1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Adrian Wojnarowski taking a shot at Morey?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Excerpt from his article on Donal Sterling..

Now which self promoters and Star Trek conventions could he be talking about?

And by the way, ESPN sponsored the Analytics Conference this past weekend, plenty of ESPN guys there, and from other media (Howard Beck, Knicks beat writer for NY Times included), but no one from Yahoo Sports. Kinda interesting.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...aw-sterlingclippers031010&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The Woj and Morey at odds? Well... It does explain a lot of Woj's Tmac articles...

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Now I think of it... may be more of a Yahoo vs. ESPN rivalry.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

"That its self promoters without playoff success and championships"

Didn't he write a negative piece about Kevin Pritchard and how other front office people view him? Maybe he's hearing that other teams are starting to talk about Daryl Morey in the same way.

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Probably brainwashed by T-mac.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i dont think daryl is as arrogant as pritchard in fact daryl is pretty humble and unlike pritchard does not have limitless funds to buy first round picks and such.

i mean pritchard had cap space for once and looked like a fool last season frantically throwing it around to hedo and then milsap only to overpay miller.

not to mention getting the #1 pick and passing up on durant.

as successful as that portland franchise has been pritchard is a good gm but he isnt the best as he makes himself out to be.

Morey has fared a lot better in trades and the draft given the resources he has had at hand.

but if you look at the deals morey has made the other teams also get what they wanted

spurs: cap relief
    grizz - first round pick & magic - starting pg
    kings - donte green (a bench player now), carl landry (front court scorer), omri casspi (starter that was picked w/ rockets 1st pick from artest trade)
    knicks - cap relief

morey just has always gotten the maximum back for the rockets depending on other teams needs thats all.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Disappointed in Wojo, he was my #1 source for "insider" information but this I just can let pass...shame on you shame on you :(

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That is a solid jab. I can appreciate it.

9. durvasa

It is insulting without purpose. Does he think that the reason the Rockets have not achieved playoff success is because the GM doesn't know how to deal with the "complexities" of the job as opposed to, I don't know, bad luck with injuries?

It just makes him sound bitter.

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I think I'm reading it wrong.

It sounds like he's saying the people that don't have success are the ones that are not talking about "star trek" conventions.

Meaning those whom are successful do those conventions.

I could be wrong.

11. jason3333

jason3333 Member

everybody hates the guy but if that guy is working for you then you leave him

12. durvasa

"Olshey has been a competent player personnel man with trades and picks, but the job is so much bigger than player personnel. With the Lakers next door, the Clippers still need big vision, big ideas and a big presence. Olshey is solid as a No. 2, but still a novice with the complexities of the GM job people never see, that its self promoters without playoff success and championships never talk about at those NBA “Star Trek” conventions in New England."

"Its self promoters" is referring to "the conventions' self promoters".

It is a poorly constructed sentence.

13. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Rockets won last year in the 1st round, wouldn't that be playoff success? Unless playoff success means championships. Either way the dude needs an editor.

14. durvasa

I guess Woj is blaming our loss to the Lakers, in 7 games and without Yao and McGrady, to Morey's inability to deal with the complexities of the job.

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I actually think he's referring to Mark Cuban. Cuban is always at those. He bought his team with money he got from the wonderful world of the internet. He has a Spock haircut. And he's a shameless self promoter. He's also been running his team long enough that it's somewhat fair to criticize him for not winning a championship (at least more fair than it is for Morey, who is just starting to make this team his own).

16. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

am sorry guys, but can anybody explain what he means by that quote..?

17. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Very poorly. Maybe that's why he said it... it must be hard to like people who are leagues smarter than you.

18. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Mediocre (as evidenced by the article) writers being jealous of the people smarter than them?

You can say a lot of things about Cuban, for example, but he is definitely smart and more successful than this Adrian What-his-name-is-again will ever be.

19. durvasa

Translation:

There are things that GMs have to do that go beyond roster construction, like how you deal with players and coaches, "people skills". These things are important, even if the self-promoting front-office types that attend stats conventions in Boston aren't talking about it. Oh, and those guys are losers who don't know how to put together successful playoff teams.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Yeah it's basically a swipe at Morey. I can't even deflect the attack onto someone like Pritchard because Morey has the eponym "dork Elvis". Here's what he was trying to say:

"Suck it, Morey. Suck it long. Suck it hard. You'll never have the success RC Buford or Mitch Kupchak or Danny Ainge have achieved, because David Stern will never hand you a Tim Duncan or Shaq or Kevin Garnett on a silver platter. P.S. I'm a dick."