1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Full Audio of Trevor Ariza Conference Call

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 18, 2014.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Some really nice quotes. No matter what your opinion of Parsons, it's evident that Ariza's mentality is in a place where Parsons' is not. Ariza has passed the hurdles that Parsons hasn't, or has ignored so far.

For example:

"The first time I was here it was like my rookie year because I never had the ultra-green light to make plays happen, to be that main guy. That was my first time in those shoes, to have that role. A lot of work goes into that, a lot of patience."

“I learned patience and I learned my game. I learned what can do. I know what I can’t do. I always know I have room for improvement and growth as well.”

not...

"I'm the best small forward in this series." (Before losing the series).

2. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Something I haven't heard you address is the Dwight factor. If you have somewhere, I've just missed it.

If Morey promised Fegan to let Parsons be an RFA as a condition of Dwight signing, how does/would that effect the way you view Morey's competence/culpability in the whole thing?

If it was let Parsons into RFA or don't sign Dwight, then how do you feel about it?

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That's not a PR issue. Everyone is in Vegas for Summer League still -- can't plan around that when it's an ongoing tournament. Media needs to get quotes from Trevor quickly. Conference call was a good idea. The Rockets' PR department has been really good anytime I've needed something.

Good question. I still want to write about this but honestly don't know if I'll be available to find the time like I'd like.

My view is this -- I do believe that was the case, but can't be 100% certain. I know there is a lot of anger with the agent. But while we're looking at it as "what we don't know", you also have to look at this at "what the Rockets knew that we didn't know."

If we believe this was the case, that it was part of the Dwight Howard deal, then that means the Rockets knew Parsons would be a restricted free agent this summer for a full year. 365 days to prepare for that moment. Something to think about.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Chandler said today that he thinks they let him out early to lock him up at a cheaper price. Add that to Morey saying the contract was untradeable, and I think it had to do with Rondo or Love. I think the Rockets were prepared to trade him for either later this season. That's why Morey kept saying he'd be back. He would have been back, but shopped later in the year locked into a long term deal.

The Fegan thing makes for a juicier story, but I think a trade makes more sense.

1 person likes this.
  5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Are you saying there is a lot of anger with Fegan from the Rockets organization? Would that be based on him possibly trying to actively lead CP away from the Rockets or based on the possibility that making CP an RFA this summer was part of the Dwight deal or both?

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Clutch, when you do say what you have to say, please keep in mind that bringing back the team we had, was bringing back last year's team that lost in the first round.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would definitely think the Rockets have a lot of anger directed towards Fegan right now. Rockets basically gave one of his clients about $14 million dollars (granted Dallas is actually the ones giving him the money) by not exercising the team option, but Fegan can't even give the Rockets a few days before having his client sign a new contract. Heck, it couldn't even wait 15 minutes for Parsons to get out of the club.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't see the problem with that like some people. Teams gell, they grow together and they get better as a unit. There is nothing to say the Rockets could not have added a piece while keeping the core together.

The Mavs lost in the 1st round a few years ago and then added one piece (Tyson Chandler) and went on to win the NBA Championship. At the time no one really thought much of Tyson Chandler, teams were trading him just to get him off of their books.

A few years ago the Spurs lost in the 1st round with the same core (Duncan, Ginobli and Parker) that they won the NBA Championship with this past season. The only meaningful change in the line-up was a non-lottery pick (Kawi Leonard) and an over seas Eurostash (Tiago Splitter).

Even our very own Houston Rockets lost in the 1st round to Utah in 1985 before advancing to the NBA Finals the very next season with what was basically the exact same core (minus John Lucas).

It's impossible at this point to say who the Rockets could or would have added to the team if they had kept CP25 but to just assume that the team is not good enough to win a championship next season or advance out of the 1st round just because they lost to Portland this past season is flawed thinking. The Rockets might have been able to bring over one of their Eurostash players that would make a Tiago Splitter like impact. Maybe Nick Johnson is that player that can make the last second stop on Damien Lillard and make the rotation better. Maybe a season with Troy Daniels in the rotation and he becomes a staple of the rotation raining 3s and scoring points in the bunches. Who could we add using the full MLE and Bi-Annual to make the bench stronger? Could Omeke Okafor come in and flourish in a role off of the bench? I still think Ariza and CP would have been a great duo together and would have no doubt made the team better.

I'm personally a fan of keeping the core together and switching out the role players as needed. The Spurs do it all the time, Bruce Bowen to Kawi Leonard, George Hill to Patti Mills etc... Just because you lose in the 1st round one year does not mean you scrap a 54 win team that is still getting better and growing and learning to play together. I personally think Daryl Morey would like to establish a core and keep them together as well but I guess he just saw Chandler as a replaceable piece to the puzzle and not a true core player.

Terrence Jones will no doubt be better, after all there were people drafted in this years draft that is just as old as he is. Some coaches believe that players make their biggest jump as a pro from year 2 to year 3. Terrence just finished his first year as a starter and is making that year 2 to year three jump this season so I expect a jump in production from him.