1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Blaine's "Street Magic"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Jan 14, 2005.

1. noize

noize Contributing Member

I saw his commercial the other day about a new series of his street magic show, but I can't remember the channel. Does anyone know the date,channel and time it will air? Also what do you guys think of him?

2. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

I'll be interested if he goes back to the one on one in your face magic he used to do. The crap he has done lately is weak.

"Living in a box with no food isn't a magic trick. It's called the 'The projects'!"
    - Chris Rock

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Usually TLC or A&E shows his stuff.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

His magic is the same magic all the street people do, but I give him credit, because his presentation was much better.

5. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

I agree. I don't know what to think about the trick where he hovers over the ground for a few seconds. A Jedi mind trick?!

6. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

[waves hand] This is not the droopy-eyed magician you're looking for...

[​IMG]

7. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

It's a cheesy sight gag. The camera's make it look like he's hovering for the sake of t.v. Unfortunately, up close all he does is stand at an odd angle and lift one foot while lifting himself off the heel of the other foot.

8. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

That one is terribly easy. It just takes a lot of physical strength in your feet.

But I do agree his presentation is by far the best of "any" magician I've watched.

That crap in the ice and other endurance feats aren't what made me like him. Stick to what got you here.

9. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Waitaminute now. I've seen that trick and I've seen camera angles where you can see both of his feet completely off of the ground. Besides that, the reactions of people around him when he does it (he even did it in front of the Dallas Cowboys in their lockerroom) make it seem that much real.

10. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Belive me it looks real even in person. He is great at what he does. But enough of the Houdini.

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

In his videos, the view he shows you on camera is after the fact, he's got some kind of stilt thing he uses to make it look like he's really hovering. What you see in person isn't as dramatic, but I mean he's a magician, not a wizard, his job is to make you think you are seeing magic.

I prefer his other tricks. One of the coolest I've seen was a card trick where somebody picks out a card and he just tosses the whole deck on a table and moves them around. He then takes a knife and just stabs down on the exact card that the person picked.

12. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

what about those tricks where some audience picks a card and puts it back, and its suddenly in that person's back pocket?

i dont get the feet strength explanation for the hovering thing.
    and wouldnt the people around him, including deion sanders, notice the trick?

13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Well, you'll notice he has them stand in a certain spot. It's a fairly old trick and you can find instructions in any magic shop; Blaine just happens to do it better than anyone I've ever seen.

My favorite trick is when he has someone pick a card, replace it, then he throws the deck at a restaurant window and the card is stuck face-out, on the OTHER SIDE of the window. No clue how he does that one.

His biting the quarter trick is sweet, too.

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw one one time where he finds some homeless person on the street who has a cup of coffee. He takes the cup of coffee, holds it from the bottom and somehow a buttload of change (money) rises up from the bottom. The homeless guy must have been a plant, because I can't think of how that would work without some kind of trick cup.

15. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

That dude got to date Fiona Apple:mad:

16. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I get how he does that levitation trick, but all those weird card tricks he does...:eek:

17. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

Explanations of many of David Blaine's tricks can be found here:

http://ghettomagic.50megs.com/catalog.html

The hard parts are the preparation and the delivery. But even David Blaine isn't perfect. Keep in mind that his specials show only his successes and are heavily edited post production.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

By far, my favorite trick is the one where he dates Josie Maran. Can someone post how he pulls that one off? I'd really like to try it.

Thanks.

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Yeah, what's the deal with magician's dating really hot women? David Blaine with Josie Moran, and David Copperfield dating Claudia Schiffer. I always thought magicians where pretty lame. I guess chicks dig it.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

lmao. i remember seeing both of them on howard stern and she said she would bring home other hot models from time-to-time for 3-ways. i was floored.