leeway.

The Warriors have rightly/smartly figured out how to take advantage of that.

Thing is, it's not complicated. What the Warriors seem to do, is do less "moving screens" of the type where the big is continuing to come out. Instead their guards really "rub" off the screens quite tight and well. And they know that refs are looking for that move... so they then use their hands a bit to make the screen more effective.

It's an equally "illegal" application of the screen... but it's smart, it works.

2. MFG16

MFG16 Member

I haven't read any of the comments but I've been yelling at my TV over this crap all series. It pisses me off when the announcers say something along the lines of "how can you leave X wide open." Of course he's wide open, the defender is being held away.

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Our complaints didn't work OP. Told you Les and Mchale will have to complain publicly. The Warriors got away with the same skit again.

4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Some of those I can see not being called, others are pretty blatant. Green sticking his ass out...in regular season, that would be called every time. The holding should be called...but the Warriors are very good at holding just enough to get an advantage, and not enough to draw a (playoff) foul. Bogut with his pushing, too.

To be honest, I've seen Dwight and some others get away with moving screens themselves. They just aren't going to call those tightly in the playoffs, it seems.

5. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

They do it every single possession

6. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I'm not going to complain about it any further because I'm convinced that:

1. Our players actually want to get to the basket on our screens so the screener is moving towards the basket; and
    2. Their players don't actually move towards the basket on picks. They move towards whoever is shooting.

I believe that McHale would be able to get away with this strategy if he employed it. However:

1. it would take an off-season of practice
    2. we don't have good enough shooters to waste a potential rebounder

Bogut had to learn these skills because of his weak offense. Kerr may have encouraged their spread.

#86 bobloblaw, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
  7. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Some of these would be called in the regular season but most of these would be ignored now.

8. Man

Man Contributing Member

I'm sure there will be some benefit, whether indirect or direct. I'm sure internally there are conversations/discussions or exchange of payments.

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Last year against the Blazers we were victimized by the refs in that series as well. All they did was send out a letter apologizing for a few missed calls. I don't think they will do anything about it. IMO they want the Warriors to rep the West in the Finals. It is clearly stated in this series and been stated all season long. But we can put a stop to this if we play smart basketball and solid defense consistently.

10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I'm watching the game replay and it's ridiculous that Draymond Green gets away with THREE screams at the ref from like 4 feet away in the span of like 4 minutes I'm the second quarter.

11. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

They need to run through those screens with a couple swift knuckles to the ribs or crafty elbows

12. TMackin713

TMackin713 Member

Who cares. We should be up 2-0 or at least 1-1 even with the blatant holds. We missed a lot of opportunities to be blaming this on the refs.