1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Morey's Panel at this year's Sports Analytics Conference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 20, 2010.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Morey's is taking part in a panel at his MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference that he puts together each year:

http://sloansportsconference.com/2010/agenda/what-geeks-dont-get-the-limits-of-moneyball/

Title: "What Geeks Don't Get: The Limits of Moneyball."

It sounds like a great idea, but I'm wonder if the choice for the title was to dissuade other teams from following the Rockets management style.

Here is a screen shot describing the panels, as it looks like the website is down at the moment:

[​IMG]

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

what Morey said about it in a recent tweet:

3. Crush

Crush Rookie

4. durvasa

http://thepaintedarea.blogspot.com/2010/03/slaon-conference-report-what-geeks-dont.html

1 person likes this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'd hangout with Morey over MJ every single day. But I'm not a billionaire. :p

6. bloop

bloop Member

that panel represents that what's best in America right now

brilliant, earnest men doing their best to improve their sport using new technology and new thinking

where else in the world are they breaking ground on this area of sports/performance

only in America USA USA

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I can't wait til' the video footage is up. I really enjoyed the last one.

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Ha ha, exactly , durvasa. If Morey had anything to do with it, I am certain he devised a topic that would not require him to give away his secrets. It's perverse, really: "what doesn't work about Moneyball."

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Mark Cuban was on two panels today. He was absolutely hilarious. Morey tended to be relatively conservative in his answers, Cuban was much more open about all of the topics.

10. durvasa

That's how it was last year too. Cuban is extremely smart, and its entertaining to listen to him talk about the game and the business side of things.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Cuban is childish (and petty) at times and it makes him annoying to many people. But you have to admit that he is a smart dude. Compare the Mavs before and after his ownership, you'll see how much difference he has made.

12. showtang043

showtang043 Member

yea I got to go for the 2nd straight year, its very entertaining, especially cuban. The best was last year with van gundy

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So... what do you think of this year vs. last year? I find that there are a lot of MBA types around... were there more pure geeks?

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Minus the douchebaggery and attention-whoring, which I admit may simply be due to him being so close to the action, Cuban is EXACTLY the type of owner I'd be if I were a billionaire NBA owner. He really is living the dream of an NBA fan.

15. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

16. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

Cuban is a boss, Morey is a salary man.

17. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

Why would Bosh come to Houston instead of going to his hometown Dallas?

18. showtang043

showtang043 Member

I actually enjoyed last year more in terms it was more of an intimate setting, the expansion is great in terms of exposure. But perhaps the expansion should be on tv/online for peopel to view and keep attendance small to keep that distinctive feeling it had last year of rubbing shoulders with some of the best in the biz. But I did enjoy it this year as well, interesting topics, great to see them talk openly back and forth and get somse mindset from these behind the scenes folks.

Last year I really enjoyed, they had some really interesting and funny personalities with Sonny Vaccaro and Jeff Van Gundy, both of whom I had the pleasure of speaking too since it was a relatively small environment. This time there was a line of kids to talk to each person after panels, so it made it uncomfortable and urgent for the speaker and the students or people asking questions afterwards.

19. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Because Houston has the salaries to match in a sign-and-trade.

20. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Couldn't he have used a better example than Kupchack the guy who traded Caron Butler for Kwame Brown (LOL). Geoff Petrie was a former player who is a great GM.