1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama speaks out in favor of Net Neutrality; Ted Cruz likens it to "Obamacare"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Eric Riley, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

This is absolutely ridiculous. Obama speaks to the FCC and asks for broadband to be treated as a public utility, basically saying that there shouldn't be any fast lanes or slow lanes:

But then Ted Cruz comes in with this gem:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>&quot;Net Neutrality&quot; is Obamacare for the Internet; the Internet should not operate at the speed of government.</p>&mdash; Senator Ted Cruz (@SenTedCruz) <a href="https://twitter.com/SenTedCruz/status/531834493922189313">November 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Never mind that government won't actually regulate the internet and in fact Obama's message is the opposite of this. It's scary because this guy actually has influence and power in Congress.

Ted Cruz's Net Neutrality Take Isn't Just Dumb, It's Dangerous

http://gizmodo.com/ted-cruzs-net-ne...source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Other links in case this one seemed too biased:
    http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/10/technology/obama-internet-regulation/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/10/ted-cruz-net-neutrality_n_6133584.html

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm in favor of net neutrality and generally anti-Ted Cruz.

Howeva!

It's hard to imagine the FCC making broadband a utility and NOT meddling with the parts they say they won't meddle with. They say it NOW, but as time goes on, they would surely meddle in unfortunate ways. I would like a way to achieve something like net neutrality without getting it classified as a regulated utility.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

incorrect. Net Neutrality is the government regulating internet speeds.

Whats dangerous is the supporters of Net Neutrality who don't know what it is.
    <iframe style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe>

#3 tallanvor, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  4. justtxyank

Net neutrality is regulation, but the idea that ALL regulation equals big government disaster is ridiculous.

If the regulation stops at "companies can't discriminate regarding internet speeds" than that would be fine with me. Imagine if the highway worked this way. A company like Wal-Mart could buy access to the freeway, but everyone else had to drive the normal streets and sit behind red lights unless they were willing to pay the going rate.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's regulating the consistency of the speed, not the speed itself. It's dangerous when conservatives don't know what they're talking about.

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I mean why do we need to regulate anything? Why regulate food, sell expired milk if you wish. why regulate medicine, if you kill someone, tough luck. I mean government is all evil, it cannot possibly do anything good.

7. Eric Riley

Equally dangerous is opponents of Net Neutrality who don't know what it is.

Please find evidence that Net Neutrality is government regulating the internet, or the "internet speeds" as you say, when this whole time the idea has been that no one entity should be able to regulate it in a limiting way.

#7 Eric Riley, Nov 10, 2014
  8. tallanvor

nobody has claimed this.

This is far less efficient. Wal-mart needs faster speeds than your average user. Honestly, it sound awful.

Prevents citizens rights from being violated. The EPA would be a good example of regulation that does this (regulating air pollution).

Every poster after me not evidence enough?

here is today's la times article on the issue:

#8 tallanvor, Nov 10, 2014
  9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I wish Obama would come out in favor of Teddy running for president.

10. justtxyank

A system that allows the biggest player to buy the better speed while lowering the speed for those who don't pay would in fact be destroying the market place to where only the ones who have already succeeded get to play.

The highway example...

If the highway is reserved for WalMart and unless you pay the fee they paid, not only do you NOT get the highway, but you don't even get the feeder roads, then you are creating a system where no new company could ever compete. You have stacked the deck.

Or a power company. Can Reliant tell Sprouts that unless they pay $15 million in extra fees like HEB has agreed, then they will make their electrical power intermittent so they are constantly rebooting systems?

11. tallanvor

In every market, the bigger spender has an advantage. This does not destroy the market.

12. Eric Riley

Tallanvor, I'm trying to understand your position on this, as you haven't made it clear. Are you favoring Net Neutrality and just see it as something the government will regulate anyway? If so, I can understand this viewpoint.

Or are you against the idea of it and qualifying it by saying ISPs controlling broadband is better than government controlling it?

I'm not saying you're restricted to these two viewpoints.

13. tallanvor

100% against it

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

^^ the article and quote above doesn't show the government regulating the internet (if that is your intent)... it shows that the government is regulating internet service providers from offering different speeds for different users paying the same.

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~raylin/whatisnetneutrality.htm

15. justtxyank

No, the bigger spender has a price advantage for buying in bulk. There is a difference.

16. tallanvor

they can buy a better quality product. That's what they are doing here.

In your highway example, a trucking company can buy faster trucks if they pay more? is this fair? of course it is.

Regulation of the supplier is regulation.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I also find it useful to see who is for and against an issue... in this case, those against net neutrality include the Cato Institute, conservative politicians like Ted Cruz, and internet service providers. That list above is enough to convince me that I am for it... even if I didn't study the issue.

1 person likes this.
  18. justtxyank

In the highway example, the highway is the internet, not the trucks. Companies can buy better servers, routers, cables, etc. to improve their access. WalMart doesn't get to buy priority access to the roads, no matter how good their trucks are.

19. tallanvor

depends who laid down the roads? a private road they could........

it wasn't cheap for ISPs to lay down all this 'plumbing'

20. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why would anyone want a closed internet? What makes it great is that all data is equal. Have the last 20 years of the internet been so terrible that we need to start closing it up and creating a tiered system of data access and the like?