1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks' Felton says no doubt he’s better than Rockets' Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScolaIsBallin, Nov 23, 2012.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Is Kevin Johnson currently playing? What kind of dumb logic is that? Raymond Felton has put up these numbers BEFORE. It isn't a 13 game sample size, unless you just started watching basketball this year.

I'm not shifting my argument. The only people who think Felton just started doing this are delusional.

So stating facts is now hating. LOL.

2. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Definitely playing better than Lin now. Definitely a better contract than Lin's based on how both are playing now. Definitely prefer Lin for the Rockets even at both contracts, and probably Felton is a better choice for the Knicks right now (win-now + contract/luxury tax reasons).

There's one big difference though.

Even when not playing well, Lin improves the play of those around him. When playing well, Lin elevates them significantly. Lin can be a difference maker.

Despite the numbers Felton has had throughout his career, he has never been a difference maker. NEVER. Not even when he played under Mike D'Antoni. And not this year with the NYK either. He's just been a useful guy to have around when he's been fit and motivated. A pretty good player that got his numbers and played the PG role reasonably. Slight disappointed based on where he was drafted out of college, but not a bust either.

3. t_mac1

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LgynHYF84u4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He's better at finishing around the rim than Lin man per Hoop data.

This year: he's 3/4.9 at the rim for 61%.

Jeremy lin: 2.3/4.1 at the rim for 56.8%.

4. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Great in NY, but didn't have another ball-dominant, playmaking guard to play with.

He has to learn how to play off the ball better if he's going to benefit the Rockets, as long as Harden is here, which of course he will be.

5. t_mac1

Knicks are 8-3, 2nd best in the East. Felton is their 2nd leading scorer and leading playmaker. And yet you think he has NOT made any difference this year for the Knicks.

6. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

I mostly agree with this. I'm just not crazy about Felton at all. I would take Lin over him, both contracts, shooting slump and all. I guess it would be an act of faith -- that Lin will improve.

7. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Since we are using sample size to prove things now-adays. Wouldn't you think that Felton's NBA career up to now is a good enough sample size to show he is NOT a difference maker? Or are you going to take the first 8 games and call him elite? If you are going to do that, then you mind as well take the 25 games that Lin beasted in and call him elite.

8. t_mac1

1) Felton is not elite, and never was. What he has proven to be is a starter in this league. He has basically started everywhere he has played. And this is his 8th year.

2) How do you call a player a difference maker? He has made the playoffs twice, and played large roles in both. Just never got out of the first round. And the Knicks will make the playoffs this year with Felton as their starting PG.

9. Akim523

Akim523 Member

How many games Felton played before Lin joined the league? I simply took your dumb logic to an extreme and just like I expected, you are hooked.

The point is, we are seeing the best of Felton this year. He's unlikely to get any better from this point on after being in the league for 8 years. Meanwhile, Lin's entering his 3rd year and he's shown more than enough flashes to convince me he could be a better player than Felton. The only conclusion you can draw at this point is "Felton has had a better season so far." But the sample size, oh the almighty sample size, is too small to judge whichever is clear cut the better player right now.

If you have to, absolutely have to make a comparison between those 2 players, this is how you do it.

--- First 2 years as a starter, Felton averaged 12.8pts at 38.7% shooting to go with 6.3 assists.

I dont need to quote Lin's number, it's significantly better, but like said a million times, small sample size.

10. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

You call a player a difference maker when the team is substantially better/worst based on the presence of the player. So I'm going to go out of my way and use someone like bosh. Miami was significantly worst without bosh (injured), so he is a difference maker. Felton's teams were doing well or not well with or without Felton for the most part, so therefore he makes no difference.

Of course when I say this, I don't include trading players away and readjusting because there are other variables to the changes in team for that. I'm just talking about in a regular season, whether the player shows up or not will not change much to the performance of the game.

For arguments' sake, Knicks was a garbage team last year. Lin started playing and they performed like a play-off contender. You would consider that a difference maker. But because of small sample size, you can't for sure say that he will maintain that role forever.

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

LOL I can tell you don't know much about Felton if you are talking like this. It is NEVER a good thing when Felton is 2nd to Melo in FGA.

12. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

It's like people forgot all about last year's Blazers team, when Raymond Felton courageously led that team to their own 5-1 start and then dropped all the way to missing the playoffs and Felton being one of the consensus worst starting PGs in the league by the end of the season.

Yeah none of that ever happened, right? lol

13. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Felton tried so hard that game to prove that he's so much better than Lin. He took a lot of bad shots as well as trying too hard off the dribble.

14. roxxy

roxxy Member

This pretty much. Felton has a history of getting off hot & then really cooling down. He was like this in NY, then in Denver (to the point where they traded him) & then in POR. In NY he has been alright thus far but you really don't want him being second in FGA. That isn't a recipe for success considering how many weapons they have on that team.

It is kind of funny the reason why people wanted Felton over Lin was because they felt that Lin was to much of a scorer & Felton would focus on just running the offense. Hasn't really been like that much to be honest.

15. Lihao

Lihao Member

10 pages of Raymond freaking Felton discussion , something is wrong here...........

16. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

felton was always overrated. even in college.

17. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

exactly my sentiments, except I don't even need him to improve...Lin just radiates something good and positive ...he simply shines!

18. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

lol wow talk about obessesive fan club

19. Akim523

Akim523 Member

He's a troll

20. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

You seem to be calling everybody a troll. projection much?