1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-15] Jeremy Lin as a Los Angeles Laker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Tonnny

Tonnny Member

Jesus would prefer tinman to spend his given life more meaningfully in stead of wasting time on a discussion board and occupied with hatred on someone.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jesus should throw Lin fans off the arc cause they aren't real Noah fans.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

they are ants at the picnic table

4. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

Haiku of the Day:

Jeremy is all

Conspiracy holds him down

Stupidity reigns

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

You are right in that the organization is tanking and that Scott has probably been informed to do so, but after that it makes little sense.

The point of tanking is so they can keep their pick. Why would they tank all season and come within range of guaranteeing that they keep their pick then decide to change things to put the pick in jeopardy?

It's the same story different day with the Lin obsessed. Spot a few good games and attribute that success to using Lin in the right way and surrounding him with the right group, rather than look at the entirety of his performance and just realize he is wildly inconsistent.

No doubt his peaks can be pretty damn impressive, but he doesn't sustain it. He has 2-3 times as many head scratchers as he does great performances.

6. Panda23

Panda23 Member

this is just par for the course for Lin. He's been in the NBA long enough for everyone to know that this is just parts of the peaks and lows of his play. If he WAS as talented as PG as LOFs claim he would be able to sustain this level of play for longer periods, aka playing at an elite level for more than a month.

1 person likes this.
  7. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

Ding ding ding. Winner winner chicken dinner. This.

8. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

This argument would be more credible if the Lakers had not just changed the group around Lin to one that spread the floor and given him the go-ahead to run the offense his way in the 4th quarters.

Not that Lin isn't inconsistent, just that, you know, they did exactly what you described, and they did it on purpose to see what would happen.

9. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

It's absurd to think Byron Scott was limiting Lin for the purpose of tanking. Byron was trying to force his Princeton offense on a bunch guys that don't fit the system. Lin was one of the guys suffered from it as a result. It seems Byron is now considering relaxing that system a bit to see how players do with a system that fits them, and Lin is benefiting from it. They are probably just taking a further look at those players and see if they are worth to be re-signed for.

10. mig0s

mig0s Member

Panda23 = panda = asian animal = asian = LOF

11. VanityHalfBlack

12. goyao11

goyao11 Member

There's definitely something to be said about NBA players and systems. Take Pau Gasol and camp him out on the 3, and you've got yourself a PF who is barely worth putting in your rotation. Put him on the Bulls as your main post presence, and you've got yourself an all-star.

It's absurd to say that Lin is on the level of a generational talent like Westbrook, Curry, or Harden where you can just "plug and play" on any team. You have to be smart to mask his limitations and exploit his strengths if you want him to be effective. Just like 95% of NBA players.

His lack of consistency is largely due to systems that take him out of his comfort zone. I'm not sure how this is actually still debated. We've seen enough of him to know that if given the proper role, he can get you 18 ppg on solid shooting percentages.

The appropriate question to ask isn't whether "Lin is good," but rather what opportunity costs you incur by tweaking your system to his playing style.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

LOL. This one is easy.

If you have to tweak your system to Jeremy Lin's playing style so that he can get 18ppg, your cost is going to be......

....missing the playoffs.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Panda23, I believe you are the one that kept telling tinman that Lin crazies are gone so he can stop worrying. You need to retract that statement bro. If it wasnt you then some others. In any case...

A handful of decent games against bottom tier teams and the roaches have come out of hiding.

I have already provided plenty of past gems from the legendary "Allegro" for the Rockets fans here. I will now do the same with regards to goyao11.

Enjoy:

.........and plenty more classics to chose from..... from the posts history of a person that largely disappeared during the time frame when Yao was gone and Jeremy Lin arrived and whose posts have dominantly centered around these players.

But that's not all....

This gem below cracked me up.

A YI JIANLI apologetic!!!!!!

That's a cherry on top!
    [​IMG]

I rag on krxsnoopy but I will say this...while he might overestimate Lin as a player and is always ready to defend his honor, even he acknowledges some (not all) of his limitations and accepts them.

The things that are crawling out from under the rock right now are simply....

[​IMG]

#7254 Zboy, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  15. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Haha! I set you up for that one, eh? :)

But I think you know what I mean - tweak, not cater. Of course if you change you system to make Lin your star player, you're gonna have a bad time.

But lets say we resign him at a reasonable contract, play him 30 mpg. Let him run a spread/PnRs with our athletic unit of Smith/Jones/Brewer/Ariza/etc., and then let Harden take a break and play off ball for some of the time when the two are on the floor together. Minimize the time you ask Lin to play "stand in the corner and occasionally back cut" as little as possible.

That is "tweaking." Harden is still the man, and runs the show for 90% of the time. But now you incorporate a great bench PnR game as another facet of our offense while getting the Beard some rest for the long run.

Would you rather have this, or Jason Terry...?

Just an example.

16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Uhhh no.

I'm talking about in general.

Actually posting here, you have one or two trolls, but you know, the internet is kinda a big place.

18. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Hahaha Zboy, I'm definitely a Yao and Lin fan! I don't think I've ever tried to hide that fact, but maybe you can dig up some posts that show otherwise...

I had high hopes for Lin when he got here, but I think I'm big enough to admit that he has disappointed for his contract.

I do try to be analytical for the most part in spite of my fandom, but I'm sure you can find posts where my homerism shines thru. :)

19. Panda23

Panda23 Member

are you sure about that? goYAO11?

hahaha ;)

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Lin once let corey brewer drop 50 points on him, true story