1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Times] The Solid South Will Rise Again

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/20/opinion/charles-blow-the-solid-south-will-rise-again.html?_r=0

So, basically the South is a large geographic area with a strong one party representation. I don't buy it. It sounds like a neat theory, except that Florida and Texas do not fit into the picture. These are the largest and wealthiest of southern states (and the rest of the union).

2. rudan

rudan Member

As long as the democrats play the race card, whites will flee to the republicans.....

As long as the republicans are referred to as the white party, the darker people will be democrats......

Forget liberal or conservative, we will vote along color lines in the future. Democrats will continue to inject race into everything and republicans will continue to turn away from the ethnic proud crowd.

3. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XulDzLIwxfM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thread title made me think of this clip starting at 5:07.

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

rudan just injected race into the conversation, and everything.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Lol flyover states

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Kentucky blackfricans playing the race card recently:

<script type='text/javascript' src='http://WDRB.images.worldnow.com/interface/js/WNVideo.js?rnd=202306;hostDomain=www.wdrb.com;playerWidth=630;playerHeight=355;isShowIcon=true;clipId=10865203;flvUri=;partnerclipid=;adTag=News;advertisingZone=;enableAds=true;landingPage=;islandingPageoverride=false;playerType=STANDARD_EMBEDDEDscript_EMBEDDEDscript;controlsType=overlay'></script><a href="http://www.wdrb.com" title="WDRB 41 Louisville News">WDRB 41 Louisville News</a>

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Keep trolling. You're the only one who brought up race in the thread.

8. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Just for rudan (and from the Houston Chronicle of all places)

The missing story of the 2014 election

Few things are as dangerous to a long term strategy as a short-term victory. Republicans this week scored the kind of win that sets one up for spectacular, catastrophic failure and no one is talking about it.

What emerges from the numbers is the continuation of a trend that has been in place for almost two decades. Once again, Republicans are disappearing from the competitive landscape at the national level across the most heavily populated sections of the country while intensifying their hold on a declining electoral bloc of aging, white, rural voters. The 2014 election not only continued that doomed pattern, it doubled down on it. As a result, it became apparent from the numbers last week that no Republican candidate has a credible shot at the White House in 2016, and the chance of the GOP holding the Senate for longer than two years is precisely zero.

For Republicans looking for ways that the party can once again take the lead in building a nationally relevant governing agenda, the 2014 election is a prelude to a disaster.

9. rudan

rudan Member

Truth hurts sometimes. Both parties are equally responsible for the upcoming racial divide.

10. rudan

rudan Member

Thanks. It looks like the republicans are in trouble, the democrats will reign for the next 1000 years!!!!!

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I think this trend of Democrats winning more presidential election years while Republicans winning more off year elections will last for a while maybe a decade or two, until the white voter percentage decrease to the point where it won't matter that much if it off year election. I believe then you will see major changes in the Republican party.

Republican party is at its core not a white party, it is a rich party, that is the only important point. It will shift its messages to pull in more minorities in the future.

12. rudan

rudan Member

True, this is the republican voter in the eyes of a democrat voter........
    [​IMG]

The only way to change that stereotype to get democrat voters is to play the victim card and/or become liberal on social & economic issues. If that's the case, we might as well not have a 2 party system. It sounds like that's what liberals want. Might as well make Obama king and eliminate elections :grin:

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Both parties at their core are self preservation parties. The basic struggle will always be the haves vs the have nots. Dont be fooled by the names, agendas or the current players.

14. pirc1

Democrats is hardly the party for the poor, but it is less of a party for the rich, that's the only difference.

15. pirc1

By Republican party at its core I do not mean the average Republican voters. If you strip the party down to its very core, it is to serve the rich and big business. It have many messages to get the voters to vote for the party, but the messages can change easily.

16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Well that and duping idiots like rudan into voting against their self interests.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. rudan

rudan Member

What are those self interest and how is the democrat party better? Democrats offer very little to me(I don't want welfare, Obama phones etc). If you say public infrastructure, both parties support that. I'm not a union member, no homo, not black, don't smoke weed, don't envy the rich. Don't really hear democrats saying anything I can rally behind.

My team is better than your team, blah blah blah. That's not really my interest in life. I'd be more than happy to vote for your party if they gave me a reason to do so.

19. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

From the artilce:

Holy cow is this true??

20. pirc1