1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Grantland] The Irritation Game: How James Harden and the Rockets Undid LeBron and the Cavs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Omer, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Omer

Omer Member

[​IMG]

Nothing gets the blood pumping like a possible Finals preview. Right about the time MVP candidate/scoring leader/International Swag Champ James Harden got tangled up with LeBron James, tumbled to the floor, and unleashed a tepid Blanka kick (hold control pad down + B) aimed at the King’s royal Ohio nads, I realized that I absolutely love rooting against this Rockets team. They are so good, so skilled, and so smart. They are worthy villains. In sports, there is no higher compliment. I would love to see them make the Finals. I’d want them to lose in the Finals, but still.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/rockets-cavaliers-james-harden-lebron-james/

2. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

**** 'em. I still don't think Harden did it on purpose, it was such a light kick that LeBron LeFlopped trying to get a call which he did.

3. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Media is casting their narrative about the Rockets. (huh? All copying from each other)

Here's another article (from bleacher report) on the Rockets as "villains" after the CLE game. Nice interview with the JET. Terry said he relishes the "villain" tag.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...g-identity-by-getting-under-lebron-james-skin

Still, those on the floor for Houston will scrap, because that's what they have done all season. The team's oldest player, Jason Terry—whose irritant identity is unquestioned—certainly would expect no less.

How have the Rockets hung in?

"There's three things," Terry said. "The No. 1 thing is, James Harden is playing at an unbelievably high level, and he raises the level of everyone else. Two, we have a coaching staff that understands that it's a next-man-up-type syndrome, so they've preached that to us the whole season, and guys have bought in. The third thing is the supporting cast around them. It's not just a Dwight- and James-type show."

"From top to bottom, guys are playing like they have something to prove," Terry said. "Though I've won a championship, I'm searching for that second one. I'm trying to reach that level of greatness with a different franchise, and a lot of guys don't get that opportunity.

"Patrick Beverley, he's a guy who was in Russia somewhere playing, so he plays with that edge. James, he was the third wheel in Oklahoma. Now he has his own team, his own opportunity, a lot to prove."

And there's no shame about being seen in a negative light at times. "I've always played the villain role, and I love it," said Terry

4. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I don't agree with the Rockets being the irritants since the Cavs (Lebron, Mozgov) were the aggressors.

But I'll take the "villain tag" if that gets the media taking us seriously.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Concepcion doesn't deserve the clicks

You aren't reading that wrong, he just used that disgusting term to describe Harden

1 person likes this.
  6. bigred77

bigred77 Member

Its obvious to me now (I guess It took me longer than others) that the rockets are the villains according to the national media.

They don't like the team. They don't like Harden. I get the impression they don't care for the organization in genral.

I haven't really ever rooted for the dark side before so this should be fun.

1 person likes this.
  7. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

lebron steals a few ring in miami, and WERE the villains?

don't think so

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lebron's mother needs to stop writing articles.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So is "****boi" good or bad? That's not a 99'er term, man. They didn't print that **** in the Houston Post.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

What is a ****boi?

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's bad. No matter how this hack paints the backhanded complement its bad.

I don't care anymore. I've embraced the villain role of my team. Let them be nasty and physical. Let Harden bully refs for calls, I hope he wins the MVP and people hate him for it

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'd post a link from urban dictionary, but it would get caught in the filter as well

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah I wasn't familiar with that term either. I thought spelling words like that ("boi") was something reserved for girls in middle school, so I didn't understand what characterization he was trying ti get across.

14. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Who's this writer (Jason Concepcion) anyway?

Refuses to compliment us,and when he does, does so in a backhanded way

Suck it, we won, fair and square.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Is the four letter word starred out an expletive having to do with sex? Begins with the letter f?

If so, I'm not sure how that urban dictionary definition applies to Harden?

16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

maybe Jason Concepcion (real name?) lost big money in a bet HAHA

you should complain to Grantland about that term

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I LOVE THIS!!!!!!

18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Honestly, ****boi has been a thing since like 2006.

How old/un-urban are ya'll? :grin:

19. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

the media have their narrative, thanks to all the haters, and it's not changing anytime soon. embrace the hate!!!