1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Gone Girl (directed by David Fincher, starring Ben Affleck)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Oct 2, 2014.

1. noize

noize Contributing Member

This movie is based on a novel of the same name from 2012 and is already getting excellent reviews from critics (87% currently on Rotten Tomatoes). Has any read the book and how was it? This movie sounds more interesting then his upcoming Batman film. Opens this Friday so I will definitely check it out. Opinions?

2. VanityHalfBlack

It's a David Fincher film, you best believe I will be seeing this tonight. I have the book but neither the time or day to read it, anyone here have?

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I read the book...really good. Although, people didnt like the ending, so the movie will have a different ending than the book (Looking back, I actually liked the book ending...but I can see why people didnt like it).

Definitely a page turner, one of the more entertaining books Ive read in the last year. Im interested in seeing how it's adapted to film because the twists and turns in the book were done very well. Also, a lot of the intensity of the book comes from the thoughts of the two leading characters...so that'll be interesting to see how they convey their feelings in the movie.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Big fan of the book, even the ending, so I'm definitely excited to see this one. Fincher is my favorite director, and the reviews have been great, so I'm pumped.

5. SexyButIgnorant

Excited to finally see Affleck's penis.

6. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I enjoyed the book quite a bit. I read it on a transatlantic flight, and it was a page-turner. The ending was dark, but I loved it.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

What happens in the end?

8. VanityHalfBlack

Wow, remind me to never ever get married. Holy **** that was frightening to see how this movie unfold.

9. Remix

Remix Member

Read the book and wasn't a fan of how it ended. Looking forward to watching this and seeing how they changed it. Oh and of course Emily Ratajkowski being in it doesn't hurt ;)

10. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

this was a crazy movie, Fincher is the perfect choice to direct this film

surprisingly, Tyler Perry played a badass lawyer with the small role he had

definitely a "wtf?" kind of movie but leaves you wanting more

11. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Just saw it. Great flick. Worth the price of admission. Recommend.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm reading it now. A real page-turner. I usually don't like books written by women; not misogyny, mind you, but the subject matter or the tone usually doesn't hold my interest. (Hence the reason JK Rowling published using her initials, the thinking being that boys wouldn't turn up for a book written by "yuck, a girl."

The author conveys the thoughts and feelings of both husband and wife very well. She deserves all the success she's getting from the book.

Can't wait to see Emily Blurred Lines in the movie.

13. VanityHalfBlack

To clutchfans, Be warned. This is a chick flick, written by a woman so you should know what you're getting into. The guys in this movie are portrayed as some of the dumbest characters onscreen.

14. VanityHalfBlack

Oh and as for Affleck, the guys is ready to play Batman. There were some scenes where he's posing with his chest out and **** as if standing in front of the bat signal.

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

saw this last night - thought it was a good movie - i havent read the book and all i had to go on in terms of what I knew about the movie was the one trailer.

Tyler Perry did a great job in his role - my buddy who watched it with me is a lawyer and said he did a great job in that regards too.

there was one thing that bothered me though

So like we see one scene where Amy tries to fake a rape in Desi's house after he leaves for the day. But nothing else was captured amongst all the cameras in the house? The way she was setting herself up? No camera in the bedroom that showed her supposedly tied up? Afterwards in the hospital when Booney was questioning her along with the FBI - it was clear that her story didnt really fit and whenever a tough question was asked Amy just feigned ignorance or said the meds were effecting her. The FBI didnt really seem to continue any sort of serious questioning after that.

It seemed to me that she spent a lot of time and planning to set up the murder and then hastily put together a plan after she decided not to kill herself and had her money stolen from her. The plan was literally a copy of what she had done earlier to a previous ex - Nick did not mention that at all to Booney that she is basically is copying the same set up as before. He makes a great point of how was she able to slash Desi's throat with a box cutter if she was tied.

Even with the above aside it was a well told movie and despite its longer than average run time the ending left you wanting to know more.

to those who have read the book - how was the ending in the book different from that of the movie?

1 person likes this.
  16. Remix

Remix Member

It's pretty much the same surprisingly. Read a couple of months ago that the movie would have a different ending so I was expecting a complete left turn but nope. Same ending

17. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

awesome flick. the mr. ripley vibe was well played. 9/10 for me. kind of a meh performance from affleck imo, but he's meh in everything to me.

18. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I had the same exact issues with this movie. I loved it and thought it was great but damn I was really expecting a different ending. Damn it, it really pissed me off. :(

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The holes in this movie were noted by YoYo.

I question whether they are going to set up a sequel!

That was a great movie, even with the holes.

The chick/perry/Afflecks sister were awesome!!!!!

Best of the year for me.

20. magman

magman Member

OMG This move!

Still tense, great all around performances from the cast, including Tyler Perry, he was great.