1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's the most overrated player in the L.?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sir Geving, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

I just posted a thread "Who's the most underrated player in the L.?"
    Now I wonder who y'all think is the most overrated player in the L.
    I never thought D. Miles have been any good, so I don't know why he gets so much love. He's an exciting player to watch, but he ain't a good player in my mind. People say that he has so much much talent, but I don't see it. He is still young, but I don't see him as a good player in the NBA. Miles has played more minutes every year in the league, but he has shown no improvement. Actually he has gotten even bader than he was when he came in the L. His jump-shot sucks, his handling sucks, his moves sucks and he is what you call a "less smart" basketball player. The only thing that's good about him is his dunks and that he's quick for a 6-9 player.
    But he's overrated in my mind.

Now I ask you: Who do y'all think is the most overrated player in the L.?

2. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

michael olowansuckdi

3. dn1282

dn1282 Member

Michael Finley...he thinks he's part of the "Big 3" in dallas but common.

4. HakeemdaDream

HakeemdaDream Member

Kobe Bryant by far

5. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Michael Finley is overrated?!?

Steve Nash is overrated!

So is Mike Bibby!

And AMARE! :( :)

6. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Steve Francis as a point guard. Bring on the tar and feathers.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I have to agree with the Steve Francis selection. He shouldn't have been on the All- Star team the last 2 years, much less starting.

8. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Why not?

It's not about how you play.

It's about how high you can jump.
    How good you can dunk.
    How you can shake anybody.

It's a popularity contest.

Not about skill.

And since the Rockets never make the playoffs...no other fans feel jealous of him or hate him....

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Scottie -- he is the most self-overrated player.

10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

despite the fact that everybody who was anybody on tv/websites/printed stuff seemed to agree just fine with his selection to the team by the fans and everybody had him on their AS teams, if not necessarily starting?

as for me, i say mike bibby. no one has ever gotten more jock-riding out of a good playoff run than him even though he put up modest regular season stats and the key to his playoff rise was being much less like a pg and more of a sg, yet he seemed to get even more credit for his pg skills. he managed to lower his already low 5 apg to 4.3 in the lakers series.

11. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

no one has ever overrated steve francis as a point guard. they know he's a mediocre point guard.

12. Just B

Just B Member

Whoa, don't you guys think you're being a little hard on Steve? I guess you're just frustrated with him from this past season, but I don't think he's overrated at all. The guys I do think are overrated are:

Antoine Walker, Mike Bibby, Vlade Divac, Jerry Stackhouse, Baron Davis and oh........the Lakers in general!!

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree that Bibby's playoffs performance makes him look better than he actually is. But the Kings' offense everybody is a playmaker. So you don't expect their PG to take up all the playmaking responsibility. Their big men (Divac and Webber) are better passers than many PGs. In fact, the very reason Bibby thrives with the Kings is because he a good shooting PG. His asst/TO ratio is 2.24, compared to Francis' 1.68.

This thread is about the MOST overrated player. Bibby might be slightly overrated. But hardly the most.

I don't think Francis is the most overrated either. But he certainly is more overrated than Bibby, imo. Francis is a max player. He is supposed to be a franchise player. People's expectation on Bibby is nowhere close to that.

#13 Easy, Apr 25, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2003
  14. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Michael Jordan the last 2 years... now maybe Divac hard to say.

15. Woofer

I think you've pinpointed my disappointment. Francis is not someone you build a franchise around, i.e. max contract at this point in his career. May be if we had different coaching or he worked on his weakspots in the offseasons he would be a different player. I don't know if he's watched the great ones play or if there is some disassociation between what he's seen, what Rudy tells him and what he does.

16. francis 4 prez

how has francis not been our franchise player or not shown he deserves the max. last year, we were horrendous w/o him and this year he continued his 20/6/6 trend and was our obvious best player. i only consistently see him get listed as a top 10-12 player which i feel is pretty accurate. would you say he is much below 10-12? maybe a few spots but i can't see him going much lower.

17. francis 4 prez

when you say can't build a franchise around, are you specifically referring to winning a title? b/c then i don't think (or more accurately know) steve is good enough to be the best player on a title team (unless you just have a lot of talent that is real close to him at each position, kinda like webber could win a title by being on the edge of top 10 and not good enough to win on his own but could win it all with an amazing overall team). however, i don't think you have to be good enough to have a title team built around you to get the max. the cutoff for talent for the max is below the cutoff for leader of title team. i don't see anyway steve doesn't deserve the max and if he was on the open market this sumer i don't see any shortage of teams offering the max.

18. Woofer

I agree with you sort of. The thing is we did build this team around Steve Francis, the offense is geared towards his and Cat's talent, iso'ing and taking on the entire rest of the team by yourself, he plays about 40+ a game for the past few seasons so a.) of course we don't do well without him, Rudy's coaching *plan* isn't flexible enough to adapt to this
    b.) may be some other teams would be much better able to utilize his talents and coach him into being a better player, but we haven't been doing such a hot job with our mediocre record, and lack of utilizing his speed on offense except to iso.

My highest hope is that I am wrong and Steve Francis finally gets it this *next* year. It's just that with a relatively short guy like Francis, that speed only lasts so long and by the time he gets it he'll be 35, and he won't be very useful at that point.

19. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

Finley is NOT overrated...he is UNDERRATED if anything. He always guards the toughest opponent on the other team and is a consistent scorer too. Many Mavs agree he is the heart and soul of that team.

And I'm not even gonna start on Kobe...how is somebody who scores 40+ in nine straight games overrated?? Wow, get a clue people.

20. Just B

Just B Member

Exactly. You may not like a player, but that doesn't mean they're overrated! A lot of people seem to be confused about that.