1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lowry/Martin/Dragic/Lee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, May 15, 2011.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

The big argument for Daryl Morey and Rick Adelman was apparently Morey not feeling this roster is ready to stabilize for a championship run. (Too lazy to find it, but I think Morey pretty much said exactly that.) I completely agree the roster needs more but I feel we could go forward with a lot of these players. I know the roster as a whole is not read to stabilize, but IMO we could very easily take the next step with Lowry/Martin/Dragic/Lee. That is a really solid group where 3 of the guys are really two way players and the other guy being an offensive monster. I am really hoping we keep the Lowry/Martin and the backups of Dragic/Lee and try to add a better small forward. Lowry was simply great for a lot of the year and I really think Martin could have another year where he players 75-80 games and maybe even ups his scoring average by a half a point or so. I am really curious to see Lowry, because there is a chance that he could be special. Got to be pretty sure we will know half way into next year. Hopefully he doesn't tank out like AB, but I think he is much stronger mentally and has a more diverse game. Dragic and Lee are great backups that could easily start and impact any game. They play both ways and really seemed starter quality guys.

I would have to guess that Morey is going to try harder this year than ever to move up. The trend is that stars that get traded are dealt for great draft picks or high level prospects (IE Favors). He moves up, gets a guy he likes, but knows that the guy is the best worm he has ever gone fishing with. He needs to overpay a bit if necessary. Jordan Hill or Terrence Williams should not hold up a deal. Morey may not have the right assets at this point to engineer a big deal. Who knows, but that is a scary thought. I really think the Rockets need to focus on the 5-6 guys on the roster they can put to grow together for 2-3 years and then compete (of course needing a meaningful addition or two).

2. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

I like our back court as it is.

3. Roxs-Redemption

2nd in favour

4. AFS

AFS Member

Our backcourt is great, but it'll be hard to upgrade the spots that need work while keeping the backcourt as is. Work some of that magic Morey!

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I like our backcourt as well, but for the opportunity to move up in this draft to get Kanter and/or Biyombo, i would look to trade all but Martin and Dragic (because Lowry would have more value as a point than Dragic at this time). Players like Lee and Lowry could be replaced in this draft or next years.

6. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Those 4 are fine and because of that so is our back court. Its the 3 and 5 where we need immediate help.

But knowing Morey if he feels he can upgrade one of those 4 in the right deal he'll do it SNAP! just like that.

7. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

Offer mid range contracts to Oden and Yao, between the both of them you might have at least one center by the end of the season. They are both worth ten million a season, but not the four year contract that Oden wants. Then since memphis can't afford both Gasol and Z-bo, go after the one they don't sign which the rumor is Z-bo. No trades required, we keep our back court intact and add a monster front court.

8. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Z-Bo has already signed an extension and after his monster playoff performance I expect they are happy with that decision.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Love our back court as is. All 3 front court positions could use a serious upgrade. The problem is that in order to upgrade the front court, teams will want some of our excellent back court talent. I don't see it remaining in tact to the extent we are serious about getting some marquee front court players. That said, if anyone could find a way to use Bud, Pat (not too keen on trading Pat), Hill, TWill, Scola, and picks (gotta keep chuck) to get it done, it's Morey.

As much as i like Dragic, and think he has enormous potential, of the four back court players, he's the one i would move if we had to.

10. 45souf

45souf Member

Are back court is the strength of our team. The 2 areas of need is SF and C. I expect Morey to go all-out for a Center. SF, as i expect to happen is once we get our center that is next. The draft doesn't any superstars that will be there when we pick. I rather have a Center to block shots, then a SF. Although a SF is a major concern, the Center position is crucial.

11. valorita

valorita Member

Lowry/Martin/Lee/Dragic combo is a championship level backcourt. Good mix of offense/defense, youth, athleticism, and all on a reasonable contract.

However...
    As much as I like our current backcourt, we are not in a situation where we can be picky at this point. The goal is to get that superstar player, regardless of position. If that means sending one or more of our "core" we shouldn't hesitate to do so. Once we get that first superstar in place, it is much easier to align everything else accordingly, and the great thing about Morey and management is that they've already proven they can build a great supporting cast from nothings. Can you imagine if Morey and co were in Miami or Orlando; the great role players that they would bring in?

I personally would like to keep certain players, but I understand that to win championships, you need superstars. We cannot fall into the trap of hoarding on to our favorites if it is the price of getting a top 5-10 player.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Nothing Morey has every said implies that he doesn't "like" the backcourt as is. He is just realistic that they are still going to be active in trade talks to upgrade the team if possible.

Meaning, he might really "likes", and places high value on Courtney Lee, but hypothetically if Courtney brings the Rockets a number 1 draft pick in a trade that turns into Derrick Rose, then they are still going to pursue deals like that where its a clear upgrade in talent.

This past trade deadline, virtually all the Rockets players were on the table in proposed deals with multiple teams, but the deals never came to fruition simply because of the high price tag Morey and Les place on them.

So basically if you like Lowry/Martin/Lee/Dragic then great, they are yours to root for unless they bring some clear upgrade in talent in the future... sounds good to me, why not you?

13. conquistador#11

I love our back court and the system we had in place.

The front office needed to find Rick a center capable of rebounding, defending and clogging up the middle. For whatever reasons, whether it was jordan backing out of a trade or orlando matching Gortat's offer, the front office failed in acquiring that big man.
    That's all on the front office not RA.

Had they added a Tyson chandler last season, this team would be tearing it up in the playoffs, with how well they match up against some of those teams with "superstars."
    Many of the games came down to not securing rebounds in the last minute or missing clutch free throws.

14. rocketsmetalspd

back court is solid it is the backup C and starting C that is what the team is lacking. Shot blocking and very good rebounding Centers.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

no one ever said there is a problem with the back court.

it's the front court that is lacking. not just center either.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd like to add two things ...Brooks could have handled the situation much better, but he was playing hurt right when he/we needed to display his wares with his contact coming up. Considering the circumstances DM made out like a bandit.

And on Kevin Martin ....I think he ultimately gets dealt with us getting major value... perhaps acquiring a quality BIG. Lee looks to be the real deal and he DOES play both ways. He makes Martin expendable WHEN the right deal comes down the pike.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not to be the wet blanket but . . . . Fixing the Back Court is easier than Fixing the Front Court.

That is the biggest issue
    I think Pat Patterson/Hayes combo in the front court is good.

Buddinger is a GREAT Backup but i think we need a better starter
    The Center position . . we have neither . . . . .

I think one of the BIG 4 mentioned by the Op
    will have to be sacraficed for some big man help

Rocket River

18. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

The back court is totally fine as it is. What we need to improve, which is far more urgent, is the 3 and the 5 positions. We can't have an undersized, roll player for the 5. I love the Chuckwagon but he cannot fulfill the needs at the 5 position. I love chase, but we need his type of energy off the bench because he is not entirely ready for the start

19. Relentless

Relentless Member

Superman can save Houston

20. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

How is this back court fine?

It is mediocre at best.