1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone getting in line for Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Mar 18, 2016.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Not sure if people here are following this or not. They are revealing their $35k next gen car (Model 3) on 3/31. Online reservations start 4/1 but you can go to the store to reserve on 3/31. The NYC store is telling me interest is very high and I may need to come early because there will be a line. I was wondering if anyone here is doing that in the Houston/Texas area.

Presumably why someone would do this (besides wanting to get it early/is a huge Tesla fan) is because the Federal EV tax credit ($7500) starts to phase out for a manufacturer once it delivers its 200,000th vehicle in the US. Tesla has so far delivered roughly 50k in the US(107k worldwide), but will not be producing the Model 3 until late 2017. I doubt that it will hit 200k(US) by then, but it will be getting close. It is quite possible that only the first 50k or so Model 3s will be eligible for the full tax credit.(it phases out incrementally every 6 months after 200k)

EDIT: And if you aren't waiting for the Telsa Model 3, will you for the Tesla Model 3? (someone pls change the title)

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Is it four doors? Uber won't let you drive for them if it's two.

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

Noone has seen it yet(reveal on 3/31). But it is supposed to be a BMW 3 series, Audi A4 competitor. So yes 4 door mid size luxury type.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'm thinking about trading my 370z in for one. And believe it or not I had no idea there was a potential for a tax credit.

hmm very very tempting.

5. Asian Sensation

I'd much rather have the Mercedes CLA. I heard really good things about it here.

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

There is a $7500 federal tax credit for all EVs(Leaf, Bolt, Tesla), and also state incentives where they apply(I don't think Texas has one, in NJ there's no sales tax on EVs). So technically you have to pay enough federal income taxes(at least $7500) to get the full rebate. Reservations are $1000 refundable, but you have to wait almost 2 years before the car arrives, and that's if you are in the front of the production cue. So thats another reason why people would potentially wait in line on the 31st. That's also why I am curious, as far as I remember I have never heard of people waiting in line for a car before, so I am wondering if it is just a NY/CA thing or more widespread.

#6 CXbby, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Tesla X or GTFO

Or Mercedes CLA

You can pay off those easily with Uber and can attract bishes

Not so much Tesla 3

8. marky :)

marky :) Member

I am.

This is going to be the car I use for UBER while I have my CLA as my daily.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

There are no details yet to even what the Model 3 will be besides $35k before tax credits, 200+ mile range. I am probably going to reserve it on the 31st and decide after the reveal whether to keep it or not. I have test driven the Model S a couple times and if the Model 3 is anything like it(besides smaller and less amenities) then I'd definitely keep it.

#9 CXbby, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  10. CXbby

CXbby Member

I'm also wondering if it isn't pretty easy to flip these cars(like early iphones).

Preorder on 31st.
    Take delivery in late 2017. (tax credit still available)
    Wait until the Federal tax credit expires for Tesla(maybe early 2018).
    Sell the car for $35k.(wait times will be 1 year, people will pay sticker price to skip the wait)
    Get the tax rebate of $7500 at year end.

You just profited $7500.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm interested. Thanks for the heads-up, CXbby.

12. Pete the Cheat

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

In store starts at 10am Pacific, online starts at 8:30pm pacific once stores close and they start their presentation.

So the question is how many people will order in stores during the day?

If it is not that many people, say a few thousand, then it is no big deal if you wait to order online at 8:30pm. However if it is tens of thousands, then it goes back to what I was talking about in the other posts - you may be pushed back in line and have to wait longer for the car and potentially miss out on the $7500 tax credit.

So if there is a reason to wait in line or not depends on... how many people decide to wait in line. As far as I know the NY store said they have been taking over 10 calls a day asking about Model 3 reservations for weeks now. And there will definitely be lines in CA. That's why I asked in the OP, to see if it will be like that in other places too to determine if I need to go wait or not.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Whose "brilliant" idea was it to phase out the tax credit? Whoever is responsible has the IQ of a turnip.

15. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Maybe being 10 trillion in debt might have a part in it....

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What is your point? Not promoting cutting edge technology that also has the benefit of reducing dependence on foreign oil, while also reducing pollution and creating jobs for Americans? Do you think that this tax credit going away will make any dent in the deficit that's worth mentioning? I don't.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Do you have to pay anything if you preorder then cancel?

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Well we are 18 trillion in debt. However debt does not work the same way for individuals or even corporation. The US can have a lot of debt.

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

The $1000 is refundable. They said you are allowed to order for family members, so my plan is actually to order 2 or 3, wait until closer to late 2017 and see how long the wait times are by then. If the wait times are 1 year out then I think I'll be able to flip a couple of them and basically pay for the one I keep for myself. If demand isn't that strong then I can just cancel the extra ones with no risk.

20. mrm32

mrm32 Member

So time to buy Tesla stock again?