1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone have experience with burglarized home/apartment?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigben69, Jul 7, 2014.

1. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I mentioned this in the Playstation 4 thread but figured I would start a thread to get some feedback.

My apartment was broken into on 6/27. The burglar got away with quite a bit of stuff. Around $3,000 worth of stuff....I realize more stuff missing each day.

PS4 - with 2 controllers
    PS3 - with 2 controllers
    Wii
    New Samsung TV
    A few video games
    2 Laptops
    Webcam
    Surround Sound Headphones
    Nintendo DS
    $90-$100 in change

Luckily, I have renters insurance but it will be a couple months until I get my settlement check. The part that is bothering me is that I might know who it was and I don't feel like the deputy is really doing anything about it. I moved into the complex on 6/7. My friend helped me move in and everything was boxed. So no way to see my PS4 or anything like that. My TV was in the box but if you drive around the complex, you can see nicer TVs in the windows as you drive by. So I don't think anyone was watching me as I moved in. Plus the area is pretty secluded and closed off where my garage is located. No one has been in my apartment and seen the stuff that I have except for my girlfriend and a few of my close friends. There was one other person though. A Comcast Technician. He came out the Saturday before the burglary to check my signal levels because my OnDemand was not working very well. He said that the levels were fine and the customer service rep didnt know what they were talking about. He went on and on about how the company sucks and he isn't making enough...etc. Seemed like a nice guy. Service still not working well though of course. He didn't do any actual work. We talked for a little while and now that I think about it, I think he was staking the apartment for what I had in there.

When my apartment was broken into, there was one witness who chased him but could not catch up to him. He called the apartment office and they called the police and gave a description. The cop came out and looked around but didn't see anything suspicious. When I called the police upon seeing that I had been robbed, the officer asked if anyone else had been in my apartment. The Comcast Tech came to mind and i described what he looked like. The officer said that he matched the description pretty accurately. After days of calling Comcast and contacting corporate, I was finally able to get the guys first and last name and turned it over to the officer. I also gave the officer serial numbers for items in case they had been pawned or sold. The burglar only got my apartment and knew exactly where to go. I am in the back of the complex and cameras show the car coming in and out of the complex in about 15-20 minutes. He had to go through the entire complex to get out. Not a convenient escape. The car was a blacked out Dark Blue Buick LeSabre with no front license plate and they were not able to see the rear license plate when he left.

I guess what I am really asking is, do police actually take this stuff seriously or does it happen so often that they don't even bother? Has anyone ever had any success on catching who did this to them
    ?

It sucks. My laptops had all kinds of personal information but luckily they were password protected, as well as my PS4.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Several years ago someone broke into my apartment. I came home and parked my car in the garage and the door into my place was locked so I knew something was up. Went around through the front door and my place was tossed. Stole my flat screen, ps3, some games, all my blurays, a gold bracelet, some computer stuff, and some really nice camera equipment. Cops seemed to not really give a **** but a couple of weeks later the cops found my camera stuff at a pawn shop. I would get in touch with the police and just call the detective or whoever every week. The more they feel you're on top if it I think the more they keep an eye out. Never got any of my other stuff back though. Good luck.

3. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

I had my apt broken into a couple years ago...mainly electronics and jewelry stolen. Police officer was not much of a help, other than taking the police report and recommending I check the local pawn shops for my stuff.

Fortunately I had renters insurance, so I got all my stuff replaced. My recommendation would be to hunt for deals to replace your electronics when you get your insurance check.....I was able to get a better TV/Laptop/Electronics, etc from the ordeal just by deal hunting.

4. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

House got robbed back when I was a kid, and my brother's apartment was robbed as well last year. Police took fingerprints and went through protocol but really they're not much help. Most you can do is keep in touch with the police, wait to see if any of your codes appear somewhere. I would go check pawn shops around your place because you never know, you might find your stuff. Good luck op, I know it's a terrible situation.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No the police do not take this seriously. Assuming you are in Houston?

Unless it's above a certain dollar amount they won't even send an officer. You file a report for insurance purposes, but that stuff is gone.

6. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

We just had a pretty bad break-in/home invasion last weekend. A lady's house was broken into in the middle of the night while she was home. They made her give up her keys and purse, the story made it to the news. In response to this HPD came by and gave a little presentation to help lower your risk of being involved with this kind of stuff.

He said most of the crimes are about opportunity. Is there anything about your unit specifically that would be attractive to a burglar? Are you on the 1st floor? Near a fence or gate? Do you leave your windows open? Are your electronics in view from the door? If your unit is not specifically vulnerable or attractive compared to others I would consider it to be someone you know or the Comcast guy like you were saying.

