1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hot Deal [Best Buy] Gamers Club Unlocked

Discussion in 'Hot Deals and Classifieds' started by Nippystix, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I wanted to see if any Clutchfans are currently in Best Buy's Gamers Club Unlocked (GCU) program. To be perfectly honest, I haven't been to Best Buy in years, as I'll check out Cheap A** Gamers or Slickdeals, and try and purchase all games at a discount. But I just noticed this GCU program yesterday, and apparently a 2 year subscription to the program will be on sale for $30 with a purchase of a game $40 or more next week. Apparently this is a really good deal, and I am considering if I should join the program.

If am not mistaken, GCU gives you 20% of all new games. That's $12 savings every game, which isn't too shabby. I typically go with a minimum $10 microsoft gift card for xbox games, but now I'd have coverage over any PS4 games I want to purchase. I know that Dell will have a $25 GC with preordering some bigger titles, but then I hear their delivery is suspect, and could take weeks until you get your game. I rather get the game at a midnight launch, or just stop by on the day of release.

What other deals are there with this program? I think they do extra trade in values too, but I don't typically trade in old games. Maybe this would make me start, if the trade-in value is high enough. I also hear that Best Buy now price matches, and if so, it would be nice to match really good deals from Amazon and other stores (if Toys R Us or Target want to do their buy 2 games, get 1 free). Again, I haven't consistently shopped at BB for over 5 years, so I would be ignorant to any and all favorable policy changes for the customers.

I guess I appreciate any and all feedback that would help me determine if I should make BB the central store for my future gaming purchases. If so, I will probably get in on this 2 year subscription for $30. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks Clutchfans!

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'd just get it. I think it's $120 otherwise, iirc.

If you game a lot, it's worth it.

3. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Thanks for the lone response, you should get an award or something just based on that, haha!

I ended up doing it, signed up for it on Tuesday, and picked up Sunset Overdrive for the $40+ game. New games for $48 plus tax makes too much sense to pass up, in addition to getting $10 reward certificates for some preorders on top of that.

4. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I've been contemplating it the last two weeks and decided to go for it tonight and I think I might regret it.

My local BB barely has any games. I looked at the WiiU section and there was almost nothing. Same with 3DS and Vita. PS4/XB1 had a ok selection, but everything else is bare.

I hope they get the Bloodborne CE. That's the main reason why I bought GCU, so I could save on two CE's and basically the savings pays for the membership. So far, they don't have it in their systems...so if they don't get it, it's not worth it imo. I don't purchase enough games to justify the membership.

Edit: Wonderful, I take back what I said. They finally have Bloodborne CE in their systems online, although it's not in stores. Great deal for $30, but you're forced to purchase a $39+ game. I went with Fantasy Life on 3ds because there was nothing I wanted and I saw the developer is Level 5, which is one of my favorites.

#4 chow_yun_fat, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014