1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Porche Macan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rileydog, Sep 13, 2014.

Tags:
  1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

A Porsche SUV? Why?

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Because it hauls and hauls ass! :grin: And, of course, it's a Porch!

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Unlike previous Porsche departures from the 911, the Macan isn't even designed by Porsche. It's a VW platform vehicle, shared with the Audi A5 and Q5. You get the same engine and frame as a Q5 with Porsche styling and tech (tranny, turbos, brakes, 4WD systems) bolted on.

There's nothing wrong with this, if you are willing to pay that much of a premium for a compact luxury crossover. For me, I'd look at the Q5 or look to moving up to a midsize instead. The MSRP might not seem that much different upfront, but Porsche is notorious for optioning the heck out of their vehicles.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Charlie Sheen spent a whole screenplay stealing them, then DB Sweeney had to kill him while his wife was shooting hoops on a tennis court. But then he was reincarnated and took out a whole spikey-haired punk biker gang.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Seems like it would be good for criminals lying in wait right after sundown.

8. Nero

Nero Member

The Wraith?

I always thought it was funny that he came back from the dead and got revenge by using races..

A Drag Wraith?

:grin:

9. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I'm definitely not a racing purist and will never view a car that way. The Macan has been heralded by almost all reviewers as the best handling crossover/SUV on the planet, so that makes it pretty interesting to me. Those reviews also indicate that even some Porsche purists begrudingly admit that it's a pretty good car to drive, but many just think this, like the Cayenne, is Porsche's money making machine that will fund the development of the next best 911, which is what the "Porsche spirit" is really about.

10. Rileydog

I'm considering the Audi Q5 TDI too. The reviews indicate that you've said re sharing the platform, but they estimate the car is 60+ percent Porsche. The pricing is higher: basically a fairly bare bones Macan costs 2-3K more than a loaded TDI.

Neither's a particularly good deal, and I'm assuming the cost of maintenance for the Macan is a kick in the nuts. Surprisingly, Porsche is generally getting pretty decent reviews for reliabilityy.

The Macan looks to be a funner drive and a more unique car, and the interior design is really interesting/nice. Basically an impractical/fun buy or lease. I don't want a bigger crossover or SUV, hence my interest input.

(And now we return to the robust discussion about front and back porches, veranadas, loggias and sunrooms......)

11. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

I've never heard of a "Macan" porch before. Is that a kind of wood or a terrible misspelling of "American"?

12. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Come on. No one's noticed the best pun in this thread.

To the OP, it's gotten rave reviews. The Porsche forums speak well of it so I'm not sure where these grumbling purists are but generally most Porsche people like it.
    I'm considering getting one next year for my wife to add to my 911.

13. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

I dunno, I agree with Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear, who once said that the best way to ruin an SUV (specifically, his beloved Range Rover) is to try to make it go fast.

But, then again, I pretty much hate the compact SUV/crossover anyway. For the cost of a midsize sedan, you get less cargo space, poorer handling, and poorer mileage. You gain a slightly higher ride height and a cool look, without any of the advantages of a body-on-frame design of a truck or traditional SUV (towing capacity, frame strength, crash survive-ability, lower insurance rates). They're really nothing but tall, tiny station wagons and poorly designed mini-vans. Most people disagree with me, though, hence the high demand and price for the segment.

Sounds like you know what you're getting yourself into though. My only worry is that women flock to it like they did the Cayanne, which will make you wish you had just bought an Audi or even a Golf GTI. :grin:

14. Rileydog

Top Gear loves the Macan too, and rather emphatically and unequivocally. I was surprised to read their reviews and see them on youtube.

As for me, I'm looking to swap out of a sedan and I want a compact SUV b/c it sits a little higher and affords a little better view of the road and surrounding cars, I don't have to crouch down to get in and out of the car (my back bothers me sometimes), they handle the bumps of Houston roads better.

I've been hesitant b/c of how they handle, but the Macan seems to address that quite effectively (albiet an expensive solution).

15. Rileydog

FYI - The first dealership I contacted says they're on 4 month back order. Super rare to find one in stock, and they're asking for sticker.

16. Yonkers

Yeah, it's always like that. That's why I plan to buy a 1-2 year old used one instead. I try to do that with most of my cars.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I have driven both the Macan and the 911 in the past couple of months, and I preferred the Macan, but then I'm old and I like comfort and stuff.

18. Yonkers

You mean sitting 6 inches off the ground and feeling every pebble you drive over isn't comfortable? lol. My wife tells me the same thing.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

And I'm proud to drive, uh, a Macan, where at least I know I'm free.
    And I won't forget the engineers, who gave this ride to me.
    And I'd gladly sit down next to you and defrost her still today.
    'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this sled, God bless the S.U.V.

20. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member