This sucks OP, best of luck regardless.

7. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Damn, I'm sorry to hear this, I hope it works out in the end with you getting better stuff, the guy getting caught, or you getting your stuff back (if anything, hopefully your laptop).

With that said, to answer your question, generally they won't put forth the full effort unless the items are above a certain amount (usually about 20k+, but I'm definitely no expert), or you're constantly on their case. When our house was "robbed" I called them every other day or so. Of course, I was about 13 at the time. My room was in the back, and it just didn't make any sense to me that they would take 1 item from the living room (a crappy stereo) and the other items from my room (super nintendo, games, tv, vcr, card collection, walkman, bb gun, and a few other things). Turns out, it was concluded that my mother was the one. She had staged the break in, and pawned my items. They found out a lady had pawned most of the items that were taken, including the specific games I had identified, one had a name written on it, all at once, the day of the break in. After this they checked the cameras, sure enough it was her.

Morals of the story....it doesn't hurt to try (keep calling them, ask them for updates) and be careful who you trust, it could be anyone, although some are less likely than others.

Good luck finding the culprit.

8. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Yeah, in Houston. They sent an officer.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Keep after them, OP. You've already done a lot of the work for them by finding what appears to be a solid lead on a suspect. Keep badgering them. Can't hurt and perhaps it'll lead to something. Back in the '70's, my garage apartment by Hermann Park in Houston was broken into, and I have no doubt about the culprit. It was someone who had been over recently, a guy I hadn't seen in a long time that I went to school with. I didn't have any proof, though. Sounds like you might.

10. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I think I actually might have heard about that case.
    Every unit in my complex has their front door on the ground floor. Outside of my unit is a fence and on the other side is the Sam Houston Tollway and there is a pretty clear view of all of the front doors on that side of the complex from the road. No one would be able to see inside my unit from there. There is no other entrance or exit other than the front gate though in the complex. It is a long windy trip to get in and out. Plus since they were in and out so quick. They had to have targeted me. The only windows are on the second floor for my unit. The first floor is just an entrance leading to a staircase. I keep my blinds closed all of the time and haven't really opened any windows or anything. There are other units there that have bottom floor windows and they leave them open sometimes. I see people leave their garages open all of the time. I thought that was strange but apparently there has not been a break-in before mine in like a year and a half. I am almost positive it was the Comcast Tech or he tipped someone off. There is no way I can prove it though unless the cop steps up his game. It sucks because now I won't trust anyone to come into my apartment ever again. The cable is still messing up but do not want anyone else inside.

11. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Will keep after them. Thank you.

12. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Crazy story by the way. Sorry to hear that happened!

13. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Hopefully it is him. I just cannot think of anyone else that would have any reason to target my unit specifically. Especially, that just so happens to match his ethnicity, height, skin tone, age and facial hair.

14. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Did they pay out the full amount of what was lost? I will be sure to look for deals. The TV I bought about a month ago on sale. So, that one might be a little difficult.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It would be nice if you could find out if he drives a dark blue Buick LeSabre.

16. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Good deal on a 55" Smart TV here:

$998 and you get a $300 gift card.

17. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Actually I did have the person that robbed my home arrested. Ironically they searched his house for another reason (drugs I believe) and found a stack of pawn slips which included property from my home.

I actually got my property returned to me because I had the serial numbers off the electronics and could prove they were mine.

:) of course this is in KY not TX.

18. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Exactly....the officer is supposed to be looking into it but he hasn't even contacted the apartments to review the video. He is off today but I am going to call him first thing tomorrow to see what he has done since we last spoke.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I was robbed last May in my apartment, he didn't think anyone was home and just popped the door open with a crow bar. I was up and ran out to see what was happening, he had a gun, made me lay down and tied me up, took basically the same stuff, electronics phones jewelry and my wallet. Story was on the news and had two detectives working the case and still have not found the culprit or my belongings. I had a good view of the guy and did a sketch of him and still nothing. It's hard to catch these guys and with no one being hurt I don't think the cops really put too much effort into it.

20. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Sounds like your gut is pointing towards the Comcast guy (wouldn't be the first time they robbed you) or someone you know. How did they get in? Was the door kicked in? Did they bump the locks? Do you have an alarm?

PSA to everyone else: the officer informed us that having a record of all of your serial numbers is one of the best ways to catch a burglar after you have been burglarized. You recorded your numbers but I don't know how helpful it will be in most cases.