1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone getting in line for Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Mar 18, 2016.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

The July date was stated on the conference call that just happened today. It is however not a firm date, just an internal target specifically for suppliers. People will most likely not get it that early, but it bodes well for the public "late 2017" date.

It depends on which day you preordered online if you want a 2017 delivery. They are targeting 100-200k in 2017, but there was 325k preorders in the first week I believe. So depends on how early you ordered. All of them, including if you order today, will get it by 2018 though.

2. Swishh

Swishh Member

Definitely bodes well, thanks. The sooner the better. And I prefer ordered online like 5 minutes after it went and I live in California as well. Hoping this gives me decent odds?

Another thing, sorry, but is there anywhere that lists all of the features of the model 3? Im wondering to what extent will it be able to self drive.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

CXbby can give you a more complete answer, but the full feature set for the Model 3 has not been released yet. The "part 2" reveal (shortly before production ramps up) is supposed to have everything.

Whenever Tesla announces the date for part 2, the buildup will be even more ridiculous than part 1. I wonder if it will be televised.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Swishh, to answer your specifc question on self-driving, that will definitely be an option for the Model 3.

5. Swishh

Swishh Member

Thanks, but to what extent though? I heard it's really limited and isn't as simple as self driving from point a to point b.

6. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...delivery-forecast-accelerates-assembly-output

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

amazing how Musk's plans are treated with the fanfare as if they were accomplishments

probably why he keeps announcing new shiny objects

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Which one of his plans has he not delivered on?

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

delete

#509 tallanvor, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Seems pretty likely that Tesla will sell as fast as its able to build itself into a complete automaker in terms of unit availability and overall line.

Meaning make as many units available as the public demands, and introducing a few more models... Though it seems likely that the 3 will be their biggest line forever as it is the sweet spot in terms of size/price. But there's a couple more lines they can add.

After that no reason why they shouldn't compete with any major premium carmaker. BMW sold 2 million cars in 2015.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

13. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

SpaceX just had a picture perfect mission to launch a Japanese satellite and lands its stage-one on a sea platform.

Because this is a communication satellite, landing is much more difficult to achieve (Musk himself didn't give it much of a chance of success) than for previous missions.

But now SpaceX made it. It had demonstrated it can do rocket reuse for even the most difficult cases.

SpaceX is already the lowest cost provider in the world to transport cargo to space. Now it just demonstrated it could (theoretically) reduced the cost by 10 or 100 fold once it perfect the rocket re-use technology.

What Musk is doing with SpaceX for Aerospace is probably 10-20 years ahead of what he is doing with Tesla for Transportation.

People are looking for the next great frontier after the PC revolution of the 1980's and the Internet revolution of the 2000's. A lot of companies in Silicon Valley believe Space will be the next great technology revolution. But the pre-requisite is the rocket re-use.

SpaceX just demonstrated it.

Since SpaceX is not a public traded company, nobody except people in Aerospace paid much attention. But I think a hundred years from now, school children would learn today's date in their history class.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TIh2PjqfXkQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. playlife

playlife Member

16. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

17. Swishh

Swishh Member

Dumb question :

I was reading through an old reddit thread, and a few people were saying that even if they had the money to buy the car outright, they wouldn't be able to even buy it because they live in an apartment. They were saying they need a garage.

I don't get it. Can someone please explain?

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Probably has to do with the charger

19. Swishh

Swishh Member

What's stopping you from parking it at your house, and then charging it at the many charge stations when needed?

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

inconvenience?

I guess it really depends on the area that you live in, but I'd really be reluctant to depend on a public charging solution. Also, you have to factor in the time it takes to charge the car. It makes much more sense to be able to charge overnight (in your garage) and not have to worry about dedicating a couple of hours every day to charging at a public location