1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets hiring T.R. Dunn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Sep 29, 2014.

1. plee

plee Member

I've always thought this was pretty strange, most coaches would have left after the playoff's. Might have been some issues behind the scenes since most colleges understand this and especially since your just moving a few miles to U of H. :confused:

2. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Thanks for posting that interview. Nice to hear from someone who actually has access to the team, and truly knows what is happening behind the scenes. As opposed to posters on ClutchFans just guessing what goes on behind the scenes.

The defense has been much better this year, and it's probably a combination of factors. But it's nice to hear McHale get credit for something positive.

I think Joel Blank would be a good guest on one of Clutch's podcasts.

3. bongman

bongman Member

How about none? If you asked these fans what they would do to get a coach that will get them 12 wins on 15 games where he only had all his starters for 2 games, I bet you they would be willing to sacrifice their first born. But since it is Milkhair, he will never do right nor can he be excused for any mistakes he makes.

He might not be the best coach for us but given what kind of cards he was dealt with, he has done an excellent job. Give credit when it's due. We pride ourselves of being classy fans but the way some posters talk about the coach is really a head scratcher .

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

For the Rockets, McHale is head and shoulders above any other possible candidate. He and Morey seem to work wonderfully together. The roster and the other employees seem to adore him. And he obviously possesses an exceptional basketball mind.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

But I read online that he sucks.

Dozens of online posters can't be wrong, can they?

6. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

How do you know this? Did someone in the Rockets organization say this or are you just assuming?

7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

We got a major defensive upgrade with Ariza, AND we're finally seeing Harden play to his potential on BOTH ends of the court, if CF's wants to give credit to McHale for this so be it. To me, the single most important thing that's helped the Rockets is Harden's defense! We've improved that position WITHOUT trading a single asset:)grin:) or spending a dime!

Thank you Coach "K"!

1 person likes this.
  8. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

It is most likely a combination of all of the above that is responsible for the improvement. Giving one person all the credit or no credit at all is lazy if you ask me.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

McHale said it

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Someone needs to make a thread "Is T.R. Dunn Murrays best signing ever"

Seriously, I don't know how true it is that McHale is the defensive coach now. If that is the case, why was Dunn hired?

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Hmmmm. You do have a point there. Lol.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

To handle the day to day defensive tasks.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought the head coach was supposed to be responsible for both the offense and defense in the grand scheme and the offensive and defensive assistants handled the day to day tasks. So what has changed, in terms of coaching, from last season anyway?

15. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Last year, McHale couldn't even get the team to defend 0.9 secs.

When asked by Morey, he reportedly replied, "Well, it's because Sampson left. He was the only one who could hold James (Harden) accountable." I mean, wth kind of answer is that?

This year's good defense is attributable to: getting better defensive players, getting T.R. Dunn, and McHale taking more responsibility for it (since it's the last contract year for him and Finch and Bickerstaff). The players did say they focus on defense in their practices.

McHale has to improve this year, because he has had glaring lapses the past 3 years. Insistence on small ball to the detriment of rebounding, lack of strategies to get Harden and shooters easier looks when we hit dry spells, questionable rotations. Posters here have given legit criticism of him.

Since the team keeps on winning, he gets a pass at this time. Let's see when the tougher games come around if McHale can continue to get his team to respond. Especially about the offensive droughts in the middle of games.

16. dmoneybangbang

Really had to stretch for that one.....

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

LOL...When did I give all/not give any credit to a person? We all know that this is a team sport! What I said was that Harden's much improved defense, along with Ariza's addition have been the biggest factors in the overall defensive improvement. I also gave thanks to coach K for whatever he did to finally get Harden to start playing on both ends of the court! All I know is that since Harden came back from the FIBA World Cup he has been a different player!

Thank you coach K/Thibodeau!!

18. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

T.R. DUNN DA GAWD

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Ariza > Parsons on D

20. JazzLakerHater

All hail T.R. Dunn.