1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets showing interest in trading for Ricky Rubio?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Disciple2123, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

D'Antoni has as much input as Morey now. Les is overseeing everything this offseason.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Teams can only amnesty players signed under the prior (2005) CBA and who were on their roster as of July 1, 2011. There's maybe only a couple of contracts left in the league still eligible to be amnestied, if that even.

Pekovic signed his current contract in 2013. He's not an amnesty candidate.

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Thanks JR and Bima

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Personally yes, what you're saying is not a wrong approach, but for a team/market like Minnie is very hard to acquire big free agents, if i'm them and i have the chance to trade for Butler i do it. You instantly make the team better, and with two stars already on the team you have certainly more chances in free agency next summer.

And i agree here, especially since Rubio seems to have a pretty low value around the league, just make another Lawson like trade or move on and let them enjoy the situation they created.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I guess I can understand D'Antoni's nuts bubbling for a European guard, but Rubio paired with Harden? D'Antoni would have to put up a great sales job.

Not to mention Pekovic's contract is complete utter dogs***. The guy doesn't even play, let alone play well. He won't be a Rocket. That's just Minnesota and wishful thinking. (Fingers crossed.)

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well, that's the killer imo.

Personally, i like Rubio, he can't shoot to save his life, but he can do pretty well everthing else on both sides...i'm not sure he can work well with James, but it's also true that he's a better player than Beverley like in 9 things out of 10...i mean, i can see some pros and cons in this scenario...but only the idea of taking back Pekovic contract leads me to an absolute "hell no".

7. malakas

malakas Member

Rubio's contract paired with Pekovic is barely smth more than neutral value.
    The problem is that we will also be giving up ARIZA?

At that point we would have around 28 million in capspace.
    We would have holes in 3, 4 and 5 position.
    And the cheapest wing that doesn't actually suck is going to cost at least 15 per.
    So then best case scenario 13 million to go after a starting c and a starting pf. Who with that $? Al Jef or Mozgov?:rolleyes:
    At pf we will be forced to have DMO as our starter, match everything he gets and with him not even be 100% to start the season.
    Just horrible plan imo,and I only put in the best case scenario.
    Because the most likely scenario is that we dont' even get to find an Ariza replacement.

8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

They would have to get a third team involved or give up another asset for us to take back peck.

9. malakas

malakas Member

no they won't because there are other teams interested who will take pek without any more assets. See BKN.

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Never underestimate morey.

11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

What would Brooklyn be offering?

12. malakas

malakas Member

to take back Pek.

Getting rid of Pek is Thibs real goal. If you cant' get Pek then you are out of the conversation. After that the winner is the one who can take Pek and offer the most.
    If we can't take back Pek then even BKN with no assets but capspace is infront of us in the discussion.

13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

No what would they be offering for Rubio and peck? I mentioned a third team or minny to give us another pick or or player for Rubio peck and you said Brooklyn could do the deal. So what would Brooklyn offer for Rubio and peck?

14. malakas

malakas Member

Why can't you understand?:rolleyes:
    Why would any team in their right mind give Houston a pick to take Pek?
    Why would Minny in their right mind pay MORE value especially in picks, to get rid of Pek to Houston, when there are teams out there willing to take him for free at the minimum or pay on top of it positive value?

There isn't just Minny and Houston in the conversation. It's a race.

Anyway whatever.

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

You just keep referring to peck I'm talking about Rubio and peck in a package. But yeah let's move on. Lol.

16. malakas

malakas Member

...PEK IS THE REASON Rubio is traded. Rubio is the sweetener and incentive.
    IF you don't take on PEK, you don't get Rubio.

17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Wait.. So Morey would be giving up our best defender and a pretty decent 3pt shooter for a guy who is the WORST possible for next to Harden and an absolutely terrible for for a 3pt offense?

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Oh ok got you.

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I'm not exactly sure your describing Trevor ariza.

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I hear what you are saying but I disagree. Rubio would be the most valuable player in the deal. Over 36 min he averages 12/10/5 with 2.5 steals and is assist to TO ratio is good. He's also just 25. Sure he needs to improve his 3 pt shooting, but that can be done; just look at Lowrey and others who have done it.

Rubio may not be the perfect player, but he would be excellent at running the floor. He also plays good defense and takes care of the ball. These are all things we need (beyond 3pt shooting).

Buy low on Rubio. I can't be excited about Pek (and have no idea how we ship out matching salary so this doesn't sound right), but he's only on contract for one more year, right? I'd make this deal. We need to take some risks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.