1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Kyrie Irving's Potential

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sydeffect, Feb 25, 2012.

?

What is Kyrie Irvings ceiling?

1. Elite

96 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. All-Star caliber

94 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. Top 10 PG

21 vote(s)
    9.0%
  4. Lol

23 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Before the season/draft started people have been saying that Irving will not be a star in this league. I'm curious to what you guys think his potential is now halfway through the season.

Stats halfway through:

MPG: 31.0
    PPG: 18.1
    APG: 5.1
    FG%: 47.6% (was over 50% not too long ago)
    3P%: 41.5% (1.2-2.9 Attempts per game)
    FT%: 85.7%
    TO:3.1

PER:20.74 (10th among PG)

I personally think he will be a solid all-star candidate throughout his career, but he won't be voted due to the number of very very good guards in the league

2. Htown's2kFinest

I was a doubter before but now I'm a believer. I thing he can make it into the top 5 PG list in a year or two. I'd trade Lowry for him in a second.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

20.7 PER and he's only 19.

I think he should at least be a multi-year all-star.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Looks like Cleveland caught a break. He's not LeBron-level but he'll be enough to make Cleveland relevant again.

1 person likes this.
  5. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Curse of the Dukies will kick in.

Poor guy will get injured like Grant Hill, Elton Brand and all those before him :(

6. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I've only watched him a couple of times this season and my qualms with him are:

-Terrible assist/TO ratio
    -He needs to be more of a passer (Is it just the talent on that team for his low APG)
    -He doesn't do that great of a job on defense.

7. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

He reminds me of an undersized Joe Johnson. Score first guard who can distribute too

8. Mr. Space City

the reason kyrie assist numbers are so low is because byron scott runs a 2 pg backcourt at time with irving and sessions and since irving is a much better scorer than sessions he plays the 2.

hard to rack up assist when you're not the primary all handler every time down the floor.

9. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

But Joe Johnson is a shooting guard it's his job to score

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Elite for sure. Remember that he's doing this at age 19. I'm more impressed with what Irving is doing than with what Lin has been doing, to be honest. Irving has been playing this way longer and at a much younger age.

I don't know how many players have posted a PER over 20 in their age 19 rookie season but it can't be very many. LeBron didn't even play that well.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Good call. I checked on NBA StatsCube (link), and sure enough Kyrie averages 19.3 points and 3.6 assists with Sessions, and 21.6 points and 6.7 assists without him (per 36 minutes).

#11 durvasa, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  12. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

I know but I meant their approach to the game, JJ came into the league as a Point guard and when he was in PHX he played backup PG when Nash went to the bench and first couple of yrs in ATL he played a lot of PG. His game has evolved over the last 3-4 yrs.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Looks like you are pretty much alone on saying he won't ever be an All-star. Only one other person agrees with you.

But I'm sure you're going to keep trying to put up a stiff DaDakota-esque argument in the face of nearly 100% disagreement.

14. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

And have my rep taken away from me? Nah I'm good

15. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Oh and I just meant that he will be an All-star caliber PG, but will have trouble getting in because there are so many good PG.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

That depends on whether D-Will and Rondo get traded, and if so, where they end up.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I severely underestimated this guy, but my excuse is not seeing him much at Duke due to his injury.

I will be surprised if Irving doesn't become an elite PG. He will easily surpass Rondo if he keeps developing. The improvement his 2nd season vs this year should give a good indication of where he's headed.

It's just too bad the Cavs are so low on my NBA viewing poll right now. Irving has been a treat the few times I've watched him. He also seems to have his head on right and is easy to root for.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

Elite, top 10 is a no brainer.

It's basically down to elite and all-star. Elite is the choice.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

I rated him as an All Star, but "potential wise" he could be Elite. He looked on his own level at the Rook/Soph game. But I define "Elite" as the top 5 players in the game and I think he will be right outside that bubble when it's all said and done. I see multiple time allstar but not top 5 player.

20. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

His assists are also low because he plays on the Cavaliers.

I never watched much of him but he was impressive during the Rising Stars game. I'll try and watch more.