1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bball1217, May 10, 2009.

1. bball1217

bball1217 Member

I know its just one amazing game.

And I am sorry if this does not deserve a thread or has been brought up to many times.

But, during Kobe's interview today after the game, he said, "you have to guard him like he is Tony Parker, he is just that quick."

So, with the right coaching and work ethic, could he become an elite PG like Tony Parker?

Just want to know what all you guys think. Gracias.

2. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

His IQ needs work, his game looks fine though. He pretty much needs to learn how to be a PG instead of being a 6'0 shooting guard if you ask me.

I still prefer him on the bench behind Kyle Lowry.

3. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, he can become a great PG, not one that gets tons of assists, but a scoring point like Parker or Harris.

He just needs experience....37 games started, he is inconsistent, but when you have games like this, it shows you can do better and improve your conistency.

DD

5. blacktopKING

blacktopKING Member

I don't know man, seems like Kyle can't handle the press. Everytime the Lakers would press Kyle would panic and nearly turn it over. AB's speed can't be locked down now that Yao isn't clogging the middle. I honestly believe the Rox have a really good chance at taking this series.

6. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

He's already got better range than Parker does.

I wouldn't slap the "elite" label on his future yet, but he can definitely keep his starting role if he continues to develop.

7. AllenLevel

AllenLevel Member

It's quite simple actually. He totally has all of the skills and quickness to be elite, but just needs to WATCH TAPES OF NASH, PAUL AND PARKER and learn how to kick out to open shooters after beating his man off the dribble.

NO ONE can stay with him and all he has left to learn is to improve his COURT VISION and become the leader of the offense...he has that capability!!!

8. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Improving on his defensive skills and decision making at the offensive side of the game would bring him to the next level.

9. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

One other little aspect of his game he can improve on is his finishing ability on drives. Needs to develop floaters and find better angles to the basket because his layups do get blocked at times.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Agreed, also he needs use his midrange stop and pop more often.....it is deadly.

DD

11. LoneStarRebel

LoneStarRebel Member

I'm not saying Brooks is on the same level as these cats...but they are similar style PG's...high scoring, sharp shooters that average 3 - 5 APG.

Calvin Murphy
    G FG% 3PFG% FT% RPG APG PPG
    1022 .482 .139 .892 2.1 4.4 17.9

Earl Monroe
    G FG% FT% RPG APG PPG
    926 .464 .807 3.0 3.9 18.8

My Next Season Prediction for Brooks

FG% 3PFG% FT% RPG APG PPG
    .435 .370 .810 2.5 4.0 14.0

(With Yao and Tracy back next year, that'll really spread the floor for Aaron, and don't forget the additional inside presence of Scola, and Artest who can also hit from up to 20 feet)

C - Yao, PF- Scola, SF - Artest, SG - McGrady, PG - Brooks, 6th Man - Battier

...one hell of a line up, but before we go to far into the future, let's enjoy the playoffs :cool:

12. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I really like the Devin Harris comparison. Until we see a bit more finishing ability around the rim the Parker comparison is just a bit too much. Harris was like this back in his early days with Dallas. He could come up with some great scoring games. Never was a big disher, but as he got experience his good scoring games came more often and finished this year with a very nice average.

13. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Obviously, it's too early to tell what he can become with only less than half a season starts, but Brooks does have the tools to be successful in this league, e.g., good ball-handling, lighting quickness, and good shooting with range.

However, he does have some obvious holes in his game. First, he seems got intimidated by physical plays, often avoids contact when penetrating. I think if he has Lowry's mentality, the sky is the limit for him in this league. Second, he often had hard time to choose when to attack, and when to hold back & run other plays, this often resulted too much dribbling, caused TOs. I guess this will change once he plays more, get more experience.

14. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

I do believe Brooks is more in the mold of a scoring PG like a Parker or Harris. He already has more range than either did coming into the league. The big difference for him right now is that the other two are better finishers around the rim because they go looking and initiate contact constantly while Brooks right now avoids it. When that changes, watch out. You combine his speed with his shooting ability with his exceptional FT shooting (once he starts drawing fouls) and we are gonna have a pretty good scoring PG.

15. sephiroth.hk

sephiroth.hk Member

Yes, if he is under spurs system...
    he need the coach tell him what exactly to do.
    adelman is too freedom...

16. brooksrox

brooksrox Member

The guy is clearly talented, give him some more time he's still young. Iverson Mk II

17. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I'm just happy that the Lakers have to game plan for the threat of Aaron Brooks' speed now. In the pre-season I didn't think he'd have any impact this year.

I think he's got to be a scoring point, because he isn't a natural pass-first PG right now (probably never will be). Make them honor your offense, a la Sam Cassell, then you can make plays when the defense collapses onto you.

18. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I doubt Brooks is able to develop a knack for initiating contact. That's something you are born with. I do believe he can somewhat improve his limited decision making ability, if he is given enough playing time as a primary ball handler, but even that is a long shot.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he's played above and beyond what i imagined for this playoffs. now my expectations for him next year is going to be high.

he will NEVER develop a true PG's like skill. it's a given. his style isn't that way. but he will become a lethal offensive threat at his position and will be one of the toughest players to defend.

brooks is a FINISHER/SCORER. get a playmaking wing and brooks will flourish even more.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

It took Parker several seasons to become an elite guard. Brooks has potential. I think he has confidence and maturity issues, but skill wise his ceiling is high. He is very inconsistent at this stage, but not many players can score 30+ in a playoff game against one of the best teams in the NBA.