1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 1, 2016.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The final season in Kissimmee.

Pitchers and catchers report February 18, while everyone else will report on the 22nd.

Here are the non-roster invitees:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> announce non-roster invitees to spring training <a href="https://t.co/Yx1OFA2sZV">pic.twitter.com/Yx1OFA2sZV</a></p>&mdash; Howard Chen (@TheHoChen) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheHoChen/status/682988306959843328">January 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

hitters who have a serious chance to show something in ST and earn a roster spot (either now or by mid-season): Reed, White, Moran, maybe Kemp

Of course, further roster moves this offseason may change that possibility

3. Progs

Progs Member

Alex Bregman already getting invite, wow.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

No Matt MVP Duffy?

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

He's on the 40-man roster, so he doesn't need an invitation

6. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I would sign Fernando Cabrera, he is best closer in Puerto Rican Winter League, with an ERA of 0.46

7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Rather sign Carlos Delgado

8. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Stats for Fernando Cabrera

20 innings
    5 hits
    7 walks
    25 K's
    16 saves
    0.44 ERA

He would be a nice addition for us at Triple A and IF there is any injuries in our bullpen, he COULD help.

Many of us like what White did in Winter League, these numbers are impressive.

Just to compare, Grossman played in the same league, with Santurce, and hit .118 and released.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Is this the same Fernando Cabrera that is 34 years old and hasn't pitched in the major leagues since 2010?

10. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

yes, nothing to lose, minor league contract, a triple a guy with some experience, dominating pitcher in Winter League, probably BEST reliever this year in Winter League. He could help us if we get injuries in the minors.

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

12. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

He is freaking terrible dude

13. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

That is your opinion, i disagree. I've seen him pitch many times, and with all the talent Puerto Rico have in the World Classic, finished second last time played, the closer of the team is FERNANDO CABRERA.

The guy has a moving fastball, 90-93 with a very good splitter.

When he was coming up in the minors, he was a top 10 talent.

The problem with him is walks, but EVERYWHERE he pitched, he allows LESS hits than innings pitch, and over 9 K per 9 innings. His problem is walks.

Do you know he has a 9.9 K per 9 innings in the majors????

I don't think this way would be a waste if signed. Worse case scenario, he would be a very good triple a reliever for us, with closer experience in tough situations, and ready for the majors IF needed.

14. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

We talking about winter league? Check his big league numbers, he was a terrible MLB pitcher and that was 5 years ago.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, a real question, with all of these qualifications and the shortage of quality relief pitchers in both leagues, why has he not pitched in the major leagues since 2010?

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It can basically be presumed that he's going to be biased to any player from Puerto Rico, no?

Getting some YOF or LOF-like flashbacks.

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

To be fair, he's only suggesting the guy be signed for AAA depth. Of course, you could say that about almost anyone and get the benefit of the doubt I guess..."would be fine as AAA depth and in emergency scenarios." Give me Fausto for that. Livan?

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

As of right now, it seems the only competitions are for the 1B job and maybe the LOOGY. They also have to make the choice whether they carry a 7th reliever or 5 bench players. They will probably add a 6th starter between now and then that could change the dynamic of the rotation and the pen.

If we carry 4 bench players there could be a competition between Duffy and Tucker. If we carry 6 relievers there could be a competition between Fields and Harris. Guys like James Hoyt , Jordan Jankowski and Brendan McCurry could also fight their way in. I don't think any of the other position prospects have a realistic shot of making the opening day roster.

C Castro
    1B Singleton/White/Reed
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    3B Valbuena
    LF Rasmus
    CF Gomez
    RF Springer
    DH Gattis

C Stassi
    U Marwin
    OF Marisnick
    DH Tucker
    1B/3B Duffy

SP Keuchel
    SP McHugh
    SP McCullers
    SP Fiers
    SP Feldman

RP Giles
    RP Gregorsen
    RP Sipp
    RP Neshek
    RP Harris
    RP Fields

RP Loogy

19. jmd726

jmd726 Member

Really excited to see AJ Reed against some better pitchers this spring. He obviously won't be called up before mid-year, but everything I hear is impressive. Then again so was everything that I heard about Singleton.

20. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Problem with Fausto is that we gave him a contract, with Cabrera is only a minor league contract with ST invitee.

I remember many years ago i saw a guy that struggled in the majors, came here to play winter league, made a great duo with Irabu, in another forum i said, Astros should sign this guy, many laughed, and laughed and laughed, well, it was not a crazy idea, he pitched many years in the majors, his name BRONSON ARROYO.

Fernando Cabrera is a good pitcher, should he make the bullpen out of ST, i don't think so, we have a very good bullpen and guys with contract, but he is a good pitcher that is better than Jankowski and others we already have in our minors. For the record, Jankowski is also pitching Winter League and in only 6 innings has allowed same number of hits allowed by Cabrera in 20.