1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Astros] Only 5 teams with a worse record...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by countingcrow, May 28, 2007.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

After losing eight straight games, the Astros (21-29) have a better record by only half a game over the lowly Washington Nationals (21-30)...and too close to Kansas City (19-32), Tampa Bay (20-28), Texas (18-32), and Cincinnati (18-33) for comfort...

:eek:

2. Pocket Rockets

yet after the brew crew lose 5 straight, we are only 7 games out of the division lead. More than what the yankees can say.

keep hope alive

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Greg Oden here we come!

4. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

i have not given up hope but I barely even watch an entire game anymore. it is just too painful. I wonder if we lead the league in K's as batters

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So many guys have had significant drop-offs from last year- Lance, Ensberg, Luke, Everett, Biggio. What the heck is going?

6. Major

Major Member

And the sad thing is that so many guys last year had significant dropoffs from the year before - Lane, Ensberg, Biggio, Lidge, Pettitte, etc.

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I still have faith, but not much :(

8. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

thats happens when you got guys named brad ausmus and adam everett on your team. and also luke scott, chris burke, and jason lane

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

or Craig Biggio, Morgan Ensberg (though he has heated up a bit), Orlando Palmerio, etc...

10. Major

Major Member

Odd, given that all those guys were also on a team that went to the World Series...

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what??? like a decade ago???

oh, that's right...it was about a year and a half ago.

but the Mets have won a pennant since then, right???

oh, wait...they totally haven't.

12. Nice Rollin

and taht team wasnt able to hit the ball either...with clemens, oswalt, petittie and backe, any other playoff team wouldve won the world series...offense was a problem back then and it is now. trust me. i wouldnt have playoff expectations with ausmus, everett, and a bunch of other bums if they played for NYM

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're a Mets fan... and your offensive juggernaut team got shut down in the playoffs by Jeff Suppan (a guy the Astros beat in the playoffs the year before).

Clearly "more offense" isn't all that its cracked up to be sometimes...

14. Major

Major Member

The 2004 team had one of the best offenses in the NL and had Ausmus and Everett and Biggio on it.

Besides which, when did the argument go to winning a World Series? You said when you have guys like Ausmus and Everett, you'd have one of the worst records in baseball (that is what this thread is about). Now your standard conveniently shifted to winning a world series?

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not to mention that our so-called "pitching" wasn't all that great in that World Series.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Well Biggio is like 50. And Ensberg sucked last year too. And Everett couldn't hit last year either. Luke should be playing every day.

17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Take a basically .500 ballclub last season. Subtract 2 very talented pitchers (Clemens and Pettite) and have the 2 good offensive additions (Lee and Pence) offset by craptastic performance by the rest of the roster (Berkman's and Scott's dropoffs most noticable), and you're looking at the 07 Astros. Hopefully Jennings can produce and Scott or Ensberg can regain what they're capable of, or else this is a team with few strengths (Oswalt, bullpen, bench).

18. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

Things look so bleak right now, especially in light of the way the Astros are losing. I just think that the Astros can not continue to think that they will rebound and make some late season run. I know as a fan we always think that there is a chance, but we cant count on it. Changes have to be made, what changes I dont know, but something has to be done. It is on Purpura.

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Yes it looks bleak, but you know, I still believe...The series with the d*ckbacks sucked, but I they will turn it around...

The reminds me about the time Jimmy got fired...And look how that turned out...

20. Nice Rollin

it got you to the world serires