1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clutch Community "GIVES THANKS" (11/26)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roc Paint, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I'm very proud to say that Clutch Community has organized its fifth event already! Time flies when you're doing something you love...

I also want to express that our upcoming events in November and December will be some of our most influential charities to date. As many of you know, there are far too many people spending the holidays alone, hungry, and 'without' in the city of Houston. It's amazing what the gift of just a smile, a hug, or a warm meal can do for someone...especially during the holiday season.

Please consider joining us at the Star of Hope Women and Family Emergency Shelter (our second visit to one of the most rewarding events thus far) on Wednesday, 26-November from 4:00 PM - 6:30 PM to assist with prepping, serving, and clean-up of dinner.

For all who have reached out to support our city through Clutch Community, I want to say THANK YOU!! Very briefly, I'd like to thank the following persons for their contributions:

• Clutch - for allowing us to do this on your site, spreading the good word about ClutchFans. Clutch Community won't let you down.
    • RocRouge - my wife...none of this would be possible without you.
    • bobrek - for all of your monetary donations from afar.
    • Mr. Clutch - for all of your hard work and constant dedication
    • shastarocket - your help is and always will be appreciated...and thanks for dumping the bucket of ice water over my head! :eek: lol
    • finalsbound - for being on the front lines at our first endeavor.
    • mikol13 - for your genuine and heartfelt enthusiasm...together I know Clutch Community will grow larger than Houston. (Deckard, we will be coming for you in Austin for community service - I hope you will be in attendance).
    • Plowman - your love for others is undeniable...you have a heart of gold.
    • benchmoochie - for your dedication, promotion and support of our greater cause...keep up the good work.
    • heypartner - for your anticipated commitment to our November event and the opening day ticket offer...looking forward to meeting you.
    • HFD (Station 50) - for the pre-season ticket donations.
    • Outside ClutchFans Participants - this site may not recognize you per se, but your generosity is well-known (and appreciated)!

I also appreciate everyone who has signed up to join one of our events but haven't yet been able to participate due to outside obligations. And thanks again to everyone who joined the Clutch Community Group...hopefully you will ALL be in attendance at a future event with us! Feel free to contact me with any questions...my info is readily available in the Clutch Community Social (/Service) group.

And last but not least, may you all have a very happy and safe holiday season!

Yours Truly,
    Roc Paint

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Roc Paint, thank you for your leadership in setting all this up! Obviously wouldn't happen without you!

I'm pretty sure I can make this. It really was an awesome experience last time.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Oh, this is for Wednesday, not Thanksgiving? Thx for posting. I might have showed up a day late.

btw: are we supposed to register or just show up?

#3 heypartner, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  4. Roc Paint

No...just say you are with the Clutch Community. :)

5. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

Is it ok to post the address here as well? Also, do we need to sign up beforehand? A lot of it depends on whether I could get off work early enough.

Thanks!

6. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

hello, apparently thanksgiving was booked for another event the shelter was having, so our time slot is indeed wednesday.

7. benchmoochie

Ok, I can attend.

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Thanks for all of your efforts RP! It's tough getting away with a baby at home, but I really hope to join one of these events along with my wife in the near future.

9. Roc Paint

Here is the information that was sent to me for all to see.

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for wanting to come back again and serve with us! We are expecting your group to volunteer at the Star of Hope for the following:

Date: November 26th, 2014
    Time: 4:00pm-6:30pm
    Location: Women and Family Emergency Shelter, 419 Dowling, Houston, Tx, 77003 (832-487-1200)
    Project: To assist with preparation, serving and clean-up of dinner.

For any new volunteers please have them watch this video about volunteering in the kitchen before volunteering: http://www.sohmission.org/volunteer-orientation and review the attached guidelines.

Again, please be sure to sign in and out under your PIN # 742013 at the reception desk. Please let me know if any of your group members need their Personal Identification Numbers.

Thank you for your support of Star of Hope and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Amber Wilmeth
    Volunteer Liaison
    Star of Hope Mission
    713-440-5333
    www.sohmission.org
    Hope For The Homeless - Blog

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Good Luck and thanks for your efforts. Donation made on y'all's behalf.

Roc Paint likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Roc Paint, the NewRoxFan family (Rick, Laurie, Marisa, and Olivia) would be honored to help you and the ccf.net family serve on November 26. I have the directions... we'll see y'all on the 26th.

12. benchmoochie

/bump. you may want to put this in the social group thread. Does the social group thread have an email alert to it/.

13. Roc Paint

I just posted all of the information in the social group. My personal contacts are there as well.

NewRoxFan, I appreciate you wanting to join us... Please be aware that the Star of Hope only allows persons 18 years or older in their kitchen. There are some activities/crafts your children can do from home.

