1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Conspiracy theories...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by haven, May 24, 2005.

1. haven

haven Member

Who all believes in a conspiracy theory? I'm talking about one that hasn't been absolutely proven (as opposed to the LSD experiments in Alabama and the inception of the Spanish-American war).

Who all here believes the moon landing was fake? That Lee Harvey Oswald had some help or was a stool pidgeon? That 9/11 was a government scam? That the Illuminati are controlling the world? That Jack Welch got George Bush elected? That FDR intentionally precipitated Pearl Harbor? That the government is suppressing knowledge of aliens? Etc, etc, etc.

I tend to disbelieve all of them on the principle of Occam's razor. If there's a simpler explanation - and there always is - it's probably right. But given the sheer # of conspiracy theories out there, it's likely that 1 or 2 are on the money.

I do think the common explanation, that "any grand conspiracy theory is false, because if enough people knew of the conspiracy to effectuate it, someone would leak it" is a load of crap. You only need a very, very limited # of actors to actually "know" of the subject of conspiracy. Sort of a wheel conspiracy (the hub can be tiny, with many spokes).

So, what all do people actually believe in here? Why? The internet's full of crap, but I'm curious to know what my fellow ccneters think :).

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

What are the LSD experiments in Alabama?

As for the rest, the moon landing looks pretty legit. That Oswald was acting alone or acting at all for that matter, looks pretty unlikely to me. No idea about the others so really can't say.

You're prob rite about at least a couple of these conspiracy theories being on the money. As the saying goes, the bigger the lie the more they'll believe it. Or something like that.

3. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I really like Penn & Teller Bullsh*t on Showtime and they just did a show on Conspiracy theories, and it was really good... I dont think there are comspiracys, if the government cant keep Watergate and the Monica Lewinsky thing under wraps, how could they keep things like area 51 covered up??

4. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I normally do not believe in conspiracys although there are 2 that I think are cover ups of some sort

1. Area 51
    2. JFK assasination

5. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Moon landing is real. It's easier to just build a rocket and put it on the moon than create a tall tale of that size.

But I do believe there was something fishy going on in JFK assasination.

6. xcharged

xcharged Member

you've said too much...Goodbye mr. haven

7. haven

haven Member

Err, sorry, in my typing I conflated two. I believe that the syphallis testing was the one that happened in Alabama. The LSD experiments I'm referring to are the ones that everyone knows about - not anything new - where the government experimented with the effect of LSD on humans. I'm not sure how much of a secret it ever really was, even though it looks bizarre retrospectively.

8. coma

coma Contributing Member

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think Lee Harvey had some help. I'm unconvinced he acted alone. Believe it or not, I actually think that's the simpler explanation.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

The Magic Lugey

Epsiode:
    Number 34. The Boyfriend (Part 1)
    Scene:
    -Jerry's Apartment
    Cast:
    -Jerry (Jerry Seinfeld)
    -Elaine (Julia Louis Dreyfus)
    -Kramer (Michael Richards
    -Newman (Wayne Knight)

BEGINS...

NEWMAN: June 14, 1987.... Mets -v- Phillies. We're enjoying a beautiful afternoon in the right field stands when a crucial Hernandez error opens the door to a five run Phillies ninth. Cost the Mets the game.

KRAMER: Our day was ruined. There was a lot of people, you know, they were waiting by the player's parking lot. Now we're coming down the ramp ... [cut to film of the day itself- alá the movie JFK] Newman was in front of me. Keith was coming toward us, as he passes Newman turns and says, "Nice game pretty boy." Hernandez continued past us up the ramp.

NEWMAN: A second later, something happened that changed us in a deep and profound way from that day forward.

ELAINE: What was it?

KRAMER: He spit on us.... and I screamed out, "I'm hit!"

NEWMAN: Then I turned and the spit ricocheted of him and it hit me.

ELAINE: Wow! What a story.

JERRY: Unfortunately the immutable laws of physics contradict the whole premise of your account. Allow me to reconstruct this if I may for Miss Benes as I've heard this story a number of times.
    Newman, Kramer, if you'll indulge me....
    According to your story Keith passes you and starts walking up the ramp then you say you were struck on the right temple. The spit then proceeds to ricochet off the temple striking Newman between the third and forth rib. The spit then came off the rib turned and hit Newman in the right wrist causing him to drop his baseball cap. The spit then splashed off the wrist, Pauses In mid air, mind you, makes a left turn and lands on Newman's left thigh.
    That is one magic lugey.

11. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Jordan was really secretly suspended for gambling in 94-95.

12. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Damn....

I think you got something there.

Check out this link... 1.25 mil I sink this putt....

13. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Those are some freaky painting

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I agree with the above as in some form or fashion, there has to be intelligent life beyond our world...

15. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

My favorite conspiracy theory of all time is still NEW COKE

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ok, i agree. add another to my list. people are intensely prideful of their product...particularly when it has historical lore. no way they completely ditch the old formula and replace it with a new one, without that being part of a bigger marketing ploy. i'm not buying.

17. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I was searching for some of his other murals and found out that he painted one here Houston titled the Rebirth of our Nationality. I can't find picture of it.

Has anyone seen or know if it's still there?

18. Cesar^Geronimo

Maybe the Denver Airpot is now on my list ......

Very strange.

19. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

20. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I posted the Denver airport in our last conspiracy theory thread... those murals were an... odd choice.

And the fact that the runways are laid out in the shape of a swastika... again... odd.