1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UEFA Champions League

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KaiSeR SoZe, May 15, 2006.

Tags:
  1. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

The game (Arsenal vs. Barca) is scheduled May 17th, correct? I was wondering what channel it was going to be broadcasted on and at what time...

I hope it's not early in the morning!

#1 KaiSeR SoZe, May 15, 2006
    Last edited: May 16, 2006
  2. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

probably fsn?

3. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

espn2 at 2:30 ET I believe.

Arsenal 2-1.

4. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Barca 3-1. The whole key for Arsenal is Henry, he has to have a monster game or else it's all over. Even though their defense has been solid, they still have to put the ball in the net. Barca is too loaded with talent not to win and their defense isn't too shabby as well.

5. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Its Arsenal, not Chelsea, everybody is saying the right name, except Kaiser Soze

6. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

:D my fault

7. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Hey! At least he kept in the same city.

8. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I disagree. If Arsenal attacks wide down the wings they will score. Barca also apparently will be dropping their line farther back to deny Henry space - but that should create more space for Cesc and the midfield to attack. Barca's defense - meh.

Er, 'solid'? More games and minutes without letting an opponent score EVER in the Champions League is a little more than solid.

OTOH:

Assistant ref causes stir by wearing Barcelona shirt
    Associated Press

Oslo, Norway — A Norwegian referee caused a stir Tuesday by appearing in a photograph wearing a Barcelona shirt, a day before he was due to officiate the team's Champions League final against Arsenal.

Assistant referee Ole Hermann Borgan was pictured wearing Barcelona colours in his local newspaper, Drammens Tidende. He acknowledged it was a bad idea but insisted it did not indicate he favoured the Spanish club.

"It was very unwise," Borgan said. "The newspaper asked if I had both uniforms, Barcelona and Arsenal. I said 'No, I don't. I only have the Barcelona one."'

Borgan said the paper, which was doing a story about him being a championship referee, asked him to pose in the shirt.

"I didn't think any more about it until I started getting phone calls early this morning," he said on state radio network NRK. "I don't have either Barcelona or Arsenal as a favourite team."

Norway's Terje Hauge, who will be the main referee in the final at Stade de France outside Paris, said it was "not very smart of Borgan to pose in one of the finalists' uniforms."

9. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Geez, sorry that I didn't throw any lofty verbal bouquets your teams way. But what worry's me about Arsenal is their inconsistency. Great form in european play and so so in the Premiership. Which one will show up and Henry doesn't have a great track record when it comes to 'Big" games outside of England (except for this year).
    Don't get me wrong I think Henry is a one man wrecking crew and could kill teams all by himself. But they're not going up against Wigan.
    You can't tell me that Barca aren't playing on another plane right now.
    Now the ref part. It will be interesting to see how many offsides are called, because Arsenal had more than their share called against them in CL play. But I don't think it will be a factor.
    That's unless you gooners are already looking for an excuse to lose :p

10. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I don't think Real and Juve are Wigan. Although this Premiership season has been rough, their form lately has been great (enough to overtake totteringham for a CL place).

Their defense is weaker than ours. Our offensive firepower is as good as Barca's.

Nah, just saw the article and thought is was a stupid thing for a linesman to do before the final.

11. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

:eek: :eek: That I would like to see!!

12. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I think Barcelona will win by a couple of goals, it should be a very entertaining match.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Heading across the street in 1 hour to see the game. I don't really follow either team, but I do know is is going to be a great game. I don't see the difference being greater than 1 goal either way. I haven't had many chances to see Barca play this season.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Barcelona 2-0. Gol de Marquez

15. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I saw on the news today that this ref has been replaced after this incident.

16. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Yeah, saw that. I don't know what the guy was thinking.

17/05/2006 - 18:59:57

Arsenal and Barcelona have announced their teams for tonight's eagerly awaited Champions League final.

Arsenal: Lehmann; Eboue, Toure, Campbell, Cole; Ljungberg, Hleb, Gilberto, Fabregas, Pires; Henry.

Barcelona: Valdes; Oleguer, Puyol, Marquez, Van Bronckhorst; Edmilson, Van Bommel, Deco, Giuly, Ronaldinho; Eto'o.

17. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHh

couple of good chances early

#17 HayesStreet, May 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2006
  18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Go Arsenal!!!!!

19. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

holy crap - 10 on 11. that's crappy.

that'll make this victory even more memorable - GO GUNNERS

#19 HayesStreet, May 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2006
  20. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

That was a terrible call by ref. TERRIBLE. He should have let the play go on. UEFA replaced the wrong referee.