1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Texans Talk] Texans cut 20 players

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rikesh316, Aug 31, 2007.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Cuts are:

Jared Zabransky
    Darius Walker
    John Walker
    Keenan McCardell
    Bethel Johnson
    Wali Lundy
    Tyrone Poole
    Dexter McCleon
    Chad Stanley
    Jon Abbate
    Drew Hodgdon
    Matt Brisiel
    Brandon Frye
    David Anderson
    Victor Degrate
    Brandon Mitchell
    Trent Bray
    Alfred Malone
    Deljuan Robinson
    Tim Bulman

Still two moves to make. No real suprise. Zabransky, D.Walker, D.Anderson, Frye, Degrate, Brisiel, Mitchell will likely join the practice squad.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Little surprised by Malone & Lundy. I'd think Hodgdon would get signed to the practice squad, too.

Good bye and good riddance to Stanley.

3. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

i hate to see lundy go, he did alright last year.
    and i also hate to see mccardell go while we still have kevin who the hell walters.

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Hodgdon can't join the practice sqaud. He was active for more than 9 games in his career.

5. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Taylor>Lundy in the long term plans I guess

also Walker will be put on the practice squad and we can see how he improves next season

6. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Lundy will certainly find a job somewhere else in the NFL. I think he has been well outplayed by Samkon Gado (who in my opinion should be the #2 RB, not Ron Dayne).

7. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I expect them to claim a few players in the next 48 hours who were cut from other teams. Safety, Cornerback, Fullback, and Tight End could use some upgrade.

8. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Safety and Corners could get a look but Fullback and TE I don't get, who is gonna go at those two positions to make room for a cut players

9. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Jameel Cooks and Joel Dressen made the roster but I think one of them will be one of the two last cuts or trade. I also think Shantee Orr will be traded to a team the runs the 3-4 defense where he is a better fit. He could join Capers in Miami.

10. Akhorahil

Akhorahil Member

I feel bad for Mcleon. I didn't think he would make the team or anything. But the guy accidently broke Paris Warren's ankle with 3 minutes left in the preseason. Warren had already made the team for TB. The next day he gets cutt, just like he knew he was when he got burned by Warren leading up to the play. Talk about a bad start to the weekend.

11. conquistador#11

As denniscd would say, "2 more wins!" the jags cut leftwich :p

hmm i'm a little surprised to see that Drew Hodgdon was cut. Kubiak was always talking about him.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Depth chart anybody?

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I'm surprised they kept Cook instead of Abbate. Abbate was having a good preseason.

14. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I wanted the Texans to keep McCardell, so I'm a little disappointed. I thought a true veteran WR presence on the roster (and one that is proven) could only help. (Plus, the guy is a Houstonian.) And yes, I know the Moulds experiment didn't work out before, but that doesn't automatically mean McCardell would go bust, too. (Besides, remember who was throwing Moulds the ball.) Eh, I'll get over it.

15. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

that haven't cut leftwich yet, they are trying to trade him first.

16. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

he wasn't really happy with what the texans were going to pay him. he's over the hill and time to turn in the playbook. :D

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm sure there is more to it than what happened with Moulds. He's been on the serious downside for the past couple of years.

That said, I wonder if they re-thought cutting Moulds once the Schaub trade happened. I have to think he would have been more productive as it stands now. I'm sure there's more to it than that...

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Suprised that they chose Lundy over Gado, Lundy is the only one that could be that change of pace back. Cutting McCleon and Poole might not be the best move considering the talent and lack of depth we have in our secondary.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

McCleon made a few nice plays in the preseason, but overall looked pretty bad. He had a false start on the punt team last night, and also gave up that TD to the guy who hurt his foot.

We'll be fine at corner with Dunta, Faggins, Bennett, and Fletcher.

I hope Abbate gets on the practice squad. He hurt his foot in the Arizona game, but I think he's easily better than Jameel Cook if we're going to keep 2 fullbacks.

BTW, here's an updated depth chart...

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depthchart.html

20. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Anyone else like Brandon Mitchell? Think he would have provided good depth in the secondary at safety...but I guess as long he's on the PS, he'll have his shot