1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA owners to discuss league proposal to put advertisements on jerseys

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Feb 11, 2016.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

NBA committee seeks feedback for corporate logos on jerseys

The NBA is taking a step closer to putting advertisements on jerseys.

Sources told ESPN.com that the league sent out a memo this week ahead of the owners meeting this Sunday at the NBA All-Star Game in Toronto, where the topic of putting corporate logos on uniforms is expected to be discussed.

Sources say the NBA's planning committee is seeking comments from teams in advance of the April Board of Governors meeting. The committee will continue to meet with team feedback, which will determine if it makes the April meeting agenda.

Under the league proposal, which must be approved by the Board of Governors in April to come to fruition, teams will be able to sell one corporate logo on their uniform for the 2017-18 season. That would give teams a year to sell, and it also matches up with the league's new apparel deal with Nike.

In order to address the disparity in market size and the value that larger cities would have compared with smaller cities, the league is proposing that 50 percent of the money from a deal would be kept by the team while the other 50 percent would go into a revenue-sharing pot.

Deals would be restricted to three years, much like the sideline floor sponsorship deals that the league approved in 2013.

An NBA spokesman declined to comment on the memo.

Recent discussions about ads on jerseys have involved the networks themselves. This weekend, players will wear a Kia logo on the upper left chest of the jersey. The spot was sold by Turner to Kia for the 2016 and 2017 All-Star Game as a stipulation in the network's new TV deal with the league.

Like the Kia logo on this weekend's uniforms, the proposal has the future logo that teams can sell on the upper left chest. The proposed size of the logo is 2 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches.

Players will share in the revenue generated as the money gained will be considered part of Basketball Related Income, which is then factored into the salary cap.

One possible issue would be if a major star has a big endorsement deal with a brand and a competitor pays to put its ad on that team's jersey. Nike spokesmen already wear the league's Adidas jerseys, but it's a bit different if it's another category.

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Greedy ****ing owners make enough already. Christ.

3. malakas

malakas Member

So all the jerseys from now on will have sleeves.
    FCK THEM.

Sorry but if you gonna have all these annoying AD BREAKS then no ads on the jerseys and no sleeves. In Europe we don't have every time ad breaks.
    It will go through now because why should the NBPA have a problem with that? The BRI gets higher and the cap will get even more higher.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

A little patch doesn't really concern me, but this is just the first step towards.

[​IMG]

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Disgusting. Makes me want to vomit.

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I would not want to watch NBA games anymore. I'd check out the box scores, lol.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Can we have less TV commercial breaks and lower ticket prices then?

D-rock, MorningZippo and Perki-Perk like this.
  8. 92i

92i Member

I think it's not as bas as people make it out to be. If the ads are like those on soccer jerseys, like Real Madrid's "Fly Emirates", I think it is a legit business decision. People just don't want to see jerseys covered of ads like we see in Europe.

D-rock likes this.
  9. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

American jerseys (NBA/NFL/MBL/NHL) look much better than other sports due to lack of jersey sponsorship.

But man, you Americans are so picky.
    America is the only country where it's professional sports apparel does not have team sponsors logos on the jerseys.

Look at soccer jerseys in Europe. Rugby jerseys in Australia or England.
    Even look at the plain white uniforms in World Cricket (they have small patches like the Kia one).

It's normal in most sports around the world. Not to mention these logos are HUGE on soccer and rugby jerseys in particular. yet so small for the KIA all star logo I'm happy to see the NBA proposal is only a small patch. Hopefully it stays that way, as I said, American sports uniforms look the best in the world... but really, people are making it out like the sky is falling. Not a big deal.

10. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

The owners will love the chance to get $$$

11. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Here's the thing, though, they're thinking about doing this when league revenues have never been higher, and franchise values have skyrocketed.

You open the door a crack when the times are good, and you'll end up with a guy who's squatting on your couch and not paying rent when times are bad. That's the American way. At a time where ESPN is bleeding subscribers, and the lifeline they were counting on has been labeled as illegal gambling by scores of attorneys general, MLB.tv just had to settle a lawsuit despite their famous anti-trust exception, Comcast SportsNet Houston went belly-up, SportsNet LA has lost a billion dollars in a year, and even YES network is having trouble with carriage, where is the new revenue stream coming in for the players and the league?

All that tasty, untapped virgin advertising space is a $100 million dollar per year pension plan that is ripe for some 1980s style corporate raiding, all it takes is a few of the new owners who have bought in at inflated prices realizing that their franchise value isn't exploding like they thought, and soccer jerseys are here.

Honestly, when this patch is approved, it's like an announcement that a species is near extinction. Perhaps the remaining populace can continue on through intense conservation efforts. But most likely it's the beginning of the end for the once majestic, sponsor-free jersey, something we can amaze our children about along with fanciful stories of cars you had to drive yourself, headphones that actually needed to be plugged in, and the notion of unlimited cheap potable water.

1 person likes this.
  12. roksoer

roksoer Member

The world should ban all advertisement.

13. malakas

malakas Member

Football games dont stop every 3 minutes and dont have AD breaks! And neither have bball matches.

14. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

This "calls the top" of the NBA. Remember, ESPN's greed ended up killing it, as ESPN "invented" cord-cutting. The NBA can easily do the same.

15. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

16. Rio Rocket

Rio Rocket Member

all anybody cares about is money money money. i just want to play basketball, drink pepsi, and wear reebok

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I hate that soccer jerseys change as lead sponsors change. The only thing consistent are the colors...I like that Rockets jerseys say "Rockets" on them instead of "McDonald's" or "EXXON"

I would be bothered by this for any of the big 3 sports leagues in the States...I'd like it the least if it were done in Major League Baseball.

As someone else mentioned, pro sports on TV, and even in the arenas/stadiums, are drowned in commercial breaks. That doesn't happen in soccer in Europe because the game doesn't stop until halftime. I get having the sponsors on the jerseys for that. But this is overkill here.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't really care. Ads or not... whatever.

19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

What is the big deal about putting sponsor logos on the uniforms?

D-rock likes this.
  20. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't mind, but two things...

My first recommendation would be to make them alternate jerseys so to speak. Maybe run them out 20x per year. Likely make the same money, increase jersey sales, everyone wins.

The second thing is make sure the designers are part of the process so the jerseys look good and blend them in. Sounds like a no brainer, but make sure it happens.

My last statement is that the only time advertising has bothered me is when it is distracting, like those ridiculous 3-D signs on the baselines and endlines. They make you think the players are about to run into a sign. Those have got to go even in soccer.

I think in the end the NBA can make a lot of money if they do this right, maintain some decorum, and everyone will be happy.

I think for many of us, our first experience with all this marketing was in minor league baseball and we dread the day in got to the major leagues. But MLB assured the marketing would not distract from the game. And I think they pulled it off.

If anyone has not seen the bail bonds jerseys in the original bad news bears movie, go watch that movie again, as there are literally no politically correct boundaries and honest truth that comes out in that movie. It is lovable and cringe worthy truth all at the same time.