1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pence and Tejada voted to All-Star game

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Stevierebel, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

From Twitter,
    JeromeSolomon: Tejada and Pence voted to NL All-Star team.
    3 minutes ago from web

2. Stevierebel

Chronicle Article:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/6514543.html

SAN FRANCISCO — Astros shortstop Miguel Tejada and right fielder Hunter Pence were named to the National League All-Star team Sunday afternoon.
    Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols is the fans’ choice to start the 80th All-Star game in St. Louis.
    The first baseman was announced as the top vote-getter Sunday by Major League Baseball. Teammate Yadier Molina also was elected to start at catcher.
    Also in the NL lineup: Milwaukee’s Ryan Braun, New York’s Carlos Beltran and Philadelphia’s Ryan Braun in the outfield, Mets third baseman David Wright, Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez and Phillies second baseman Chase Utley.
    The AL has Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter and first baseman Mark Teixeira, Boston second baseman Dustin Pedroia and left fielder Jason Bay, Tampa Bay third baseman Evan Longoria, Minnesota catcher Joe Mauer and outfielders Ichiro Suzuki of Seattle and Josh Hamilton of Texas.

3. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

are they going to start?

4. Stevierebel

No, named reserves... Starting lineup is in the chron article I posted...

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Congratulations to Pence and Tejada. Now let's actually WIN THE GAME! I'm tired of being the AL's b*tch

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Looks like the fans actually got the voting right... for a change.

7. Cbox

Cbox Member

Congrats to Pence for his first All-Star appearance. And Tejada too. It sucks Roy O or Lance couldn't get it going sooner.

8. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

That is great news. I am a huge Hunter Pence's fan. I own three jerseys and will be in St. Louis for the All Star Game. This just made my day. I cant tell you guys how happy I am.

I will get to see Castro in the futures game and my main man Hunter Pence at the All Star Game!!

9. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Nice to hear, especially for Pence.

Now, Hunter, get out of this freakin' slump you're in and show the plate discipline you displayed for the first 2 months of the season! :D

10. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Congrats to the both. I'm really happy for Pence. He seemed sincerely thrilled when he found out about the news.

Both are deserving.

11. BrooksBall

Justice wrote a real nice piece about their selections, favorably comparing their work ethic and passion for the game: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/6515085.html

I particularly like this excerpt:

[rquoter]Tejada was dressing next to Pence on Sunday morning in the visitors’ clubhouse when it was mentioned that they seem to have the same basic baseball makeup.

“Hunter is a very impressive kid,” Tejada said. “He never gets tired. He loves playing baseball. I hope one of the things he notices is that I come to the park every day ready to play the game. I hope it’s something I can give back to the game.”

Pence is asked what it’ll be like walking into that clubhouse in St. Louis and, for one day, calling Albert Pujols, Ryan Howard and Chase Utley teammates.

“It’s going to be great to walk in there with Miguel Tejada,” he said.[/rquoter]

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I love that quote from Hunter. :D

Nothing to really dislike about the kid.

13. Cowboii

Cowboii Member

You just gotta love Hunter.

Nice Quote.

14. BrooksBall

When you hear stand up guys like Lance and Hunter saying all these good things about Tejada, it really puts a lot of the negative stuff in perspective.

Sure, Miggy has made some mistakes (some big mistakes) but that doesn't change the fact that he's a great teammate who ALWAYS gives 110% effort on the field and never leaves any doubt about his genuine enthusiasm for the game.

15. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

what about oswalt & berkman, who cares i really dont watch that much baseball :D :D :D :D

16. xishi

xishi Member

congrats to hunter and miguel.

its a shame with them 2 and carlos and lance we arent a better offensive team. it seems like we lose games bc we cant score when pitching was the weak spot when the season started.

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's the same problem this franchise has had for years -- they focus on a few big names instead of overall depth of quality. Black holes at third, second, and catcher are killing this offense. There's absolutely no excuse for why Towles hasn't been recalled, or why the Astros haven't taken a flier on one of a handful of available third basemen. I somewhat understand giving Matsui a long leash given how productive he was last year, but the other two spots, not so much.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Who do you have in mind?

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I don't know the market now, but in the late offseason, Wigginton, and in late March, McPherson and Mike Lamb. Wade had numerous low-cost opportunities to upgrade the joke that is the Geoff Blum half of the platoon and chose not to.

Like I said, I don't know the current market that well because I haven't been keeping track, but I can't imagine finding a left-handed 3B that can put up a minimum .750 OPS-ish against righties is all that difficult.

20. msn

msn Member

I thought they *did* take a flier on an available 3B? Perhaps not the one you or I would have gone for?