1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thornton more time alongside Harden [Chron]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Brewer can just do more than Thornton.

Obviously Thornton is a much better scorer, but Brewer can create turnover, run the break , provide energy.

2. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

I understand why JB didnt put him in longer

When you go 1-8....in 8min, why put you back in

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And he's 5 inches taller.

Thornton is not a SF. He can play with Harden, but that's one helluva small lineup when he does.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

maybe because Brewer is red hot, too.

5. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

tis true

6. dmoneybangbang

There's a reason why Thornton has been a journeyman and signed a cheap contract. I like Thornton considering his contract, but you just don't play him when he is 1-8 in 8 minutes.

I know CF has a "what have you done lately" viewpoint, but Brewer isn't garbage. There's no sugarcoating that he has a had terrible year so far, but hopefully that law of averages kicks in and Brewer finishes the season decently.

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

I don't know why people take this thread in any way to be a diss or shot at Brewer. Again, it isn't. I've always felt Brew should come off the bench with his energy and especially with his connection to Josh. MT just needs that space to operate more than Brew does and he gambles a lot so having two or three guys like that in the starting line-up would not be the smartest thing in my opinion.

However, I get the point that MT is not a SF though he brings more than just scoring. His creating and passing when they let him run the pick and roll is just great and he makes cuts. Team just needs better execution and game plan to take advantage of that.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Brewer is a tenth man at best, one decent game does not excuse a season of crap.

DD

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

still a better option next to JH over Thornton as far as roles and balance for this team. If Brewer is 10th man to you on this team then Thornton is right where he should be. Not playing on some nights.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Do you even watch the games? Like Houston Rocket games, before you type this sh-t?

Thornton has been hot garbage for most of January. He's shooting a blistering 33%. Not from 3 point range - overall. Compare it to Breer at 42% for the month

His 3 point percentage in January was virtually identical to Brewer's (.289 to .294) - as was his scoring (both aobut 8 ppg) except that THrontorn requires much higher usage to get there.

But that's just the stats - you don't need to cite PER's to see the impact on the Rockets when Brewer is successful, he disrupts passing lanes and then runs out in the open court and creates free points, particularly in small ball lineups. Watch the games.

And obvioulsy, this has an impact on team results, with Brewer at +4.5 and Thornton at -4.7 for the month.

But yet, confronted iwth this evidence, your expert opinion is that Brewer is sh-t and Thornton needs to play more, because the Rockets with their bottom 5 league defense and #7 offense need another defensive liabilty on the floor and Thornton can score the ball.

11. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Brewer ****s up the fast break 75% of the time by running around like a dumb ass just sprinting to the hoop.

My friend who doesn't watch the rockets that much but he had a the perfect discription for Brewer after watching the Spurs and thunder games, "Corey Brewer plays some reckless ass basketball that doesn't make sense"

We shoulda signed smith and let Corey walk or trade him and jones and let Harrell and Dmo back up smith or however

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

so what about thorton which is what this thread is about. What does he do when he so often has those games where he can't hit. certainly not play some defense.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I like this part of the rant the best. It's like nobody realizes the offense is generally fine, it's the defense that needs the massive overhaul. Turns out transition defense and defensive rebounding were the real holes in the ship last year (and this year), not shooting.

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

As he told me. Hard to argue with stats guys. he uses his trained eye that is basically never wrong. Stats guys just don't understand.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Thornton should get 5 minutes in the 1st half every game, see if he's having one of those hot nights or if he's having one of those cold nights. You can tell whether his shot is on/off in 5 minutes because he's guaranteed to jack up at least 5 shots on matter what the situation is haha. If he's hot, play him longer, if he's not, bench him for the rest of the game.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

he's never been that type of player though hence why his PT can fluctuate so much. His PT is determined so much on match up based. Even with that, this is probably the most hes ever played in recent memory for his career.

17. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

You go with the hot hand plain and simple. Whether its Brew, Thorn, or KJ :p

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

Defense is a problem regardless of Brewer or Thornton, the system is broken and neither are great. Brewer gambles and wins sometimes, but position defense it's not that much difference. Thornton tends to give more effort when he's in the flow of the game and hits some shots. Truth is, we lose games where we don't shoot the 3 well, so MT could help with that. Spread the floor, make it easier for others and be a playmaker.

19. beardsanity713

Alot of you are talking about his defense

But...
    terry
    lawson
    jones
    brewer especially when he gambles

are all liabilities hell this whole team is a defensive liability

20. dmoneybangbang

And one season of crap out of 9 seasons of average play does not make one a tenth man. Law of averages.

Like I said... CF has a "what have you done for me lately" attitude.