1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Canadian Min. of Defence says UFO's are real!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by 111chase111, Nov 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There are millions of stars in our local area of the galaxy ~ certainly there is life. Is this life intelligent and wayfaring - who knows? One thing is for sure ~ I always find it odd when a man of Paul Hellyer's or Major Gordon Cooper's (Astronaut) stature step forward with a startling claim about UFOs.

Major Cooper said this in a speech at the United Nations:

"I believe that these extra-terrestrial vehicles and their crews are visiting this planet from other planets..."

Cooper in particular was not crazy -- so why go out on a limb like this? :confused:

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Aliens visiting our planets would be like
    athopologist visiting those native tribes
    where they hide out and observe from afar
    and the tribes theoretically never know
    they are there . . .

Rocket River

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm of the other influence, which believes that no lifeform could ever survive long enough to gain intelligence and then visit us. Too much destruction and too many obstacles in the universe to make this a likely scenario. While it would not surprise me if other lifeforms exist, I can't believe they live long enough to make contact. In order for life to happen, you need collision, you need destruction, and ultimately, that need will always come back to destroy the very thing that created it. It seems to me that you need to beat the odds just to have life, and then you need to beat the odds for it survive. While we may have beaten the odds on earth to have life, at this point in time, our destruction seems inevitable.

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Nevermind the mention of UFOs, the real story is that Canada has a Minister of Defense? Now that is just silly.

6. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

even better

that canada's a country

har har har :D

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Sure there are UFO's....they are just observed but unexplained phenomena

But the universe is just too huge to get around much and the Earth is just one insignificant little speck way over in the corner even if you could. It's not bloody likely.

8. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I've heard that pretty much all Air Force brass believe in UFOs.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What a crazy article. Not only are UFOs real, he claims the US is in an arms game to outspend them.

The truth is out there... :eek:

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I think its very narrow minded to believe that we are the only ones with such mental capability in this universe.

11. 111chase111

I think most people are open to the idea that there is life out there in the universe. There are quite a number of people who are sure of it without any proof whatsoever.

However, the problem is not whether there is life out there or not. The problem is how does that life get here from there. Space is REALLY big. Bigger than you can imagine. So big they had to make up things like light-years and atronomical units to measure it. Not to mention that, according to Einstein, the faster you go the slower time moves so if you travelled fast enough to get here from some other star system in a reasonable amount of time (say thousands of years) there would be no one to go back to. While you aged one thousand years (in your sleep chamber) your wife and all of your civilization would be millions of years old.

See Twin Paradox and time dialation for more info.

Unless we discover some new physics (which is possible) there is no real way for beings similar to us to travel to other planets. Granted there could be life that lives millions of years and the thousand year journey means nothing to them but until we actually meet them we're just making stuff up.

As to why would someone visit us? Maybe because we're the closest to them.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You're really thinking about things in the present using 21st century human technology ~ consider what we will have 500 years from now. If you had tried to explain travel to the moon to Columbus as he was setting sail for the Americas he would have told you that was impossible.

Now consider an alien race thousands or millions of years ahead in their development. There are a myriad of ways they could travel vast distances using only human theories let alone their own ideas we have yet to dream up.

Here's one basic example:

Wormholes

So, you want to travel across the universe without wasting years in a space ship? Wormholes might just be the answer.

The universe appears as three dimensions in space (up-down, left-right, and forward-backward) and a fourth dimension known as time. Wormholes are connections between two different places in space and time. Although this is difficult to visualise in four dimensions, it is easier to see in two.

Imagine two points on an enormous sheet of paper, several metres apart. You could travel between the points by following a line on the piece of paper. Alternatively, you could fold the paper over so that the two points touch. By folding the paper, you are making a 'wormhole' in the two-dimensional paper world.

Although there is no experimental evidence for the existence of wormholes, theorists believe that they may exist. Wormholes first appeared possible in Einstein's theory of gravity, in 1913.

Who's really knows if anything is traveling to earth, but it is at least possible.

:)

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Another funademental question here is does the universe need life? If it doesn't, then why would it exist elsewhere. Just because it can?

If life had a purpose, something you could put your hand on, then you could at least say there is a reason for it to exist elsewhere. But as of right now, do we have that answer? The only reasonable answer I have come to is that genes need life in order to survive. But if there are no genes in the remainder of the universe, then would you need life to exist?

I think there is a lot more to answer than is it possible. Could it exist. We knot it can. Here we are. But why would it need to. There seems no purpose. Which would lend ones thinking to the possibility that this was just an aberration. An Accident. A failed attempt by the universe to discover a better way to do things. oops. It didn't work. End of project.

All I'm saying is that people seem to think everything should exist just because it does. But even evolution, its own right, tells us differently. That some things just weren't meant to be. Is life one of those things?

14. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

Canada.

The new Kansas.

15. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

Holy crap! A forward base on the moon so Bush and his cronies can have a preemptive strike on the aliens?

That is AWESOME!

Go Bushy! Death to the aliens!

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I think Columbus could understand how man has gone to the moon. Leonardo DiVinci surely could. It's really just Newtonian physics ( I know Columbus pre-dated Newton by 200 years)

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's true, but when I hear that possibility, I think of Fermi's Paradox. If that could happen for us, why hasn't it happened already for other aliens?

Maybe dark matter is the result of cloaking engines....

18. 111chase111

All that is great and so forth but until someone actually develops a way to go through a wormhole it's just science fiction. I'm not against new breakthroughs in physics but right now any method for FTL travel is totally theoretical.

With regard to Columbus and the moon.... as someone else posted getting to the moon was simply a really hard engineering challenge. No special physics required. I bet if you explained rockets to Columbus (and he didn't have to worry about what the Church thought) he'd get it pretty quick (now, explaining rockets to cave men may be more of a challenge - with apologies to all cave men working on Geiko commercials).

IMO the coolest thing about UFO's being real would be the demonstration that you can get here from there. Other life in the universe is a given, IMO, intersteller space travel, however, is not.

19. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

That is presuming that we really have a lot of mental capability. For all of humanity's accomplishments we have and continue to do a lot of stupid things.

20. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I brought this up on the thread of the same subject in the D & D but has doesn't it seem just a little coincidental that shows like the X-Files, Stargate Sg-1, Earth Final Conflict and nearly all of the Sci-fi channels line up are produced in Canada?

Lets talk conspiracy but maybe this is an attempt by the Canadians to pump up their television and movie industry.