1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are We Witnessing the Greatest Shooting Guard in Rockets History?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deckard, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hakeem was elite on both ends, and a top 5 defensive player in NBA history (you could even argue #1).

Harden is elite on offense and average at best on defense.

It's not close

2. choujie

choujie Member

To be fair, you can't fault Tmac for that Dallas series. The main reason Rockets had 2-0 lead over Dallas was Tmac elevated his game to another level. Yao was still raw at that time, Ryan Bowen was playing PF against Dirk, Bob Sura was playing hurt. Rockets lost the critical game on a terrible call by refs, but they might get swept without Tmac's performance. Harden has not reached that Tmac level in playoffs yet.

Overall Hardern scores more efficiently, but Tmac's passes are not within Harden's reach. I also believe Tmac has slight edge on rebounds and defence over current Harden.

Of course That was Tmac's peak as a Rocket, Harden still has a lot years.

3. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Watching the Muse Documentary, I'm watching Kobe's ascension. From the airballs against Utah to just turning on another gear, I hope that Harden can join the list of athletes compared to Jordan.

Jordan called Kobe the new face, talent of the NBA. Cool to see Kobe acknowledge that about Harden, and I really hope Harden has that drive to reach that status.

I had an epiphany today just thinking that this guy could seriously win championships for us with that drive and I'm optimistic he will get us there.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

TMac . . .always had an excuse

Harden will never be able to catch up with the TMac Excuse Machine

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  5. choujie

choujie Member

That's a different story. I know many fans don't like Tmac for a good reason, but he did have his moment on the court though.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Terrific post. Also a 13 time All Star, the first as a rookie in the ABA. NBA Finals MVP. NBA Champion. Five time 1st team All NBA, 5 time second team All NBA. Led the NBA in minutes played twice, and didn't miss a game for 5 seasons. Led the league in offensive rebounds 9 times, in defensive rebounds twice, in total rebounds 5 times, 5 years in a row, an NBA record. Career points scored in NBA? Ranks 8th at 29,580.

Who was that? Former Rocket center Moses Malone, who took us to the Finals and was the mentor of Hakeem Olajuwon. Some folks around here need to brush up on their Rockets history.

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, yeah most people forget Moses Malone... I wish he won the championship as a Rocket, but at least we got him for two of his MVP seasons.

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, you beat me to it! I didn't go into as much detail, but agree with you on people that completely glaze over some of the best Rockets players (even all time great in this case).

1 person likes this.
  9. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

The MVP award is about team success as well. Considering, Harden's Rockets are ahead of Hakeem's Rockets (at this point of the season), it IS close.

Think of it this way, if both were playing today ('15 Harden's Rockets and '95 Dream's Rockets), who gets more MVP votes? It's an unanswerable question. That's my point.

Both are ballers of the highest order.

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I'm not comparing careers. I'm comparing seasons.

It very clear that Harden, so far, is having a season on par with Dream's best individual season.

Reading, it's FUNNNNdamental.

Some of you folks get so sensitive.