1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston's Millie Bush dog park ranked best in U.S.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by sabirk, May 21, 2005.

1. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/3191976

How about a little Houston love. Has anyone been?

City's 1st dog park ranked best
    Unique amenities put Millie Bush Bark Park at top of magazine's U.S. list

By MELANIE MARKLEY
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

No bones about it: Houston's first park for cavorting canines is top dog.

Millie Bush Bark Park in far west Houston has been ranked the best in the nation by Dog Fancy magazine.

The 15-acre dog park, with three man-made ponds, walkways and fake fire hydrants, was opened 1 1/2 years ago by Harris County Precinct 3 and was named in honor of the former president's late springer spaniel.

"Never-say-die supporters waged a five-year campaign to open Millie Bush, Houston's first dog park, inside George Bush Park," says the magazine in its June edition.

"And was this Texas-size jewel ever worth the wait."

Susan Chaney, editor of Dog Fancy, said the magazine took nominations from readers and assigned a writer to evaluate the 60 parks that were mentioned the most.

There are about 700 dog parks around the country, she said.

"The reason Millie Bush Park came in on top is that after the writer had interviewed people about the park, her comment was that they had unparalleled amenities, including three man-made ponds — one that was designated just for small dogs. That was pretty impressive to us."

Rounding out the top five were the Fort Woof Dog Park in Fort Worth, the Allmagnet Dog Park in Burnsville, Minn., the Tompkins Square Dog Run in New York City and the University City Dog Play Area in University City, Mo.

The top five dog parks qualified for $10,000 in grant money from Novartis Animal Health, a co-sponsor in the contest.

But Mike McMahan, special activities coordinator for Precinct 3 in Harris County, said the county had to turn down the $10,000 and accept a smaller amount of $2,500 because there were strings attached to the larger grant.

In exchange for the $10,000, McMahan said, Novartis wanted to promote a community event and advertise its products, which is against county guidelines.

"The park is built for the people and for the people to use without being subjected to any of the for-profit businesses' advertising," said McMahan said. "We feel that's just not the place for it."

McMahan said the $2,500 will be used for improvements to the park, which was such a huge success when it opened in December 2003 that the county had to double the parking lot.

"We just felt we had built a great park for people to enjoy, and lo and behold, the dog fancier survey claimed it as No. 1," he said.

"We were quite surprised. We didn't realize that we had something that special."

The No. 1 ranking got no quarrel from the Friday afternoon regulars who gathered at the park to watch their dogs run, swim and tussle leash-free.

"I don't know of any other dog parks, but this is fabulous," said Karen Andrews as her black lab, Karma, raced around the park. "It's well worth the exhausted dog."

Steve Bryant said he takes his German shepherd, Bastian, to the park three or four times a week. The 10-mile drive, he said, is well worth it.

"Here, they can just be dogs," said Bryant, watching Bastian prance along the bank of one of the ponds near a swimming golden retriever.

According to the Houston Dog Park Association Web site, there are six dog parks in the Houston area.

Chaney, Dog Fancy's editor, said dog parks have become popular in the last 10 years because of what they have to offer: room for dogs to run free and a place where dog owners can socialize with people who have common interests.

"I think it does speak well for a city that they recognize these facilities are important," she said.

2. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

An effing dog park? Are you kidding me?

I was in Tomball yesterday and saw a billboard of an equine shrink or something. It's right by Goodson's. Can someone from the T-Ball snap a picture of that and post it???

3. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

It's cat discrimination if you ask me.

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

It is a really nice park. We've been to a couple of dog parks around town, but the Millie Bush is by far the nicest. I'd reccomend anyone with dogs check it out one weekend.

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

George Bush Park?

That park behind West Oaks Mall west of HW6 on Westheimer, over the hill/dam thingy? That place already had ponds years ago, along with picnic tables and other crap. I wonder what they did to make it a "dog park", other then adding fake fire hydrants.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I believe it has a fenced perimeter.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yup, with different sections for different sized dogs.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

MAGNOLIA, REPRESIZENT!

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Soon to be on an episode of CSI pet police, Houston.

10. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I haven't been to any of the other parks, but Millie Bush is pretty sweet. People could do a little better job picking up their dog's crap though - I usually pick up about 3-4x what our dog puts out before giving up.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I dun' made fun of my friend for taking his dog there.

"You lazy, M-F'er, you... take your freakin' dog for a REGULAR walk like all other normal freakin' human beings do... and let him off the leash... if he doesn't come back to you, he was never yours! :mad: !!!"

:D

12. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Not my JRT, no way he'd be satisifed with just a walk on the leash. That boy has to run!!

Also lot of ordinances for communities don't allow you to have your dog off a leash or there will be a fine. :(.

Park is pretty neat. I personally like the concave bowl at allan parkway. Seems to have cuter girls there :)