1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zhou Qi and China playing tonight at 7pm on NBATV against USA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

He is being one of the worst players in the worst basketball team in the Olympic.

Scrub like Yi Jianlin whose playing in this same Chinese team with Zhou Qi, and Yi looked like Lebron while Zhou played like Josh Smith (in the 2016 season).

Yes the Rockets got lucky with him and did not select him the year before in the first round.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Lol

I watched the game and yes he's like 2 years away from being 2 years away. There is some potential for sure but it's a long shot and would have preferred they went elsewhere with the pick.

Would rather have him than Yi though. Yi is clearly better now but he sucks too with no upside at all.

I think Zhou, like Yao, actually suffers a bit from his height. Take away 3 inches and I think he'd have better athleticism while still being tall and long as crap.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Not to get all stereotype-y but the Chinese team oddly plays a ton of ISO-ball and not much team ball with player movement and sharing of the ball. That's odd. I'd have expected the opposite.

In the game against USA they had several times when a teammate was wide open for a spot up, but the dribbler would just try (and fail) to take his man one on one and end up shooting a contested long jumper.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

their coaching sucks ass. hard to gauge how good he can be from these games. they don't feature him at all and I think i've seen better organized ball in a pick up game. with that said, he did muster up 12pts in one of those exhibition games against USA so that must account for something right lol

only way he improves in China this season is if they force feed him the ball. other than that he needs to get over here asap

5. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

I think he'd have much more fun playing American basketball and I think he'd actually flourish...... Will he ever be a star.... No don't think so..... Can he be a niche player? I believe so.... He's gotta get here fast tho.....

Hoping they bring him this year as I think he should learn in the D League like Clint....

6. alethios

alethios Member

ISOBall...SMH

7. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

Also it seems like when Yi plays Joe takes a backseat and is not aggressive offensively.... Plus Yi takes a lot of shots.....

8. sw847

sw847 Member

never really been all that high on zhou qi...went online and watched a few of his games from last season and I don't feel he is all that special, especially considering the competition in the CBA.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

He's the epitome of project and potential

I dont think he needs THAT much more than to eat some Popeyes and get stronger/bigger, which will help with his assertiveness.

But then there's a chance weight training does nothing and his lack of production just might be an full-time lack of talent and aggression (ex: Hasheem Thabeet). Dont see him being a high offensive threat, just an over-tall "versatile" player in some matchups.

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

nice

What's Zhou doing at Toyota Center?

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Working on his calves?

jk, jk.

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

They were here to discuss parameters of his contract and plans for him in the future.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

16. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

That said, I still have hope for the kid. He's not a stiff at that size, who knows what he'll become with a little seasoning.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I beat you to it but didnt post any of my sources.

Note to self: JR is a multi-lingual robot machine that scans all of the interwebz in search of all things Houston sports related. How the hell does he do it?

P.S. I am an insider
    P.S.S. Not really

1 person likes this.
  18. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

19. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

It's the one child policy. Bred a generation of entitled self-focused teens.

20. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Dis they discuss chickens or stinky tofu?