1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starters Vs Bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yonizzel, Jan 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

If our starters today were to scrimmage against our bench who would win?

I say bench.

Is there another NBA team other than the rockets that could even have this debate?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think the Bench would win too unless Brooks goes off.

DD

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

Brooks = Lowry
    Ariza < Cbud
    Shane vs. ??? (Definitely no one in the rotation)
    Scola = Landry
    Hayes > Andersen

Definitely close.

4. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

I would actually put landry on shane, Cook on Hayes, and Andersen on Scola

5. Mr. Space City

brooks/ariza/battier/scola/hayes vs. lowry/taylor/budinger/landry/aandersen

i'd put my money on the bench.

6. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

so far i see people in favor of the bench.... now are there any other NBA teams that this would be possible?

7. trugoy

trugoy Member

The bench would win hands down, lowry would shut down brooks, and landry would kill scola.

8. Spooner

Spooner Member

9. ken

ken Rookie

Brooks should have never played in the forth...that's what kills me about that guy, he play's when he want to. no D just wasted pt......

10. BeCoMiNgThEbEsT

i would sayy Bench for tonights game..... ;)

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

The reason is because teams generally start the better guys while benching the worse guys (except in cases like the Lakers where Odom is benched to give the bench firepower). In our case we're staring someone so horrible he pulls the rest of the team down. C-bud, Taylor, hell even Tmac fresh from his rehab would play better than Ariza right now, yet he is still starting.

Why would anyone continue to start a subpar player? Ask Rick the Ruler :rolleyes:

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Lowry could not stay in front of Brooks to save his life....Brooks would score on him at will.

But Lowry would set up his teamates on the other end and they are better scorers than the starters.

Tell you one thing though...it would be more fun to watch than the entire team lately.

DD

13. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

ok, well for the sake of comparison, which other bench in the NBA comes close to beating their starters?

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Maybe Dallas.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yes, because there can't possibly be a scenario like this: Other team's starters > our team's starters > our team's bench > other team's bench.

Obviously, in your mind, if our starters can't beat opposing starters, and our bench plays better than opposing bench, then obviously our starters are worse than our bench.

It's kind of funny you use the one logic which puts a huge whole in your entire argument. If it's true that opponents benches are crap compared to their starters, then the above bolded scenario becomes very reasonable. OTOH, if other teams' benches are comparable to their starters, then your point becomes much more reasonable.

16. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

Interesting. It'd be close but I'd probably go with starters. Brooks and Scola will be the main scorers, and Battier + Ariza + Hayes can defend pretty well. On the other hand, the bench does a good job putting points on the board (Lowry, Bud, Landry), but they need to be on the run most of the time to be effective, with an exception to Landry.

17. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

What were you answering yes to?

I asked which other team has a bench that could beat their starters?

Is everything alright over there?

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

And Brooks doesn't have a prayer of holding Lowry down. Considering there are no shot blockers on this team it's pretty easy to imagine Lowry either blowing by Brooks or posting him over and over and over again for easy buckets.

Brooks is definitely the better "in game" scorer but he has no shot guarding a guy nearly as quick and about 5x as strong as he is without help.

19. eman

eman Contributing Member

Whatever happened to JT?

20. trugoy

trugoy Member

actually all lowry would need to do is bump and ride brooks as he drives, sure it's a foul, but NBA refs will only call that 20% of the time. and brooks cannot finish with that kind of pressure.