1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So how good were the old school Knicks?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nikos, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Nikos

Nikos Member

Lets take the 94 Knicks who lost to the Rox in the 94 Finals.

Ewing Oakley Smith Starks Harper Mason G.Anthony H.Davis

How good would you say that team really was? Could they compete agains the cream of the crop of the NBA today and of the past 5-6 years -- the Lakers, Kings, Spurs etc....?

What do you guys think?

How would Ewing do against todays Shaq and how would the Knicks type of D and ball do against the Lakers, Kings, Spurs etc....
    ?

2. BERSERKER

BERSERKER Member

The MJ-less Bulls took them to 7 games and needed an atrocious game-altering call to do it. I highly doubt they would have beaten any of the champions dating back to 1980. Too offensively challenged, too unpredictable (prone to bench-clearing brawls over the smallest incidents), too slow.

3. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

They were good but very inconsistent on offense. They struggled to find a consistent playmaker from the perimeter. If the possession fell out of the set offense, they were pretty screwed. Great defensive team & actually an underrated jump shooting team. If you watch games of that era on ESPN Classic you'll see that even the most marginal of players had decent jumpshots. Unlike today's NBA.

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Old school Knicks? I thought you were talking about the Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, Earl the Pearl, Bill Bradley, Dave DeBusscher (sp?), Cassie Russell championship teams.

5. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Now the real old school Knicks of the early seventies with DeBusshere, Earl the Pearl, Bill Bradley, Willis Reed, Phil Jackson and of course the coolest player of all time, Clyde Frazier, were a real team. In fact I think they are probably among the top three greatest teams of all time, up there with the Bill Russell-led Celtics and the Lakers team with Wilt, the Logo and Elgin Baylor. Now the 1994 Knicks were not what I'd call a great team, but their blue-collar, defensive approach won them a ton of games. I never to this day will understand why Riles didn't pull Starks for Ronaldo Blackman, one of the best jumpshooting guards ever.

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

were they champs in '70 and then '72? I will check on that. Willis Reed limps into the Garden for Game 7 and wins it, that was classic.

I love that the Knicks team of the 90's got beat in the Finals by two Texas teams. Now the '99 team with Sprewell, they were a storybook season. the only 8th seed to make it to the NBA finals, but they were weak without Ewing, they got chumped by the Spurs:rolleyes:

7. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

They certainly gave Michael Jordan, etc. a lot of headaches after the comeback. I think you still have to put them among the premier teams of the early 90's, but not among the all-time teams.

8. Nikos

Nikos Member

Sorry I meant the 90s KNICKS not "OLD SCHOOL"

9. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

Teams of the 90's really don't have much on todays teams, at least talent wise. In the 90's, there was MJ and to a lesser extent Clyde. Today, there's Kobe, T-Mac, A.I., and Lebron; all players who could give MJ or Clyde a run for their money.

The few teams that can match up to todays, would have to be some of the earlier teams. There were fewer teams, so the talent level on each team was much higher than you would see today.

10. kountzer

kountzer Member

I thought the same thing. And those knick teams of the late 60s and early 70s were very good. All those guys could shoot lights out.

DB

11. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

T-Mac, AI, and LeBron (listed in order of ridiculousness) could give MJ a run for his money?

12. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

How 'bout Isaiah?

13. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I completely disagree with this, teams of the 90s, for the most part, are better then teams of today. Teams of the 90s were deeper, more talented and had better team chemistry then today's teams. Barkley's Suns could give any of the teams of today a run for their money, including the Lakers. The Lakers would have had nightmares getting out of a West conference that including Barkley's Suns, Dream's Rockets, a Jazz team that slaughtered the Lakers when the Jazz were in their prime, teams like that. Then, once they got to the Finals, it wouldn't have been a cake walk. Those Knicks teams would have physically pushed the Lakers around, Ewing in his prime was more then a match for Shaq. Not saying he would have outplayed Shaq but he would have neutralized him. The Lakers would have had a nightmare trying to score points, a 2-man show against those Knicks teams would have got you pounded. The Bulls team with Michael Jordan were a superior version of the Kings of today. And if the Kings of today whipped up on the Lakers before falling to them last year when would Jordan's Bulls do? Even with Payton and Malone, there are things that would give the Lakers trouble, like a lack of a bench for the Lakers, and perimeter shooting. There are a few teams of today that could have hung in the 90s, and maybe won it all, the Lakers obviously, San Antonio, the Kings, who are this era's version of the old Barkley Suns, and maybe the Mavs because the 90s were full of run and gunning teams. Meanwhile some of the lesser teams of the 90s could be a threat nowadays, Zo and LJ's Hornets could win the East, as could Shaq's Magic. Jazz, Suns and Rockets definitely, Bulls, Knicks and Zeke's Pistons. Drexler's Blazers could win the NBA title. I think the 90's had better teams then now.

14. BERSERKER

BERSERKER Member

What? The 1993 Lakers came within a hair of dumping Phoenix out of the playoffs in the first round. The Knicks of the 90s would be fodder for today's Sac, SA, and LA. The -only- way they made the Finals in 1994 was thanks to MJ deciding to play baseball. ESPN Classic showed the game Kukoc won at the buzzer a few days ago. The Knicks were so stupid that they let a fight between Jo Jo White and Harper end up in a bench clearing brawl and suspensions in a critical series. They did the same thing in a couple of Miami Heat series a few years later. They were a bunch of offensively limited thugs with the exception of Ewing.

15. mikedane

mikedane Member

the 90s knicks had about as mutch of a chance of winning today as n.j. nets had of beating s.a. witch is not mutch but there is always a chance for an upset. i believe there tenacity gave them an opportunity to give almost any team a run for there money but the results would still be the same.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

the 90's knicks came within a Charles Smith series of missed layups of knocking off the Hallowed Bulls in the prime of Michael Jordan's career. They were a very good team, and regularly won 60 when the league was less watered down and the East wasn't as bad. They would lose to the top teams today but they would grab, fight, elbow, and mug their way to very close losses.

17. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

.........................................................................................................
    ............................................................................................................................................................
    ...............................................................................................................
    ...................................................................................................
    ...............die

18. SamFisher

Huh?

[​IMG]

:D

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Even though the post was ridiculous in listing LeBron, I think today's league is a more talented than the league the Bulls dominated.

Duncan
    Garnett
    Shaq
    Kobe
    T-Mack
    Dirk
    Marbury
    Francis
    Webber
    Iverson
    Kidd
    Pierce
    B Davis
    J O'neal
    Ray Allen
    Elton Brand

vs.

Jordan
    Olajuwon
    Barkley
    Drexler
    Kemp
    Payton
    Miller
    Shaq (younger version)
    Penny
    Mutumbo
    Mourning
    Stockton

The 90's list is top heavy. I wouldn't include Zeke in the 90's, I associate him with the 80's. I guess its more of a toss up.

20. SamFisher

Elton Brand? Baron Davis? Pretty shaky. Is Elton Brand that much better than Otis Thorpe or a young Kevin Willis even? The present list has quantity, but the 90's list (I think you acidentally(?) omitted David Robinson, Karl Malone, and Ewing, and Pippen, btw. Mutombo is fine but not really ever complete enough to be great) has far, far more quality and evens out quantity wise when you include the omissions.

Could Anybody in ANY decade beat this starting 5?

Stockton
    Jordan
    Pippen or Drexler
    Malone
    Olajuwon

#20 SamFisher, Aug 4, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2003