1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Morey the first GM to apply statistical analysis?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tmac619619, Jul 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Tmac619619

Tmac619619 Member

Specifically in the NBA,

I first heard about it playing 2k10...

2. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

If im playing the association mode with the current rockets on 2k12.. How would rate our team chemistry(lol 5%)

3. httx713

httx713 Member

I think Spurs GM applies it too, he just does it much better.

4. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

ya think

5. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Celtics, Mavs both known to do it.

6. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Morey is one of the first to basically stake his reputation on statistics. Other GMs could've been using it since the stone age, who knows.

7. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Many teams do it. Sometimes its ONLY used as a method to get to the final decision. Not the whole process of building a team unless you get the extreme examples like us I guess and the Oakland A's.

8. Zfan

Zfan Member

Who cares the first. He'll be the last.

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Morey started it in Boston working with their organization, then Houston jumped on him to be our GM. Morey is the reason they got Allen and Garnett (influenced by their stats). Apparently Garnett is a monster on the statistical aspect of the game (proven?)

10. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

I didnt need stats to tell me that Garnett and Ray Allen were damn good players before they got to Boston

11. jlwee

jlwee Member

Statistic shown that Heat Big 3 will win only 45 games. The Heat made it to the Finals in the 1st year and won the championship the 2nd year.

That prove basketball is not mathematics and cannot be measured by statistics. So it doesn't matter DM is the first or the last GM to apply it.

12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Here's a list of NBA teams that use statistical analysis. Coincidentally, that list includes the franchises that have won every NBA title since Jordan's last championship in '98.

Boston,Cleveland,Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Indiana, Lakers, Memphis, Miami, Milwaukee, Nets, OKC, Orlando, Phoenix,Portland, San Antonio, Toronto and Washington

http://www.nbastuffer.com/component...erm,NBA Teams That Have Analytics Department/

13. albuster

albuster Member

Jerry Krause used stats extensively while he was the Bulls GM. He failed miserabley after the Jordan era and that says enough to explain why Morey himself is failing. It is not using stats that is the problem, it is over reliance on the stats and misplaced assumptions that go with the usage that cause the failure.

14. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

LOL you put LeBron James on any team in the NBA, and they win 50 games... EASILY( i have been saying that for years).. hes that good. Put him on the Bobcats( this past year) and they go from being the laughing stock in the NBA to about the 6th or 7th seed in the EAST( maybe higher)

The Heat winning 45.. lol maybe in a lockout-short season, or with a huge injury bug that hits them

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This. LOL.:grin:

16. aelliott

I've never seen any references to Krause using statistical analysis, do you have any links to anything mentioning this?

Houston does more extensive scouting than any team in the league. How exactly do you know how much Houston or any other team rely on statistical analysis?

17. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

McHale is the perfect coach For the rockets smh that's what the commentators say about the rockets

18. albuster

albuster Member

Go to Chicago Tribune archives. I was living in Chicago when Krause was often reported to produce reams of stats and details about players and other basketball related information. I am in graduate school doing a lot of research for my classes to do the research for you. But do the researcha and you will come across it.

19. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

That frightens me.

20. aelliott

I searched the Chicago Tribune archives and found nothing to indicate that Krause used statistical analysis. In fact, what I found appeared to be just the opposite:

With every rendezvous, Krause sharpens his talent for digging inside a person. More than anything else, more than statistics, game films and coaching assessments, Krause will rely on his instincts to evaluate players. He will probe as deeply as he can, looking for heart and character, just as he did as a special assignment scout for the White Sox.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicago...HIS+TALENT+IS+FINDING+WHAT+MAKES+PLAYERS+TICK

Krause was originally an old time baseball scout and that's how they evaluated players...you just have to have a feel for things. Because of that it makes perfect sense that Krause would "rely on his instincts" rather than statistics. Krause was the direct opposite of statistical analysis.