1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zero playoffs, nothing to be gained

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bobby60, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

In Morey I trust.

and In Le$ I trust to **** up anything Morey has planned.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the young players we're hoping to be able to trade away so we can finally bring in the guy we're hoping to piece new young players around?

3. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Quit posting dumb ****.

4. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I mean there are a couple things you have to take into account:

1) What if they make the playoffs and some of the younger players, on center stage, really step up and push a team to 6 or 7 games? Stock could potentially rise to the point where a major trade using these chips could go down. Especially with Lowry. He's been sucking it up lately; could hurt the chances of him being used in a package to net a top 10 pick or a legitimate player.

2) What's the ultimate goal of making the playoffs? Winning a championship. If you just want to make the playoffs to make the playoffs, then you probably shouldn't be there. The Rockets, currently, probably have about a 0.01% chance of winning the Championship, almost the same probability of them getting a top 3 pick if they miss the playoffs. Regardless of that, you would have a 2nd pick, which could potentially be used, in this deep draft, to get something of value or as a trade chip.

We all know this team as currently constructed isn't a contender. The question is what best sets the Rockets up to become a contender within the next 3 years. Outside of tanking, of course. Very tough question.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Maybe Im insenative to the players currently on this roster, but my main reasoning for getting this group in the playoffs is for player value.

The only way Morey is going to be able to truely upgrade this roster is if the young players take their game to a new level at the right time and are hot commodities on the trade market.

You get a great performance out of Parsons, Patterson, or someone else then youd be surprised the intrigue they might bring on the market come draft day.

I want the same thing that the tankers on here want. For the Rockets to groom a new set, or even a single player that can be a centerpiece going forward on a winning Rockets franchise. I do not believe there is an available superstar out there that is going to be that piece. The Rockets are going to have to groom a young star somehow some way.

My opinion is that with the group you have now, its going to be much more difficult to be truely bad enough for it to make a difference then it is to be good. So you might as well groom these young players well enough to increase their value on the market, upgrade your draft position, or get a centerpiece in trade that you can build young talent around going forward.

6. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Excuse me, I stopped reading at "there's nothing to gain."

How about 4 extra games? How about the chance to win a championship? If we don't make the playoffs we get the 14th pick...If we do, we get what? The 20th?

I'd rather see us take a stab at the playoffs than roll over and surrender.

7. dobro1229

I understand the point your getting at.

Trading young players, to get a piece that you can build young players around doesn't really make sense. You might as well just build young players right?

However, the Rockets have alot of duplication in certain areas. They are setup to make a trade or move duplicate players at some point. If a guy like Patterson has a great playoff series, and gets traded, he has another young up and comer in Donatas Motiejunas behind him next year to get a shot at playing time.

The Rockets can keep on cycling young talent through their system, but like in alot of ways, if you dont use it, you loose it. You put a Pau Gasol or an Al Jefferson in the middle of a group like this, and you would be shocked at how much better a Chandler Parsons, or Goran Dragic becomes when they have good two-way players to play off of rather than using their talent on the court to make up for the deficiencies of players like Scola & Martin who make life more difficult for the young talent around them, rather than easier.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In Morey I do not trust any more..... One helluva coward that is sucking up to his owner

9. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

So we can trade the pick for another TWill v2.0? I'd rather take my shot in the lottery - assuming he's not going to pick another 4 year tweener at 14 - compared to what Morey's done with trading 1st round picks for players.

10. Mariachi ROCKET

Beer is 8 bucks dawwwg! CHeap ass. Come to the game already buzzed and and burn another $40 Rocket scientist. WEak!

11. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

So you think Austin Rivers, Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones, Henson and Zeller will all be gone before pick 13 or 14?

12. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I always looked at it this way. Morey at least made it as such as it could be good for the team either way. Either to show case the Rockets made the playoffs with his players and in terms of value to them on the current roster albeit losing a draft pick. Could be good for them to lose with no playoffs. Then get their draft pick back.

I prefer the draft pick a tad more. However 14 through 16th picks have been relatively worthless with Morey as of late. Remember he is hitting on second round picks and not his first round picks.

13. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Huh?

1. How do you know he is a coward? Because he has not publicly called out his boss, or straight out defied his wished?

Have you every done that before to your boss? Is your profession immensely small that a black mark like that would end your career?

2. How is doing what your owner tells you sucking up?
    Do you do what your boss tells you to do? What happens when do not?

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That wasn't the point I was getting at. My point was that playoff experience for this group of players that are targetted to be traded away doesn't mean much to me.

15. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Great points.

First, a chance for the rockets to make the playoff is getting low in every another game, so there is no much to worry about making the playoffs.

If the rockets do make the playoffs, Les will make more money, he is happy man, the players will be happy too for this year.

But it would cost more to sign free agent players Lee and Dragic if both of them play well in the playoffs as you said.

The rockets also give this year pick to Nets, we know Knicks pick is even worse than our pick.

For a long term run, it gain little for smart rocket fans, but Les would be very happy for sure.

16. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Hell yes.

17. showa13

showa13 Member

Henson, Rivers, and Zeller will be there at 14, and will also be there at the NY pick position.

18. dobro1229

So you dont believe good playoff performance's increase player value that can benefit the team in trade? Trevor Ariza says hi.

19. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

So you think either Davis, MKG, Robinson, Lliard, Drummond, Beal, Barnes, Sullinger or Marshall will fall to us?

20. thething

thething Contributing Member

Exactly. If they wanted, NJ would gladly exchange their obligated pick from us for the #14 pick.

It just doesn't make sense to do so since the #14 pick is more valuable than any type of pick we would give up.