1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LeBron's Age vs Carmelo Anthony

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Rocket River, May 25, 2003.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

LEbron is 18

Full Name: LeBron James
    Position: Forward
    Height/Weight: 6-8 (2.03 m)/ 240 (108.4 kg)
    Birthdate: December 30, 1984 (Akron, Ohio)

CARMELO ANTHONY

Full Name: Carmelo K. Anthony
    Position: Forward
    Height/Weight: 6-8 (2.03 m)/ 220 (99.8 kg)
    Birthdate: May 29, 1984 (New York City)

Carmello is only about 7 months older
    with NCAA championship under his belt

Rocket River
    I'm not anti James. . .just Pro Carmello

2. stra

stra Member

Hey Lebron is born on the same day as I am! Thanks for getting me to notice that.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Send this to Detroit. They will need all the help they can get when trying to decide who to pick.

4. Rane

Rane Member

Carmello single-handedly willed his team to a NCAA Championship...in his freshman year.

I can't help but siding with the people who would take him over Lebron, and Darko for that matter.

5. SLA

SLA Member

Darko is 17.

6. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Age doesn't matter at all...Lebron is simply more talented than Carmelo.

BigggReddd likes this.
  7. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

On ESPN's The Sports Reporters this morning, Mitch Albon (Detroit) talked with certainty about the Pistons taking Darko.

8. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

It depends on what you're looking for. Carmelo is more "NBA-ready," whatever that means. He'll adjust and contribute faster, but probably plateau faster and at a lower level.

Darko will likely take a bit longer to grasp the game, but his ceiling is presumed to be much higher. In that respect, he's very similar to LeBron.

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

NOt if this matters, but didn't Lebron out play Melo head-to-head?

10. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

"NBA ready" is the most crappest and overrated description in draft. Who cares who is more ready than others? Everyone should want the eventual best player, not the best player in the rookie year, no?

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Carmello can shoot like a pro, Lebron can't. Carmello will be a better player next year, down the line who knows. However even if teams thought Carmello (or Milicek) would be better down the line--the Lebron media factor would probably lead to him being picked.

12. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Carmelo's shooting is just as good/bad as LeBron's. Both have good form but are very streaky. How often have you seen Carmelo play? There have been many time when he goes 0-6 then just goes to posting up to get his points. Good adjustment? Sure, but his shot isn't as developed as people give him credit for. LeBron does NOT shoot like Miles, Carmelo does NOT shoot like Houston.

Nobody REALLY knows who's NBA ready. Just last year, Mike Dunleavy Jr. and Jay Williams were thought to be the most NBA ready players.

13. SLIMANDTRIM

SLIMANDTRIM Contributing Member

What I love about Carmelo is the guy can drop 30 on a team without sweating. Playing ball for him doesnt even look like work. He just has this natural presence on the court.

I havent watched enough of James to accurately grade his skills. From what I seen of him, he seemed to struggle with the mid range to long range shots... even when left open. He does somehow seem to secretly rack up points without scoring in bursts. He also wasn't the ball hog I thought he would be.

I do think Carmelo is just as worthy as the Lebron hype. The last time I have seen a guy put a team on his back and carry it to a championship was Danny Manning. How can you not want a guy capable of taking on that responsibility?

14. OrangeCountyCA

Good point!
    This time last year everyone was saying that Jay W. will be ROY 5 months before he would start playing one NBA game:confused:

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I disagree, as people knew Glen Rice, the Big Dog and Mashburn could shoot--all guys with decent 1st year scoring if I remember, people know Anthony can shoot. Anthony really has much of the best aspects of those players with a little bit of Grant Hill or Magic Johnson floor sense and passing ability mixed in (not saying he is at Magic's level, but better than the 3 scorers I first mentioned).

I think there may be questions about Anthony's post up ability in the pros and his defense--but not his shooting, floor sense, nor passing ability.

16. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

A player being "NBA-ready" to a team like Detroit is something they will no doubt consider. They're playoff contenders (and possible conference title contenders), so it stands to reason they'd want someone who would help them win now.

"NBA readiness" is obviously not the only criterium, but Dumars will weigh immediate impact to eventual impact. Anthony would help more now and Darko would help more down the road (if scouting reports are to be believed).

Whoever the Pistons choose (Dumars appears to be going with Darko), it'll probably be the right move. Dumars moved Grant Hill for Ben Wallace, traded Jerry Stackhouse for Rip Hamilton and got Chauncey Billups for peanuts. He also drafted Tayshaun Prince with the 23rd pick last year, put Mehmet Okur on the roster a year after drafting him in the second round, and traded Rodney White to Denver for a future No. 1 pick.

Don't forget Corliss Williamson, Cliff Robinson, Jon Barry, another #1 pick and Zeljko Rebraca were all had for used toiletpaper, too.

Dude knows basketball.

17. ILuvEddie33

ILuvEddie33 Member

Not from I heard and Carmelo's team beat Lebrons! If your talkin bout points no cuz I think Carmelo had like 2 or 3 more points! I just dont get it sure the guy is good but people are already comparing him to MJ the reason he looks so DAMN good is because he plays with highschool KIDS!! I have to see him play first with grown men in the NBA to prove to me that he is just that damn good!

18. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

There's more to a game than stats. Oak Hill had 8 D1 prospects, St Mary's had 1. Oh yeah, that's a real even match-up.

I still disagree about Carmelo's shooting. Mashburn, Rice, and Robinson were MUCH better shooters than Carmelo in college. What Carlmelo DOES have is post-up ability on them. His shooting is not that great, hence his sub 50% shooting even though he spends a lot of his time in the post.

19. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I think Carmelo is the best player in this years draft. I don't know enough about Darko so I don't know about him. BUt Carmelo is going to be better than Lebron, atleast imo.

20. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Cleveland has to pick James, just for the hype surrounding him and the butts he'll put in the seats. I think Anthony is the best player in the draft. But I think he'll go third.

I think James goes first to Cleveland, then Darko, then Anthony.