1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we talk about Calvin Watkins?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, May 15, 2016.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

His tweets are regularly about Dallas and he constantly throws shade at the Rockets, yet he is the ESPN beat writer for the Rockets. This team was mostly ignored until this season, and now everything came to the forefront. This was Calvin's first year covering the Rockets and when it happened, I was optimistic that we would finally get coverage. We definitely got more coverage but in a very negative way.

The season was a disaster and Calvin made sure everyone knew it was. He made sure of this all season. Jonathan Feigen is constantly fair towards the organization and does not ignore the issues. In my view, that is how a beat writer should be. A beat writer is not a guy who just editorializes everything he touches to make a sensationalist piece, leave that for the New York Daily News.

I wonder if ESPN sent him in for Dwight's final year to try and stir the pot. Washington and New Orleans fell off in a similar manner yet they were clear of scrutiny. Everything that went wrong this year became a punch line for ESPN.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Troy <a href="https://t.co/ZzYiJGyvIK">https://t.co/ZzYiJGyvIK</a></p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/731993582056300544">May 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Is it higher than Pacman? <a href="https://t.co/nFHxpNoXMn">https://t.co/nFHxpNoXMn</a></p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/730542322451021824">May 11, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I like Whiteside talent. Horford a vet presence. Not sure what guard can play with Harden other than Bev. <a href="https://t.co/dGRCf2gE6X">https://t.co/dGRCf2gE6X</a></p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/730423033442095104">May 11, 2016</a></blockquote>

#1 treyk3, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Agreed. He's is a BSPN hit man. He finally showed his true colors and he is assigned to throw shade on us nonstop from BSPNland. Glad someone else saw it.

3. cdrive

Oh it goes way further than just recent tweets in May. Dude is an assigned hater.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

U people can't take any criticism from a non-homer reporter.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

lol, because you don't like what he says he is a hater?

This happens every time. Whenever posters don't like the message, whether its true or not, they start attacking the individual.

Not a big fan of Fran, but he broke the Harden/Howard chemistry problems way back and a similar crybaby thread was created. Just look at the responses in it, he was right, but all people did was bash him relentlessly.

Good for Calvin, he knows that management has been steering this team to the ground and this team was a damned embarrassment. Certain fans think this negative coverage is a problem because they actually for some illogical reason on the lines of Harden and Durant shared a urinal and had a deep convo once, believe he will come here and don't want him to hear about the real issues.

7. cdrive

Hyperbole much? It's like you didn't even read the OPs post. Why is it so hard to not be a sensationalist and to possess reading comprehension?

8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

It should have said Morey was the best GM and in him we trust, the rockets are an attractive FA destination, everybody wants to play with Harden (despite many analysts and former players saying otherwise), Durant's most logical step is to join this dumpster fire, Harden isn't a quitter, blah blah.

At some point people need to look around and realize that the coverage is a reflection of reality itself.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Strange. To me, it seemed like all the positive/neutral Rockets articles on ESPN this past year came from him. I didn't notice him being unduly harsh towards the Rockets.

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I know but with the season over, I've noticed he doesn't have anything to say about Houston at all. I can't even keep him followed on twitter. Hopefully ESPN choses to either assign someone who isn't clearly against the city and the team or choses to go back to ignoring the third largest city in the country. Either way hiring JVG will make the network that much weaker.

Bill Simmons and a significant portion of the Grantland Staff
    Mike Tirico
    Skip Bayless
    Colin Cowherd

While I only cared for BS out of these, these are all big names who went elsewhere. I hope to see this path continue so I have less reason to pay attention to the network unless a game is on. I'd love to see Zach Lowe join the Ringer and I'd have little reason to read any of their columns.

12. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

lol some of you guys are so sensitive

13. Carl Herrera

His take on the free agency options are pretty fair. Whiteside and Horford are good.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Can you provide some examples? Those tweets in the original post tell me nothing.

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Making a normal action for players into a knock against Harden. They played poorly that's fine. Show me the New Orleans Pelicans articles from ESPN. They were the new hot team and they finished 22 games under .500.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/201...houston-rockets-face-dysfunctional-end-season

Oh, he also was A Dallas beat guy just a year ago.

He constantly tweets about Dallas. Go find me a Dallas guy who talks about the Astros and Texans on a daily basis. It's not only him hating on the team. He is a Dallas guy through and through.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah I haven't seen any of these supposedly anti-Rockets tweets. I mean, the Rockets sucked ass this year; it'd be hard for him to not notice that.

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Oh wow, he's just a trouble maker everywhere he goes. ESPN definitely sent him in to create storylines.

This is who Disney hires as a writer? They part ways with an incredibly talented Bill Simmons because he talks bad about the NFL but getting into fights with players is encouraged?

#18 treyk3, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  18. Carl Herrera

He couldn't have created jack if the Rockets didn't supply the material.

19. cdrive

Agreed. So I tried to dig to help the OP but I could scroll all day and still not get back to what I saw. Just a constant stream of non constructive pop shots that you would expect from like a Skip Bayless or a Rachel Nichols. Cheap stuff that made you dumber for reading. It was alarming coming from a regional beat writer. No other BSPN writer does whack a mole all cheap on the team their assigned to.