I'll post some more details for the kids momentarily.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Thanks for the info. My older daughter is 20, but the younger daughter is 16 so I think I will have her stay home. I know she has a basketball practice earlier that day... so I am betting she will be able to use the break.

15. Roc Paint

Here is some information for those of you who have 'little ones' and want to be involved.

Hello Kevin!

Please pass this message onto your friend who has younger children that would like to volunteer. For almost all of our onsite projects, we ask that our volunteers are high school age and older. However, we have a few onsite projects for those that are Jr. High age and younger as well as several offsite projects.
    “Snacks & Goodnight” is a project suitable for any age. This project has been a tremendous hit with our volunteers, as well as a huge blessing for those we serve. Our volunteers provide an evening snack for all of our guests and get to help pass it out! At the request of our parents, we have made changes to include healthy snack choices and reserved cookies for only Wednesday or Friday evenings:
    · Mondays – popcorn, pretzels or goldfish
    Tuesdays – peanut butter & jelly finger sandwiches
    Wednesdays – cookies
    Thursdays – fruit or veggie trays
    Fridays – cookies
    Saturdays – pudding cups, Jell-O cups or fruit cups
    Sundays – Rice Crispy treats or granola bars
    We have two Star of Hope locations where we offer this project: (Group size: no more than 10 please.)
    1. Women and Family Emergency Shelter (300 clients/snacks) on 419 Dowling St., Houston, TX 77003 [on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings] from 7:15 pm – 8:15 pm
    2. Transitional Living Center (125 clients/snacks) on 6801 Ardmore St., Houston, TX 77054 [on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings] from 7:45 pm – 8:45 pm

16. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

I will definitely try to go to this, thanks for the heads up!

17. Roc Paint

Clutch Community may have to spread its greatness to other locations for the Star of Hope at the date/time listed above. This is exactly what I've been hoping/praying for.

18. RocRouge

RocRouge Contributing Member

Who's coming with us?!? :)

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Sorry for my absence, I have been beyond busy with work and my boys. That said, I'm so ready to get this fired back up!!

Let me just say, that the last time we were at this Star of Hope center, it left a lasting impression on me. I realized that giving back absolutely had to be a major part of my life and it will be. There is no way that you can look into the eyes of the hundreds of people that we fed and not be moved. Women and children hungry, homeless and needing all the love and help that they can get.

For those of you that want to help, but are on the fence, what better time of the year to give back? I encourage everyone interested to just give these people a few hours of your time with us, you won't be disappointed that you did. Roc and Rouge do a fantastic job at providing the cause and facility, so I want to personally thank them for these opportunities.

For those that have been mainstays with donations, ticket giveaways and your time, I can't thank you enough. That is one of the things that I love about Clutchfans, there are no greater fans and there is not another site that can touch what you all bring to the table.

Clutch, thank you for allowing this on the site, it is greatly appreciated. Just so you know, this site is sacred ground and that along with the name is treated as such. It's important to me and everyone involved that we keep it that way.

Everyone come out and give a little. I can almost promise you that you will get much more back than you give at these events. Knowing you can touch the lives of hundreds, in just a few short hours is one of the greatest feelings I've personally experienced.

1 person likes this.
  20. Roc Paint

Here are some thoughts I would like to share with the Clutch Community this morning.

By Deacon Frank:

"Helping, fixing and serving represent three different ways of seeing life,” the article said.
    “When you help, you see life as weak.
    “When you fix, you see life as broken.
    “When you serve, you see life as whole.
    “Fixing and helping may be the work of the ego. Service is the work of the soul.”

Deacon Frank went on to say,

“Service and love are terms that are interchangeable. Service / love, rests on the premise that the nature of life is sacred, that life is a holy mystery which has an unknown purpose. When we serve / love, we know that we belong to life and to that purpose. From the perspective of service / love, we are all connected.”

He added,

"Serving / loving is different from helping. Helping is not a relationship between equals. A helper may see others as weaker than they are, needier than they are, and people often feel this inequality. The danger in helping is that we may inadvertently take away from people more than we could ever give them; we may diminish their self-esteem, their sense of worth, integrity or even wholeness.

"When we help, we become aware of our own strength. But when we (serve) we don't (serve) with our strength; we (serve) with ourselves, and we draw from all of our experiences. …

"Service / love is a relationship between equals. Our service / love strengthens us as well as others.

“Fixing and helping are draining, and over time we may burn out, but service / love is renewing.

"When we serve / love, our work itself will renew us. In helping we may find a sense of satisfaction; in serving -- in loving -- we find a sense of gratitude.”